1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

215 width wheels on a stock '11 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Driver, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Driver

Driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all. I have been a reader on the forum for a while and now have a question of my own. I want to get winter tires (and a set of rims for those tires) and I would like a 215 width on them. Will this fit on a stock 2011 Prius without sticking out? What bolt pattern or other things should I know for purchasing rims?

Should I just get another pair of stock rims and get winter tires for those? What is the best size tire for the stock rims, it seems a few widths and sizes fit one rim size. I feel like these little stock tires couldn't have great icy/snowy grip.

I would love to see photos of your 2011 Prii with 215x17 or 215x16 wheels.

A photo of mine below for fun.

Attached Files:

#1 Driver, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Mabagal

Mabagal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes, the Prius Persona and Prius5 came with 17” wheels with 215 width tires.

Attached Files:

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure why you would want to do this. Our stock tires were 215/45R17, but for snows I went with 195/65R15. The latter will be much cheaper, and more effective in snow. These rims work:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2003-2008 corolla or matrix, CE, LS, S)
    steel rim lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

4. Driver

Driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rims that came stock on my Prius are 15". The rims say "15X6J 45". The tires currently on the front read 195/65R15. I assumed a wider tire would have more grip.

After a lot of reading it seems that if I get snow tires at all I should probably just have them put on my current rims after the all-season tires are worn out and if I did then I'd get 17" rims and summer tires to have the two separate sets. (As opposed to switching the tires seasonally on one set.) Does this seem like the most reasonable course of action to those of you who deal with snow and ice during the winters?

@Mabagal Thank you for that information. I did not know any Prii came stock with 17" rims. This bodes well for me as I prefer the looks of 17" over 15" rims.

@Mendel Leisk Thanks for that information. There don't seem to be very many stock Prius rims on CL near me so those Corolla steelies may be a good option.

Mendel Leisk likes this.