1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Update on Key Replacement Cost

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by BobcPDX, Feb 10, 2023.

1. BobcPDX

BobcPDX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I swore I'd post my experience since I couldn't seem to find the answers I needed to make my key replacement go smoothly.

Thanks to some low-life piece of garbage thief who stole my backpack with my keys (and my laptop) in San Francisco, I had the good fortune of replacing my key fob to my 2010 Gen 3 Prius.

Key Choices
    1. There are currently a bunch of new aftermarket fobs for $50 on Ebay. The sellers all say "do NOT use Techstream." Didn't trust 'em to give me support, so I passed those by.

2. New OEM fobs are over three times that - $150+.

3. There are new, Toyota sanctioned aftermarket fobs that are slightly less expensive (think they were Ilco.)

4. Used fobs are in the middle, but they have to be sent out for them to be "cleared" to virgin condition. Too much of a pain in the rear.

5. Solution: I found sffobsinc.com in Florida. They offer new aftermarket fobs for $60, and they support them. They, too, said NOT to use Techstream.

For anyone in Portland, I took it to A-MAX Security in Beaverton. They added it using Smartpro. Took them all of 60 seconds. Seriously, sixty bucks and sixty seconds. They asked $38 for cutting the physical key. Pretty sure you can find cheaper, but they provided excellent service and dealt with my questions, and I was ready to just be done with all the crap the scumbag thief has thrown into my life.

So, get a fob from sffobsinc.com for $60, if you can get your car to A-MAX they'll do the programming for $60. And if you can get the spare cut for well under $38, do that.

If this helps you out, be a good human, earn an honest living, and be sure to help out somebody else when you get the chance!

wr69, IDs mak and ASRDogman like this.
  2. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the info.(y)

Out of curiosity, how much does a Toyota dealer charge to add a new key to the car (including cutting a physical key)?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought this was about a 2023 model :p

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Time always brings the market correct I wouldn't pay 150 plus dollars for a key fob for any of these stupid things especially after 2010 it just got easier not harder they want you to believe it is or whatever and what is all this security for exactly what so the car lot that you didn't pay can come back and steal your car back or whatever absolutely It's not security for me I don't even need any security I walk around and leave the keys and everything I drive in everything I drive almost everywhere I go including the bad part of town because usually I can look out a window and look directly at my vehicle whichever one I'm driving at the time whatever I am so I don't feel the need to lock it up and do all the security stuff I know people need to I understand that but this stuff is not that complicated and paying two and $300 for a remote just doesn't make any sense hell that's enough for a used iPad or I book or whatever the hell let alone remote for a stupid car but $60 sounds perfectly reasonable No problem at all be happy to pay it just to have it done with whatever computer they're using I don't care doesn't really matter

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Aslongasyouinsistonnotusinganypunctuationinyourposts, Idon'tcarewhatyouaretryingtosayeither.

kc410, Kromis, Mendel Leisk and 4 others like this.
  6. DPri

DPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Waste of time and money.
    Maybe just me but paying $60+$60 =$120 for cheap ars knock-off fob with questionable quality and reliability not very smart in my opinion considering for $30 more you can buy real OEM fob and program yourself via techstream or even pay someone few $. OEM fob will last lifetime - till you lose it again or junk your car - whatever comes fist.
    p.s. aftermarket fob can be bought for $8-$12 each in bulk from china (if you know where to look for..)

#6 DPri, Feb 22, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The only thing I'm buying from China is the case and the rubber buttons like $12 I see no difference from the fake Chinese case to my real one both parked next to each other both equally thrown on the ground dropped and stepped on about the same amount of times The newer one still looks a little better as it's not become all shiny and smooth riding in a pocket and the new one the fake one the case I rarely put in my pocket so it still has the grain in the plastic and all none of that matters to me It's just what I observe The board inside of the given case is the Toyota green board and if it's SKS it has the transponder chip moved over in the little slot in the bottom of the case other than that the only cheap junk is the black plastic that I'm looking at but it's a lot newer than the 2009 remote that came with the car I'll probably move a new plastic skin to the old remote soon. And yes you can just go to LKQ in places and find plenty of Toyota remotes from all makes and models Lexus Prius regular Toyota mini buttons as you like two three whatever I don't know if all of them can be programmed to any car but there are plenty to be had. I've got a drawer full of leftover Toyota remotes from the late '80s all the way up until 2013 never really thought about using them but now maybe we'll give it a whirl it'll be funny carrying around a three-button van remote with a side door button operating my Prius.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And my buddy the van remote to drive my Prius and tell him to get in the back door just use the bottom door button It should open automatically haha

9. BobcPDX

BobcPDX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a quick update:
    Everything is working fine with the aftermarket fob.
    I'd definitely recommend them. (and it's sffobsinc.com)
    Note again that A-Max did NOT use Techstream, so I can't speak to that.
    I hope this helps you. Ridiculous markups for replacement keys is a completely unjustified ripoff, a market inefficiency that should be leveled by aftermarket alternatives like this.

StarCaller likes this.
  10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Generally if you ask it LKQ or the local U-Pull-It yard wherever you might go sometime they'll pull out a box full of them and let you pick a few the Toyota ones I can pick real easy I don't know the rest of them and buy what I've seen recently it looks like you could use a three-button van remote with the side sliding door to operate your Prius and really confuse everybody.

11. DPri

DPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see the logic here., aftermarket $120 knock-off key sounds like great deal but Toyota genuine $150 key described as ridiculous markups and unjustified ripoff.., not to mention that website URL posted third time in this thread............

Tombukt2 likes this.
  12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Neither do I if you're looking at it like that But now generally speaking that I know I can just go grab a remote at LKQ that even remotely looks like any of our Toyota remotes can probably be programmed by tech to work one of our cars like I say my 01 sienna van remote is almost identical in shape and size and series of manufacturer and all that as my '04 Prius and apparently it looks like they work and communicate on similar or same frequencies like the TPMS set up does so if that's really a thing then remote should be as plentiful as peaches in Georgia. You know there are salvage yards down in Georgia USA that have miles of Prius generation 2 cars for parts seriously I've seen pictures I haven't physically traveled to any of these yards because I'm kind of lazy and I don't get from North Carolina to Georgia a whole lot but it's not that far these are out in places like Conyers miles of parts If you look online like on eBay you can see these yards and Conyers Georgia that are selling parts and when you see the Prius car that the parts are coming from look behind that car you see a line going all the way to the trees

13. stevec5088

stevec5088 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    LE
    Thought I'd update this thread...
    I bought a used 2019 Prius C, and discovered AFTER all papers were signed, that the car only had ONE key fob, and that one didn't have the Toyota logo, so it was aftermarket, too.

The Toyota dealer here wanted $195 for the key fob, $195 to program it, and another $95 to cut the metal key. over $500 after sales taxes are added.

I found "Tom's Key Company", and they have a process to program your own duplicate key. I ordered from them: the Smart Key (Prius C has a push button start) for $115, a $55 Key-by-photo metal key copy (works perfectly), and their key programmer device (rental $60, plus a $120 deposit, refunded on return). So in the end, $225 for the second key.

Programming went just fine. The replacement locks and unlocks doors, and the car starts when the pushbutton is pressed. The only down side: The original key will start the key without a fob battery if you hold it close to the start button, but the new programmed replacement will not do that -- so we just can't get caught with a dead key fob battery.

So I got my second key at half the cost of a dealer-supplied version.

Also, a family member has a 2016 Highlander, and they only had one key. They purchased a Smart Key from Tom's Key, and we used the same programming device to program it. Curiously, the programmer process reported the programming "failed" -- we repeated the process three times even, no luck. But then the Smart Key worked anyway. So they got their second key, and used the key-by-photo, too, to get their second key.

#13 stevec5088, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    CR94 likes this.
  14. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If anyone in So Cal needs a remote programmed for a low low price, hit me up. We can meet at Cal Poly Pomona and I will code all keys brought with you to your vehicle for $60

Derek kelleher likes this.
  15. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thx bob for the tips. this key monkey business is a pain and expensive. so ill give A-max a try.

16. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Public Service Announcement: Anyone considering this should do a complete search history regarding black_jmyntrn. I'm not saying anything one way or the other -- and I'm not going to get into a debate or reply to this thread further. But if you are giving up the programming to your key to ANYONE, you should make sure you do due diligence.

Hybrid Ron and Tombukt2 like this.
  17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You mean like somebody came to do this guy's key and then stole the car or committed some other crime yeah I guess that could be a thing with people from like off craigslist real locksmith that do this kind of stuff get their stuff handed to them pretty good when court time comes so they generally are pretty careful folk of course fly by nighters was software and key cutting machines don't necessarily have to be locksmith. I hadn't heard the story or saw the post that I know of

18. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think anyone who has posted numerous stuff on priuschat and has Prius blogs about improvements, enhancements, etc. would deliberately try to do something bad. so, I would trust black_jmyntrn if I were close by in so_cal.

And getting on to the second topic, of generally trusting anyone that's not a dealer to do work, that's probably 75% of the purpose of this whole chat forum. so we have to accept some risks for the benefit of saving money or doing something better than the dealer / pro-shop; and often, this is quite easy to do. that's why most of us are here on this forum.

Regarding the key, I just had my key programmed by a locksmith with an "advanced diagnostics smartpro" computer device. I didn't get the model, but it appeared to be a purpose-built advanced odb-type machine. These advance OBD scanners appears to cost anywhere from $500-$3000. Any hobbyist with a desire could probably acquire one. And during the programming, I doubt it's possible to store any private key (digital information) from the fob on the computer such that you could reverse engineer the fob at a later date, and then break into the car. also, during the programming, you have to hold the key up to the power button. So if you come with two keys (the current one and the new one), and the programmer holds up just two keys to your power button, I think you are pretty safe.

As a PSA for any lost keys: I would almost be worried more about those, as the "lost" key is often left programmed in the car's ECU computer (still active), but you don't know where the actual key is. In my case, the key has been lost for 8-10 years and I still have my car, so wasn't too worried about it. But if you suspect any malicious intent WRT the lost key, better have that wiped from the computer during the programming of the new one.

#18 wr69, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  19. Hybrid Ron

Hybrid Ron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Overlanding is solo proprietorship run by black_jumntrn. Check out these threads: I have NO personal experience. It might be all smoke and no fire. But worth checking out before permitting key cloning.

FIRST -- from this Prius Chat forum -- 224 replies
    Buyer Beware: PriusOverlanding is a scam | PriusChat

SECOND -- from Reddit -- 34 replies
    (71) Anyone have issues with PriusOverlanding.com? : priusdwellers (reddit.com)

THIRD -- another Reddit thread -- 22 replies
    (71) Prius overlanding problem : prius (reddit.com)

FOURTH -- Trustpiolot -- 11 reviews, all zero stars
    PriusOverlanding.com Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.priusoverlanding.com (trustpilot.com)

FIFTH -- Official Facebook page for PriusOverlanding -- 18 reviews, 2-star average
    (12) PriusOverlanding.com | Facebook

SIXTH -- Prior to changing to Prius -- Experience of Scion community
    BAD GUYS : tCtunerz | Page 3 | Scion tC Forums (yoursciontc.com)

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::barefoot::barefoot::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
    Perhaps craigslist would be a safe place????