1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2024 Ford F-150 Lightning to Includes Vapour-Injected Heat Pump on All Models

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla is using the equivalent of ground source vs air source for their heat pump. Heat pumps work by moving heat around; it's in the name. Cooling is moving excess heat out of the space. Pretty straight forward. Heating becomes trickier as the heat needed to move into the space likely isn't abundant outside when you want to warm things up.

When getting that heat from the air, there will be a point when there simply isn't enough heat there for the heat pump to collect, and the system stops working. Ground source means getting heat from under ground, where the temperature level is at a constant level. Can't do that in a car, so Tesla(I think others might do this too) goes to places on the car where excess heat can be available when the air is too cold.

Vapor injected heat pumps can work at heating at even lower air temps than a standard model. They could be used in a ground source system. There just isn't any benefit to do so.
    How much would it have cost to do that a few years ago?

Air conditioning in cars has been standard for decades. Millions of units are made, and production has been optimized. The first EV using a heat pump might have come out a decade ago, and for a low production model. It takes time for production levels to increase. Tesla surely knew of the advantages of using a heat pump, but they used resistance heating for some time. Either because the cost was too high for them, or supply couldn't meet their demand. It has changed for them and others. i just can't say when heat pump production will be like AC production.

Aside, cabin heating doesn't have a big impact of official tests. The EPA cold temp cycle is only used in part to determine to adjustment factor for the window sticker, and car companies can choose to skip it.

#21 Trollbait, Oct 6, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder how much GM paid for the heat pump in the EV1. Would've come in handy now. It's in the lower left corner.
    EV1cutaway.jpg

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they destroy the plans with the cars?

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure all the info on the car is sitting in their archives. I believe around 40 were saved from the crusher, so they should have at least one in their collection. I know they still have the 1966 Electrovair and the fuel cell van they made.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if they are planning one for the ultium series

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Ultium series vehicles have heat pumps.

bisco likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    is there a link to that effect somewhere?

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was at the Chevy dealer, I asked the parts guy, who looked it up in the parts catalog. From the illustration, it's the A/C compressor and it looks pretty big, probably doing a reverse cycle type of thing.

#28 El Dobro, Oct 6, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    hill likes this.