1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Subaru Solterra Official Thread

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 18, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm agreeing with John on this, about the same amount of time in Upstate NY where we have frequent lake effect snows. While I've noticed a range drop in my PP during winter, that's an older battery chemistry and design. I've always admired Toyota's improvements and conservative estimates over the years and if they say this battery will have improved cold weather performance, I wouldn't bet against them.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For me ~220 miles EV range of Solterra is likely to be fine even in winter for 95% of my use cases. In fact, there is not a single non-Tesla BEV out there that has a long enough EV range for me to drive for a long trip further than 250miles anyway. And even with the long-range M3 with ~350 miles of EV range is more likely to get stuck in the snow than Solterra equipped with AWD and 8.3 inches of ground clearance.

The problem is the price. No matter how I compare it, it will be a downgrade from our current PP and Pathfinder put together. Yet, it cost more than both of them combined. I was really hoping the Toyota and Subaru would come up with truly affordable BEV for the masses.

drash likes this.
  3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I downloaded the specs for the Subaru Solterra from the InsideEVs site and someone needs to double check their math:

https://cdn.motor1.com/pdf-files/2023-subaru-solterra-us-specs-pdf.pdf

It looks like Motor1 tried to make it look official but there are some questionable errors:

Lithium-ion: 96 cells, 72.8 kWh Rated
    voltage: 355.2v
    Rated capacity: 201 Ah
    Battery cooling system

In order to get to 72.8 kWh you need 205 Ah. The 201 Ah calculates correctly for the 71.4 kWh battery.

Also this thing seems to support a 32A L2 charger:

Type 1 (SAE J1772) combination connector system (CCS) Charge port on left fender

Approximate charge times: L2 240V@32a: 9 hours
    DC fast charging: 80 percent charge in about 56 minutes
    L1 240v @ 8a approximate charge time: 35 hours
    L1 120v @ 12a approximate charge time: 50 hours
    L1 120v @ 8a approximate charge time: 77 hours

iPad ? Pro

Tideland Prius and john1701a like this.