1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

205/60R15 Tire Feedback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nyprius, Aug 19, 2009.

1. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm about to put 205/60R15 Toyo Extensa Tires on my 2005 Pruis. Over the years, I've read about many other Prius owners putting 205/60's on their Gen II Prius's. I have only seen positive comments about this tire size so far. For example, I've have not heard anyone say that the tire ever hits the wheel wells.

I want to double check though. Has anyone had bad experiences with 205/60's? Positive or negative feedback would be appreciated.

I am almost positive that these tires would work fine on the Gen II Prius. The radius of the 205/60 is .15 inches longer than the OEM 185/60R15. That means it would extend about 1/8th of an inch more into the wheel well, which does not seem like a problem.

The OEM size for the Gen II Prius in Europe and Australia is 195. 195 also is an option in Japan and North America. This means that the Prius Gen II is designed for a 195 tire. The 205/60 is about .3 inches wider than a 195/60. That means the width of the 205/60 would be about 1/8th of an inch more toward the interior and exterior sides of the tire. This also doesn't seem like a problem. As noted, every post I've read about 205/60's says they work well on the Gen II. (But I might have missed some negative ones.)

I put 195/60's on my car last time. They worked well. I'm leaning toward the 205/60 this time because it will partially correct speedometer over read, give about 1/8th of an inch more ground clearance, and improve handling, safety and appearance.

Again, any feedback about this tire size would be greatly appreciated.

2. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a set of Goodyear TripleTreds, they did an excellent job-no issues.

3. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks! I figured 205/60R15's would work very well on the Prius. Many PC members have said they do. I just wanted to double check to see if anyone has had problems with this size before installing them. My only concern is that the tires might hit the wheel wells.

But this seems highly unlikely, as proven by the fact that apparently no one has reported this.

The design tire size for the Prius Gen II is 195/55R16. This provides the 855 revolutions per mile of the US OEM size (185/65R15), but is .4 inches wider.

Comparing the 205/60R15 to the 195/55R16, the 205/60 would extend about 1/8th of an inch higher into the wheel well, as well as 1/8th of an inch toward the interior and exterior sides. I didn't think that an extra 1/8th of an inch in height and width on each side would cause wheel well scraping.

However, based on what others have said on PC, installing the 205/60R15's on the OEM 6 inch rims will enhance performance, safety and appearance, while causing little if any reduction in mileage.

4. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Frank,

You are welcome, it'd the least I could do given you are the reason I discovered the TT's (now on my second set).

I also read the reasons for your upcoming brand switch, and will anxiously await your full report on the new tires.

I may give Nokians a try next year, and hope I don't lose anything performance wise. I'm not sure I can better the TT's.

How much snow are you "blessed" with yearly?

Regards,

Dan.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not so sure. I recall F8L using 205s and reporting a big drop in mileage.

6. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    nyprius,

I am with hyo silver on this one. I think you will see a larger MPG hit especially initially going with the 205's on 15's.

I put the standard "upgrade" size of 195/60R15 on my 2006 and initially saw about a 2 MPG hit that has since leveled out to be about the same as the stock incrappities. So you might see an even larger hit that settles at a smaller one once "break in" is complete.

The handling, braking distance, etc... should be helped significantly with the 205's but only you can decide if it is significantly better than the 195's to justify the MPG hit.

Happy driving,
    Chris

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Running 205/45/17's and getting 51.7mpg

8. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had 205's, now running 195's- no change in MPG.

9. Neena2007

Neena2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm about to put 205/60/15's on the stock wheels. I'll send an update on how they perform compared with the 185/60's and also the 215/45/17's.

10. PCV-III

PCV-III New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Original TIRES - on our 2006 were replace in July, 2007 with Good Year Assurance Comfortred P185/65R-15 ~ we just returned from a 3.5 week trip to Crater Lake, OR
    that added 6506 miled to the odometer ~ it now shows nearly 92k = thus now 56k on the tires; yet have 30% tread. Pressure F= 38psi and R= 36psi
    Guess we'll keep going a little longer ~ before switching to Generation-III

11. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I put 205/60x15 Bridgestone Potenza 960 pole position tires on our 2005. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! Our gas mileage went down from 50mpg to 41 mpg and the ride is horrible! This despite the "first-in-class" rating on Tire Rack for just about everything (especially ride and noise performance). The only positive is that they have nearly 25,000 mile on them and show hardly any wear! (which is bad, because I want to dump them as soon as they get close to the wear indicators).

DON'T DO IT!!!

12. PCV-III

PCV-III New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    TIRE UPDATE on our 2006
    Replaced the P185/65R15 (Good Year) at 97,454 miles; they had just
    under 60,000 on them and it was determined -- worn-out -- by the
    tire dealer {even gave me a rebate on the 80,000 warranty from G-Y} so I had them replaced with another set ~ just like the others - -
    I've been well pleased with the car and overall performance and will go for a 2010 Prius IV+ in March.

13. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I put 205/60R15 Toyo Extensa's on my Prius about 5,000 miles ago. The mileage went down at first. Now it's about the same as with the 195/60R15 TripleTred's I had on the car before.

I love the Extensas because they provide a super quiet and comfortable ride. The TT's handled a little better on dry pavement. But the Extensas are much better on snow and ice.

The difference in noise level is like day and night. As the TT's aged, they got loud, even at 10 mph. The Extensas make no noise at low speed and hardly any noise on the highway. Plus they take bumps much more smoothly and quietly. At this point, I'll be sticking with Extensas for a long time.

14. jfogal

jfogal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi NYPRIUS
    I was wondering how the new Extensas work in the snow. I'm sure you have had plenty of chnces to see what they can do this year. I need to change my tires and I am leaning towards the Toyos but want a tire that can do well in snow and ice since I live in Minnesota. The Integretys don't cut the mustard. Thanks for your feedback.

15. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi jfogal,

I love the 205/60R15 Toyo Extensa's. I wrote a long post about my experience switching from the OEM (lack of) Integrities to the 195/60R15 TripleTreds, called "Tire Upgrade". The TripleTreds are excellent tires. But I think the Extensas are much better. Once again, I did a lot of research. Personally, I can't think of a better tire for the Prius than the Extensas. Of course, other owners have different criteria and preferred tires.

The Extensas are much better in the snow. They worked great this past Winter. As the TT's aged, they quickly got worse in the snow. The Extensas seem to have a much better tread pattern for the snow. Also, it's a much better tread pattern for minimizing road noise, not only when new, but as the tires age.

Toyo is a Japanese company that has been around a long time. They make mostly high performance tires. But they do an excellent job with passenger tires too. Plus Toyo sounds just like Toyota. It seems like a good match.

16. bsklute

bsklute New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you think about going with 195/60R15 Toyo Extensa A/S tires? I just picked up a used 2004 Prius which is in need of new tires and after reading several posts, this seems like a good option. I found them online for $55/ea. Comments?

17. erikaav

erikaav New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get the A/S or HP version of the Toyo Extensa?

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread is old. There are better LRR tires now available. Even LRR snow tires.