1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'22 model year fuel economy seems subpar

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusManVan, Apr 24, 2023.

1. PriusManVan

PriusManVan New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I have a new 2022 Prius (Tech). I live in Vancouver and my fuel economy in litres/100km seems subpar.

Since I purchased the car I have averaged roughly 5.5L/100km (42 MPG) and have about 2000km on it. I previously owned a 2005 Prius and consistently got 6.5L/100km (36 MPG) until the bitter end.

I drive in normal mode primarily. I live in Vancouver BC where it is cold and damp from October through May.

I thought I'd at least be getting 4.5L/100km (36MPG).

Any suggestions?

I can always give it a lengthy test drive and report back.

#1 PriusManVan, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  2. PriusManVan

PriusManVan New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    CORRECTION **"I thought I'd at least be getting 4.5L/100km (52MPG)."

I just gave it a little test drive.

After 10km I got 4.6L/100km, not bad. Conditions were wet and the outdoor temp was 8C (46F).

For the first few km it took me a while to go from 7 to 6L/100km, then I finally got below 5L/100km. Now Vancouver is somewhat hilly and maybe that explains the lag and why my overall average is 5.5L/100km over the life of the car. Also, I haven't been driving much outside my neighbourhood which has a few hills/inclines. So maybe that explains why I'm not averaging 4.5L/100km? To be fair it isn't exactly San Francisco.

Sorry for the double post

#2 PriusManVan, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you’re getting at least 1L/100km better than your old Prius so perhaps it’s your commute (too short?) or driving style that’s preventing better fuel economy? 4.6L/100km in the rain is pretty good. 5.5? Yeah I agree. It could be better.

IMG_8205.jpeg

This was done last week (when it wasn’t raining). Otherwise I was pulling 4.4-4.7L/100km over the last two weeks in the rain. It’s a 2016 Touring with 17” wheels.

4. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    There are a huge amount of variables when it comes to fuel consumption! Weather, Speed, Terrain, even passenger Weight! (I once sold a car that gave me 40 mpg to my brother who out weighed me by 100 pounds and the best he ever got was 25 mpg! But then again, he went through a set of brand new brakes in less than 5000 miles too!)
    My ‘22 XLE gets ~30 % less mileage at US Interstate speeds than at 55 mph. It also gets ~ 50 mpg during northern winter months and has just jumped to ~ 65 mpg with the warmer temperatures.
    I have a 10 mile drive to my dealership that I can choose a fairly level route or a route that as some significant hills. Going to the dealership the hills can be in my favor and I can get 75+, coming back on that same route, drops it to 50 or so; the more flat route I get 65 either way unless I decide I am in a hurry, so I drive 65 instead of 55 mph, in which case I get around 55 mpg.
    Get the idea?

5. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Well said.
    My ‘22, in arid climate CA, is showing 57.8 mpg since purchased. Now with 2800 miles on the odometer.
    I have it set in ECO mode & drive conservatively on freeway and around town.
    I’ve noticed that Car drives in (auto) EV mode much more often in my Gen4 vs my ‘09 Gen2.
    For comparison, driving similarly, my ‘09 rarely exceeded 46 mpg average between normal 15-20k odometer resets.
    So for me…the Gen4 performs much much better than the Gen2.

Doug McC likes this.
  6. TheWhiteWedge

TheWhiteWedge New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE

Totally agree!
    I live in southern CA where the weather recently has been mildly cool to tolerably warm, and commute approximately 12.5 miles (20 km) one way 5 days a week, mostly on city streets on the way there and freeway on the way back and average 3.8-4.3L/100 km (55-65 mpg) each way. Since I try to avoid traffic, or mostly move slowly on the freeway, there's not a lot of stop and go in my commute. There's also a descent on a big hill on the way there which is a big plus.
    On weekends however, when I drive shorter distances or go faster on freeways, I probably can't get better than 5-6L/100 km (40-50 mpg), simply because I drive faster or accelerate and brake more often.
    I definitely see a drop during colder winter months, not just due to battery temperature but also with more extreme A/C use (warmer or hotter).

The 2022 Prius has amazing fuel economy, I usually drive 200 km weekly and don't have to fuel up more than once every 2.5 weeks (unless I take a very long road trip). It's also worth noting I never leave ECO mode, and I drive by myself most days (I weight 200lbs, ~100 kg) so a light load on the car is also great!

To maximize fuel economy, definitely try to avoid traffic (if you can) or reduce stop-and-go traffic time, accelerate and brake calmly, cruise in electric mode as much as you can, use A/C more sparingly (or keep to a nice ambient temperature ~22 C).

Doug McC likes this.