1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

210k Maintenance Catch-up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nownow, Apr 5, 2016.

1. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all:
    I've recently inherited my wife's 2008, which currently has 210k. Me driving it more (plus five temperature related red triangles this morning) has inspired me to try to catch it up on its maintenance. I previously posted a thread about oil usage, and based on the responses there, I'm planning to do the PCV at the next oil change. That said, this is what I've done during the life of the car.

88,000: Hybrid Inverter Water Pump (paid for after the fact via the campaign)
    100,000: 12v battery.
    145,000: Hybrid Inverter Water Pump (replaced again via recall)
    170,000: Front brakes
    175,000: Transaxle fluid
    210,000: Coolant service (tomorrow)
    212,000: PCV and Spark Plugs.

Guess my question is what else should I be doing or having done to really catch myself up? I can think of rear brakes someday (though they were checked at 170k and said to be okay) but I'm coming up short on other things.

I assume it would be good to get off my butt and at least do some kind of battery test, maybe get a grid charger, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on that until I know my oil usage situation is under control.

Thoughts and recommendations GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jason

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe the inverter coolant was replaced during the pump work, but if the dealer did that work, don't assume that. They didn't for the recall.

Brake fluid should be flushed.

If you've had pets in the car, check the battery vent fan.

Have you serviced the cabin air filter? Engine air filter?

So you got 212,000 miles out of the original spark plugs? And 210,000 on coolant?

Just curious, what does "five temperature related red triangles" mean? Engine or ambient temp?

3. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes and yes on the spark plugs and the coolant. Sparks will be done next week. Engine air filter every 15,000. Cabin filter at least annually.

Five times yesterday morning the red triangle went off, followed by an engine coolant temp alarm (little standard engine temp icon). Each time was about five seconds and then disappeared. Manual says to stop and see if the fan is running (it was) and I haven't seen an alarm since. Was a friendly reminder to do the engine coolant, so that's being done today. I've also noticed slower heat-ups, as well as the water sound in the dash, but never looked that up or connected it to coolant until yesterday.

The work ticket for both inverter pump changes specifies:

First one:
    PUMP ASSY, WATE TOG902047031 1
    SUPER LONG LIFE TO00272SLLC2 1

Second one:
    HV ELECTRIC WAT TO0400032528 1
    SUPER LONG LIFE TO00272SLLC2 1

I assumed the 00272-SLLC2 was the inverter coolant. Is that correct?

Ahh, the brake fluid ... I'm notoriously bad about that. I should probably have that done at some point. I assume that would not have been done on a standard brake job at the dealer.

Thanks!

4. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Better check for a coolant leak, maybe at the engine water pump. Keep a close eye on the reservoir level over the next few days, and you may want to pull the plastic cover and check the actual COLD radiator, just to be sure. It's notoriously hard to completely bleed the Prius--even the dealer messed up mine before I figured out how to do it myself.

Check the pump drive belt, too.

Regarding inverter coolant, maybe you got charged for topping off the system, not replacing. I had to pay extra for new coolant during the recall. Inverter coolant replacement is much easier to DIY, no special tools or scanner needed.

It's possible Toyota may have replaced brake fluid, but would show up as a separate service. I just bought a used Prius where that showed up in the Carfax report.

5. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks! I don't think I have a coolant leak, as the vehicle has spent its evenings in the garage, and I haven't seen anything suggesting that. Then again, I guess it would be a small leak. Silly question, is the reservoir between the engine and the inverter (?) the radiator reservoir or the inverter reservoir? Is there a second reservoir somewhere?

No extra line item on the brake service record...probably just did pads and resurface. I'll have to get that lined up.

6. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The typical leak, and it's pretty common on this car, shows up as pink crust below and around the water pump shaft (belt driven, passenger side of engine). You wouldn't see liquid.

There are two coolant reservoirs, one for the engine just behind the radiator on the PS of the car, the other by the large silver inverter closer to the DS of the car. They both use the same coolant but in separate loops. The actual radiator cap is under a black plastic cover (held down by six tricky anchors) just in front of the engine reservoir. Only check this when the engine is cold. And be sure to contain spills.