1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Toyota Prius - Mark Up and Sticker

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by PianoBench, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol. At least you folks in BC and Quebec get preferential treatment when it comes to ordering BEVs and PHEVs. Your provinces were smart enough to put regulations in place to encourage (sounds better than coerce) manufacturers to sell a certain # of zero emission vehicles, so the manufacturers actually make them available for purchase.

When our current provincial govt (Ontario) came in they dismantled programs that provided incentives to buy BEVs and PHEV's and install the charging infrastructure. Friend of mind just barely squeaked his rebate forms in for his Tesla 3. Happy for him, frustrated for myself.

#21 Nntw, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes. Demand is everything. Cars. Hybrids and BEV, through the roof.. Look at what Tesla is doing. Now is not the time to buy ANYTHING. Hell advacados...are $2 each for an organic one where I live. If you have to buy your best bet is to contact a dealership in the midwest or MS,AL,Arkansas where the people who want Hybrids or Primes are fewer....demand is low. Call the dealership. Order and put down a deposit with them. Fly out there and drive it back. You might pay $2 K over MSRP...or wait in Cali for your turn.....or overpay. sometimes alot it seems. When I moved and HAD to buy a House. DId I get what I wanted? yes did I overpay by $26K to get it? Yes..but I got it right away and was able to move only once and not TWICE to a rental or a storage unit until I found a house. I do have 30 years to make those extra payments of the $26K.....so I have time to reflect over morning coffee about it....often.
    The nice thing about a new car is unless your is totalled and your NEED is huge...one can wait. Patience does pay off. If your personal demand is low. I just bought new tires and suspension for my wife Prius because we are going to hold on to it for 2 more years. I did the exact same thing for my Prius almost 2 years ago. The suspension parts were up $200 overall and the tires were $160 more. All the parts are the same. But since my labor is cheap. (I work for coffee and kisses) it still is a better investment they giving my money to a dealer. IMHO. There are people who will pay $10K more than MSRP in cash with a smile on their face. For a house....yes, but for a car? and a Prius? Not an Range Rover Autobiography? ......not for me. But for many others.

BillBert and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our florida trip is 20% higher than 2020, whatareyougonnado?

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even in the U.S., I've already been waiting more than 2.5 years for an opportunity for a RAV4 Prime. Toyota doesn't ship any to my state, and dealerships in the nearest state that does get them, are apparently not allowed to sell to buyers beyond 50 miles. That works for buyers along the southern edge of my state, but not for those of us 100-200 miles away.

They do have a few used 2021 models to sell without those distance restrictions ... for more than the original buyers paid.

The very strong jobs report this morning suggests no recession for a while.
    You mean their price cuts?

#24 fuzzy1, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    BillBert likes this.
  5. BillBert

BillBert New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think the most maddening part is that even with the ability to pay cash and commit to the purchase you still cannot "get in line" for a fair price because of dealership interference.
    Toyota really needs to start offering sell direct to consumer. Let me worry about servicing and such...I just need the stealership out of the equation so I can order and get a delivery date.
    Its honestly like your money is no good these days...everybody has plenty and of it and if they dont the bank will lend them plenty at 10%

6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Exactly. I have $50K in cash on a briefcase at their doorstep..........and I'm waiting in line behind 5 other people....with briefcases....full of cash.:mad:

BillBert likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a grocery store in argentina

Bobo99, Roqu3 and BillBert like this.
  8. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unless I get into a situation where I absolutely must have a car now (like an accident/total) I will never buy a car with a “dealer adjustment” like that clearly stated. If they sneak one in and I don’t notice that’s on me, but that is insulting.

TGTGUUD and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  9. dctalk523

dctalk523 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the prime is beyond impossible to purchase I'll settle for an xle. Noticed some dealers are selling the Prius at MSRP w/ no adm.

Ming C and Kramah313 like this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the legal for car makers to sell direct to customers in your country or province? In the U.S., numerous states ban or restrict direct car sales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/teslas-found-a-way-around-direct-sales-bans-by-putting-dealerships-on-tribal-lands

11. BillBert

BillBert New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

bisco likes this.
  12. Ming C

Ming C Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The new IRA bill passed in 2022 with the EV incentive changes have LARGELY affected the landscape of foreign PHEV/EVs. The Prius Prime, used to be an incredible deal with its tax credit and ability to get it at below MSRP...is now much much less attractive.

Many are flocking to Bolts and Teslas and also PHEV (like a Escape PHEV, etc.).

And if dealer markup shenanigans continue as well as if the Prime is going to be much less produced...it will not make much financial sense to buy one.

For the majority of people, the best decision may be to utilize the used EV tax credit provision and get a used Prime for less than 25k and save taxes that way3

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe when (if) there are some used gen 5 available

Ming C likes this.
  14. McCarthy

McCarthy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad I got my 2023 Corolla Hybrid last week. Seeing 56 MPG so far, safety sense 3.0 is awesome, got a LE with convenience package at MSRP for 25k, no waiting, no mark-up / no BS dealer options (they tried), made in Japan. The new Prius looks better, but not 5, 10 or 15k better.

15. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and especially for a Prius whose goal is to achieve ultimate cheapness. "Dealer adjustments" make the fuel efficiency irrelevant. Why not spend that on gas for a similarly priced (and reasonably) but more fun car (slightly used) like a STI, a Type R, M240, etc...and come back to a Prius when there is no markups?
    It looks like a Ferrari now but it is not one.

Ming C likes this.
  16. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    "
    Glad I got my 2023 Corolla Hybrid last week. Seeing 56 MPG so far, safety sense 3.0 is awesome, got a LE with convenience package at MSRP for 25k, no waiting, no mark-up / no BS dealer options (they tried), made in Japan. The new Prius looks better, but not 5, 10 or 15k better.

#34McCarthy, Yesterday at 11:51 PM"

So unless you’re buying the Prime, what’s the point of the Prius?

The hybrid Corolla sedan does everything the Prius does, but for less $$.

If you want more cargo room, but a small package, the hybrid Corolla cross is on its way. Also, I suspect, for less $$ than the Prius.

My opinion, the only Prius that makes sense is the Prime, if you're able to recharge it frequently and run mostly on the battery

#36 Nntw, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Ming C and McCarthy like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hatchback

it's too bad we don't get one in n/a

Nntw and McCarthy like this.
  18. McCarthy

McCarthy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love a Corolla Wagon plug-in / prime hybrid. All the room, enough battery for daily errands, no Prius price.

bisco, Nntw and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

We don't have a hatchback Corolla hybrid, let alone a Corolla wagon hybrid or Prime, simply because at that point Toyota wouldn't need a Prius.

Maybe it's because they regard the Prius as a 'halo car', but you really have to wonder what the point is of keeping it as a separate model, when its reason for existing- hybrid drive- is now featured in Corolla's, Camry's, Venza's, etc.

If the Prius Prime is too expensive for what you're getting, well, then perhaps the Rav4 Prime can fill that niche.

Assuming, of course, that you can get a Rav4 Prime.... but who's to say that a Prius Prime won't be just as elusive.

McCarthy likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's the dilemma Toyota is trying to answer with the gen5. To me, it looks more like the answer is that the Prius will end up a Japan only model like the Aqua. Both are popular there, and things like the tire sizes were chosen for that market.

Europe no longer gets the Prius noplug. They have the Corolla sedan, hatch, and wagon with choice of 1.8L or 2L hybrid system. The Corolla also doesn't have an import tax added.

Prius np sales in the North America is low; it's the range that lead to the big sedan models being cancelled. There are now more choices in the event of a gas price increase, so that won't boost Prius sales much. Without the Prime, it may have been cancelled for here too. Not having the 1.8L further differentiates the Prius from the Corolla hybrid, but the performance of the 2L is hoped to bring in new buyers. With more efficient options available, maybe making the Prius a power hybrid will save it.

More likely, the Prius Prime will end up the sole export from Japan.

Nntw likes this.