1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

20k Mile Service - I think they've used the wrong oil - again!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jun 3, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My car has just had its 20,000 mile service the other day and is now not running like it did/should!

Last time I got my car serviced they put the wrong oil in (not 0w20) and the car was slightly less economical in that I couldn't get to 60 mpg on a run, and the engine was a little bit more sluggish and slightly hesitant. The dealers called me back some weeks later advising that they weren't 100% sure they'd put the right oil in and changed it for 0w20 and low and behold all the problems went away immediately and I have since managed my best mpg of 72 uk mpg for a round trip of 40 miles to the next city.

Well after getting my car back from service yesterday I find that it is relecting the above problems. The invoice has billed me for 0w20 oil, but the car is not running the same as it did before. The engine is every so slightly hesitant, it doesn't pull away in Power as quickly but does sound smoother as though the oil is thicker. Also, after a trip to another local city I couldn't get more than 52 UK mpg out of the car where normally I get about 60 uk mpg! They left my copy of their service sheet in with the invoice to probably show they'd followed the rules, but the service sheet was for the NHW20 model years 2003-2009 and not the NHW30 2009- model! Are the service requirements the same? Or should they have replaced things on the NHW30 that were not needed on the gen2? Does the NHW20 use 15w30 oil and they've probably put that in by mistake?

How do I go to a dealers and say that I think they've used the wrong oil again! I know they have used the wrong stuff, but I know I'll be getting one big fob off if I go back yet again. It's crazy, Toyota spend millions of £ on designing a super economical car only to be at the mercy of the weakest link in the chain - the mechanic who thinks oils are all pretty much the same. I guess they are on a 1996 Toyota Carina, but the Prius is a different kettle of fish and my experiences show that wrong oil reduces economy. I am down about 60 miles on this tank already which doesn't sound a lot, but I fill up 2-3 times a week and 60 miles is about £6 ($9). As such this wrong oil is costing me £18 ($27) a week or just short of a grand a year ($1500) in fuel!!

Has anyone else had similar experiences? and who has any advice of how to diplomatically explain to the dealers that they bloody done it wrong again! In their defence I will add that the chief technician is very knowledgeable and was the one who instigated the call back last time to put in 0w20 oil.

2. AkustaVirtaa

AkustaVirtaa Sähköistäjä

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know about bad performance of poorer oil... When I was in 15000km service they did ask me which oil I want. When I did ask for 0W they said that they don’t have it on tab, so they use can and give me leftovers of the can. It was nice, now I have Toyota 0W oil for my bicycle chains too... 8)

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My NWH20 was a 2005 year model and the recommended oil was 5W30, I think they all used that weight. As far as I know there is no additional service for the ZVW30 that would cause your problem.

I guess I would just come out and say it, "I think you used the wrong viscosity of oil again . . . ." Next time be sure to remind them when you take it in, "it is not an NWH20 it's an ZVW30 and requires different oil". The chief technician probably does not have time to keep an eye on the guy in the lube bay. If it's like it is over here the guy in the lube bay is underpaid, overworked, and maybe not to careful.

EDIT: Actually there is one other thing, check your tires. If they have reduced the pressure, because their gauge is wrong or some other reason, and it will reduce your gas mileage.

4. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nitpick: 2009- Prius model code is ZVW30. The first two letters are derived from the engine family, the 2009 Prius has a 2ZR-FXE engine rather a 1NZ-FXE.

Dealers have a terrible habit of putting too much of whatever oil in. It should be a little below the MAX mark on the dipstick. I don't know why they have such trouble with this, to me MAX means 'maximum' and it's marked for a reason. (Well, I do know, they just dump in the prescribed amount from the bulk oil tank rather than putting enough to get to MIN then topping up. If it didn't drain fully - which it won't if cold - there's enough residual that adding the amount listed as 'capacity' will take it over MAX.)

It's quite hard to find 0W20 oil meeting the ACEA A1/B1 specs. The Americans have less trouble finding API SM grade, which is a lot easier to achieve.

1 person likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I can say is given your history with the service department and your current symptoms coupled with the use of the wrong service sheet I think your having your concerns is well founded.

If you are unhappy with the performance of your vehicle you have every "normal" right to express those concerns and ask for whatever protocal be followed...even if that means switching out the oil again. I don't think you need to feel bad about asking for this to be done.

Worst case scenario, your vehicle actually has the correct oil in it already...inwhich case it's a waste of an oil change, and a little labor for the technician..BUT you'd then know you have a different problem.

As far as being diplomatic? Just calmly express your concerns. Sometimes...often...these things go better than people expect.

Good Luck.

6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is why I do my own oil changes. A bit of a hassle, but far less than trying to figure out what the dealership did. Many other benefits to this, like tracking other vehicle maintenance issues like CV joint boots.

7. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :dizzy: oh god. i cant wait to see how they do me wrong here in greece! thanks for the heads up grumpy !

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can't you just do it yourself? It should save you time, money and the agony.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Burn me once, shame on you...burn me twice, shame on me. ;)

I'd find another dealer. Ask for the service manager, explain to them your experiences and that you're going to give them an opportunity to earn your business.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the UK does Toyota even use 5W-30 as a bulk oil, or something quite a bit heavier? Eg 10W-40?

The second summer I had my 2004 Prius, I had some heavy duty 15W-40 left over after servicing some heavy duty diesel equipment. It was barely enough to change the oil in the Prius

For summer at least, there was perhaps 2 mpg loss. No difference in how the motor ran

I would check the oil level first

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe they use 5w30 as a bulk oil for the petrol cars and something different for the diesels. I do know they have 0w20 for the Prius as they changed the oil about 4000 miles ago (we have 10k mile services intervals) because upon checking they realised they had put the wrong oil in at the 10k service.

Am giving them a ring tomorrow to test the waters. Unfortunately they are the only Toyota within a convenient distance, but have previously been OK. But like someone said in an earlier post - burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice....

I hear your comments on a 2mpg loss but it works out quite an expensive loss to me. Fuel here is much more expensive, especially over my mileage, so even £10 a week is £500 a year or £125 over the 10k mile service period. Definitely worth ensuring the correct oil is used. I had similar mileage losses with the wrong tyres also.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With my 2004 Prius I tried Mobil 1 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-20. No difference in fuel economy

The 4 litre V6 in my FJ

[​IMG]

the oil fill cap states 5W-30, but has been approved for xW-20. No difference in fuel economy but the motor made plenty of ticking noises running 0W-20

13. cobradb

cobradb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    re;the amount of oil .. many cars oil stick is no accurate

14. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They don't have 0W-20 oil in the dealership. Trust me. If they had I wouldn't have bought my own.

15. AkustaVirtaa

AkustaVirtaa Sähköistäjä

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All Toyota parts come from same central storage in Europe, and if we have Toyota’s 0W-20 oil in here why your dealer won’t have it?

My service guy did say that Toyota recommends 0W oil, but they can put in cheaper 15W if I want to. I did pay maybe 20euros extra for 0W oil.

16. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just because something is available from the storage doesn't mean the dealer actually ordered it or keeps it in stock!

I would have thought that oil that works below -28°C was pretty important in Finland, unless you drive enough to change it in time for winter, or I suppose are far enough to the south. I took a holiday at Iso-Syöte in February, which started out at about -25°C (-30°C on the tarmac at Kuusamo Airport), although it was a balmy -7°C by the end of the week.

15W is not really recommended for winter driving even in Britain, in a regular engine. The Prius engine has a very tight fit of piston to cylinder to reduce blow-by, so requires a very thin oil to fit in there.

The 'W' part is tested at -18°C and is the number of seconds for a given amount of oil to pour, so 15W takes three times as long to flow than 5W does. 0W is a 5W oil that pours at lower than -40°C, though the working temperature for flowing properly round the engine and maintaining pressure is supposedly 20°F (~11°C) above the pour point. (The other part gives the behaviour at 100°C but is based on a different quantity of oil.)

The site I got this information from (Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible) recommends 5W-30 oil for cooler climates in ordinary engines.

Back to GrumpyCabbie's problem: if they used the NHW20 service data there's a chance that the engine oil could be too low. The service data sheet for ZVW30 gives a capacity of 4.2L with an oil filter change compared to 3.7L for NHW20. The two cars take very different oil filters - the ZVW30 has a cartridge design with a replaceable paper filter, while the NHW20 has a complete replaceable unit. If the filter isn't changed the refill quantity is 0.3L less.

17. AkustaVirtaa

AkustaVirtaa Sähköistäjä

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s possible that I am confusing 15W to 10W or even to 5W, but my main point is that Toyota dealer can offer 0W oil if they want to. Just like you did say…

Not so many cars use 0W oils in Finland, because it’s “too expensiveâ€, with motor heaters (like Defa), you can start your engine in under -20 Celsius with poorer oils too.

I have been testing my “snow white†up to Rovaniemi City. It was then -20 to -28 Celsius there last winter.

I try to write more polite English, but I am sorry about my language skills… :)

Nice thing that you have been in Finland... :)

18. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow very wierd

No issue at my dealer here in Texas (Pat Lobb Toyota) on m y Gen III. They mentioned the 0W20 before I even did and then confirmed it was what they used when returning my car.

I would definitely not let them off the hook until you can confirm what they used

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Service Manager is on holiday but back on Monday. Will be giving him a call then. One wonders if his absence was the reason for the mistake in the first place?

20. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AS to why they don't have 0W-20 I have no idea. I remember this one that my brother works for (a really big one here in London) and they don't even have fully syn and I had to buy my own oil!
    But after a lot of customer complained then they switched to fully syn and thats only like 3 years ago!!

Even now they use the same fully syn as before so it is definitly not 0W-20 because they have this oil despensing machine and that goes to all the cars they service! So they all use the same oil except the diesel ones.

But If they did have 0W-20 I would have gotten free oil by now because my brother gets them free!! Like I said I had to buy my own and it cost me £120 for a bottle of 10 (10L). Why would I pay that when I can get it for free?

You think too highly of the Toyota these days.

There are some trade secrets I just can't tell here but you will be very very suprised what they are up to.

One heads up for people in the UK. If you ever plan to install a rear sensor at the back of your car at the dealers. Make sure when you buy you ask for Geunine Toyota Parking Sensors if you don't you will be sorry.