1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

215/45/17 my Michelin premier review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jimmyjam, Apr 29, 2014.

1. jimmyjam

jimmyjam WE KNOW ITS A PRIUS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THAT IT IS.

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new Michelin premiere 215-45 /17 my impression. I've done 500 miles and I am very happy with them. I'm averaging 48-50 mpg. The ride is quiet. Very responsive , superb in rain. I did a lot of research before buying. I even called Michelin tech engineers. The premier is a very new tire by design. It was not listed as a low rolling resistance tire on any websight. Michelin verified that the primacy is a not a LRR tire but that is rated 10 out of 10 for its " green " characteristics and that it is eco friendly and improves fuel economy . It is 10 out if 10 for comfort and wear rating( primacy was rated a 9. ) I told the Michelin tech folks that I had the primacy mxm4 and wanted to replace with the same. "These are the replacement for the primacy. " They will replace with the primacy within 30 days if I'm not satisfied. That's there 30 day promise. ( very nice, and at no extra charge) The premier weighs 20.17lbs and the primacy is abit heavier at 21.50 pounds. (215/4517)
    This came from the Michelin tech specs. The premier also has the 65 k tread warranty and the primacy was 55k. Since I have owned the primacy before, the only thing I noticed was the the primacy is a little quieter on the highway . And the premier does NOT come with the rubber extender lip Gaurds. My opinion. Either tire is a good choice! Hope this helps someone else. It was a bit of leg work, so happy to share the outcome image.jpg image.jpg

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the review. Hmm, too bad it doesn't have the rim protector. FWIW, our rims are getting pretty chewed and the Michelin Pilot's on there DO have rim protector. I just keep dabbing on silver touch-up pen; our silver body color is a perfect match.

jimmyjam likes this.
  3. jimmyjam

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. The rim protector is nice to have. My wheels are from a persona series. So I think it's a different color. I bit darker perhaps. Thanks for the thought though.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They do look a bit darker, I think...

Here's ours, shot near sunset:

Prius - 17 inch rim.jpg
    Prius - 17 inch rim - detail.jpg

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know what you guys are talking about the rims being easy to scuff up. I have already scuffed up one of those nice Ace Wheels that came on our Prius.

If I understand correctly you are saying the Primacy is "quieter" on the highway than the new Premier. Is that correct?

Here is a pic of the wheels and tires that are on our 2013. Came that way straight from the Gulf Coast Distribution Center. Come to find out the wheels are only available in our area. Very sharp looking in my opinion. Also very difficult to clean. Seven spokes with lots of grooves and angles...

DSC01545.JPG

6. jimmyjam

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I thought the primacy tire was a bit quieter on the highway. They disagreed in there ratings and rate the premier a bit quieter. Side by side there probably isn't realistically a large difference. Most if my driving is highway. I'm am very please with all aspects of the tire. And the fact that it is lighter than the primacy and will last longer(Would have liked the rim gaurd though).

7. jimmyjam

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They were well reviewed on Tirerack

Michelin Premier A/S

They are $147 a piece there, but Michelin's offering a $70 refund. So they'd be more like $130 each.

9. jimmyjam

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the best deal out there. They do add shipping on top of that then mounting and balancing. That's why I went local so I could do the tire exchange without return shipping ect, If I was unhappy with them. I will go this rout next time for sure. You would be in under 700 installed at this price. I paid 750 locally. The primacy would have been 700 all in at costco.

10. rob_z11

rob_z11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    These do fit in or these are larger rims than my 2013 base model?

T0LTE ?

11. jimmyjam

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Here is my update after 25 Days with the premier tires. (1200 miles)
    My air pressure was 40/38 respectively. The car would seem to grab the lines/ grooves on the highway I dont care for that ! so after letting the pressure down to 36/34 the mpg went down to 44-45. The premiers are quieter but you do NOT have near as good of response as you do with the primicy mxm4 and decreased milage. So....Michellin honored the 30 day promise. I now have new primacy mxm4 tires on. (which I have had before) these are rated as green x LRR. Back to my average of 50-51 mpg in regular mode / no-nonsense driving. I MUCH prefer the handling and mpgs of the primacy. Handling is 10 out of 10. Night and day difference. If you want a quieter ride the premiers was by far quieter. Also, the rim lip gaurd on the primacy is almost non existant. I again contacted Michelin, They did say they will continue to make the beloved primacy to meet oem manufacture contract demands. So the premiers will not replace them completely. I was HAPPY to hear that!! Hope this helps

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    so bottom line, get the primacy?

13. jimmyjam

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, yes. The primacy is a better choice for handling and mpg. If you want a slightly quieter comfy (sloppy) ride, go for the Premiers. But not very efficient in the mpg department

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jimmyjam,

Are you saying there's a rim guard on the Primacy, but not much? (in post #11)

Thanks.

15. jimmyjam

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct. Here is a photo. These tires are much better than the premiere for me.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP, I agree on the Primacy as the best choice all around as I have a set too. Like you said, it's a quieter ride than the OEM tires and good handling too.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is our Michelin Pilot 215-45R17. If it's any consolation I think the rim protector's similar.

image.jpg

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm getting a little closer to replacing our Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 215/45R17, and the two main replacement contenders are the Primacy and Premier. I'm not sure I need to replace, have 6/32" tread depth, but also:

1. the manufacture date is February, 2009
    2. the tread is starting to break up a bit
    3. there's some cracking, maybe not serious yet, but...

Are these knackered, or have some life still? Again, tread's not bad:

IMG_7875.JPG

19. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think they make the Primacys anymore, but I really liked the Premiers. Again, I no longer have the car, but if my Camry needed new ones, I'd pull the trigger. They are quiet and comfortable.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we put premiers on our hycam this summer, and when we took a trip down to nyc a couple weeks ago, got 49mpg on the dash over 500 miles. i'm sure that's up a few mpg's from the oem's.

Mendel Leisk likes this.