1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 UAW Strike Thread

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Sep 15, 2023.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can't speak for the workers who decided to start and join the union, but I doubt it was for the free bumper stickers.

Something of it will show through in the finished product. Sometimes in the quality, and always in reputation.

When I buy the things I need to live my life it sure helps seal the deal when I know the labor doing the work is contributing to my local tax base. Better still if they are well paid and get good health benefits, because they're less likely to get sick, get into trouble, go homeless or run out of money when they get sick halfway through retirement.

Next best would be buying from an foreign company that exploits foreign labor, because I don't live there and those downstream consequences won't affect me as much.

Dead last on my list is an "American-owned" company that ships jobs out of the country or worse still, directly exploits Americans in their own homes. That's how entire states and regions have been economically hollowed-out by industry after industry. The owners aren't paying tax in my zipcode or yours, if they're paying anything at all.

To put it another way, I like the philosophy of Americans pushing each other upward instead of tearing each other down.

Trollbait likes this.
  2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    100% wrong.

Toyota pays taxes on the products they make here - their employees pay city and county taxes in the county that houses the plant.

They provide good honest wages and benefits to all their employees and attract countless other non-union suppliers who do the same for their employees. Their employees all then spend their money in the American economy.

Toyota also is unrivaled in supporting the communities they are in with additional gifts and support for the education and trade schools. Toyota even has a department in our local University to study the Toyota Production System. Their non-union supplier do exactly the same.

The entire Southeast United States is now filled with non-union automotive facilities Kia, Nissan, Hyundai, Subaru, Tesla, Toyota and on and on all providing good paying jobs and taxes to their host communities making life better in those areas.

There is no reason for a company to put up with the labor strife and management/employee conflict dynamic nor any reason to be held hostage by a militant corrupt union.

United Auto Workers Seek to Shed a Legacy of Corruption - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

New union head for auto workers promises militant contract bargaining and activism : NPR

Union membership is a slanted regional type of thing. I realize how ingrained unions are in the Northeast and am happy to acknowledge that. Many areas of our great nation have a very different view of unions.