1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Subaru Solterra First Drive

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2023 Subaru Solterra First Drive | Driving

Emphasis is mine.

I assume the bZ4X and RZ450e are the same. Björn mentioned the two charge limit on his 1,000km challenge of the bZ4X. That took 14h25m. Or slower than a Bolt/Ampera, LEAF+ and i3. For comparison, Model S/3 are in the 9-10 hour range. EV6/Ioniq5 are in the 10 hour range.

Yup, found the supporting document

https://support.toyota.com/s/article/bZ4X-Charging?language=en_US

john1701a likes this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That information is already old. The software update coming in May will increase the number to almost 4, specifically 3.86 times per day. Not sure of algorithm detail. It really doesn't matter. The point was Toyota puts emphasis on longevity, seeking a balance between perceived necessity and actual. There's no good way of predicting owner behavior. We know it will differ from enthusiasts and in regions where DCFC availability varies.

Here's what Toyota released on Feb. 15 in Finland about that: The daily limit of DC charging is increased from two (2) to four (4). The charging event itself is still dependent on the conditions (e.g. the outside temperature and the charge level of the battery at the start of charging), and its speed between 0 and 80% will not change with this update.

When you read reviews from actual owners, the story plays out differently. They are not anywhere near as well informed, nor will many push their vehicle in that manner. Seemingly simple matters, like battery temperature, take on a complexity making purpose & outcome quite unpredictable. Heck, we've seen that with Prius the way owners use EV mode and on Prius Prime they way Charge-Mode is used. For bZ4X & Solterra, there's the problem of using a pre-condition option in a manner that would result in a penalty rather than a gain.

This is exactly what I routinely harp on... know your audience. There is a lot more market learning & adaptation to come, especially with regard to region differences. Sharing my own experiences should be starting in the next few weeks, then we won't have to rely on hearsay and third-party sources. I now have a VIN number and it has arrived at port.

#2 john1701a, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    btw, this is the instrument view I had while at the dealer. I suspect reviewers are unaware of the variety of adjustments available for steering-wheel and seat.

Note that Gen-5 Prius will have a similar gauge layout.

20230121_141315.jpg

#3 john1701a, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Everybody has a different body, and a different position that they find comfortable.

The NZ also has a similar dash layout. It also has the yoke/steering-by-wire option. All these models were likely designed for a yoke, as not having a top half of the steering wheel allows better placement of the dash display for focusing between looking at it and the road.

The daily cap does limit the model's usefulness to those looking for something to use on road trips. Increasing the number should improve trip speed over a Bolt. Beating an EV with 50kW DC charge limit should have been such from the beginning.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or the audience was China.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Saw a real Solterra for the first time, although I still have not seen a bz4x. It is a nice-looking SUV. I really like the styling and this color more than the bz4x counterpart. This car could have been mine if I did not cancel my order last mid-summer after learning it no longer qualifies for the tax credit. I just checked a few local Subaru dealers, and as it turns out, right now, multiple Solterra models are available in stock for a quick sale at MSRP. It is easier to find it than Bolt. But at a price tag more than double of Bolt, no wonder why it is not selling.

upload_2023-3-15_11-52-53.png

#6 Salamander_King, Mar 15, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Tideland Prius and John321 like this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You made the right choice.

Bob Wilson

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, most people looking for an EV want one that charges faster & drives farther than the Subaru. Most who are willing to get an electric car are not willing to outlay a big purchase price with the feeling that it's "not as good" as a Gasser.