1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$220 extra charge for the blizzard pearl color???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 48/50, Jun 16, 2009.

1. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I really wanted a plain snow-white color, but they dropped that choice, so I was 'forced' to go with the blizzard pearl.

2. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have the Winter Gray and really love the color. It actually has a very pleasing blue under tone. Coupled with the Misty Gray interior, it's a real knock-out.

I'm quite pleased that Toyota doesn't charge extra for metallic paint. Others, such as BMW, charge $550 extra for all of their metallic colors.

3. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Little doubt in my mind that it would cost more to repaint.

4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Blizzard Pearl" may look nice, but from a long-term ownership perspective, I'd prefer generic antiseptic white. Hopefully, Toyota will offer that option within the next year.

Here is a basic question. Many government entities (especially here in California) have bought Prius automobiles for their motor pools. Can a large organization (or government entity), order the 2010 Prius in basic white???

Keith

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone posted elsewhere that Blizzard Pearl would be more costly to repaint dings and the like. Besides the three coats of paint, the poster said that with pearlized paints they have to repaint an area much larger than the ding itself to get the repaint to look original.

That doesn't bother me. If it were ever to get to the point of being in a body shop anyway, then I would think that in all likelihood it'd be covered by my or someone else's insurance.

6. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You must live in state where there are insured drivers :D LOL or maybe I live in a state where a drivers license is optional AKA California.

7. lm2

lm2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A couple of weeks ago I stopped in at a dealer to sit in and inspect a "white" IV prius. I say white because I had expected to see some bit of metalic gloss in the paint. I couldn't see any difference from all of the "white" cars I come across. If you look at an off-white Cadillac with special paint, you can't miss the extra gloss or sheen of the metalic paint. The car I looked at had none of that appearance. I think every potential buyer of "blizzard" should see the car, prior to any waxing, to make their own judgment. It's a shame Toyota has such a limited number of colors. Just a couple of other things: the bottom of the drivers seat felt kind of strange, like it had a bit of ridge across the seat. The lumbar support was effective. If I may digress, the traction question in snow or sand must be answered before I could put my money down; and snow tires aren't the answer if you are on vacaton in June, in the north, and run into a snow storm. Sooooo, I'm still interested in possibly getting a Gen III, and I appreciate all the input from everyone here.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen the pearlized effect of Blizzard Pearl from 100 feet away (literally, no exageration).

9. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree, we test drove the "white" 2010 Prius and it was just plain white wash. We saw next to it the pearl Toyota SUV and actually commented to the dealer how we wish the Prius got the Toyota pearl color. He agreed, instead it just comes in plain colors.

So before you pay $220 for plain white, see one in person. I ended up choosing Barcelona Red.

10. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Plain white, huh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You should get your eyes checked if you can't tell the difference between this and "plain white."

1 person likes this.
  11. prius2x

prius2x New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I must agree... the Blizzard Pearl is amazing!
    You really must see it in the sunlight. It is dazzling.
    Thanks for these pics!

12. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Keith,

While my response is only a guess, I suppose that once they start making fleet vehicles (Prius I) available to fleets, they will likely have a basic white available to them. I cannot see them giving the paint away for free to fleet customers, and I doubt a fleet buyer would agree to a higher cost paint.

13. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very nice, but that is NOT what Toyota of Winter Park, FL has as their showroom car. They have a plain white 2010. PLAIN WHITE. Next to it you can see the beautiful pearl white SUV car.

Did Toyota mess up and ship some initial cars plain white? Because if I had seen that pearl color you show in the photos, I'd gladly pay 200, heck 500 for it.

Can someone clarify on this situation? Why some people are finding bone white 2010 models at dealers and others pearl white ones?

14. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What is likely happening is the same thing that I see in my garage at home. When the car is NOT in bright sunlight, it does look like a PLAIN WHITE CAR. (Not Bone white, which is yellowish).

However, you approach the car, and look slosely, indoors, it will look very pearl like. If you bring it into the SUN, you will need your sunglasses on cause it SHINES LIKE A PEARL in the sun!

In other words, even though I drive a Blizzard white Prius, I cannot always tell that it is Blizzard Pearl. If I have that happen, I imagine that it is likely your issue too.

Since Toyota did not build any PURE WHITE, this must be the explanation, or they chose to take that car, and get it custom painted in plain white for a customer who paid, and now backed out? Ask them for the spec sheet, or look at their website, as it should provide the color, and color code for Blizzard Pearl, as well as the premium price tag of $220.

15. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The thing is that it is parked next to an SUV with the most beautiful pearl paint... are there different levels of white pearl in the toyota lineup? There truly is no comparison in the paint of both cars.

16. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure you weren't looking at a 2009?

17. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree. Did you look at the window sticker? The door panel? Ask the dealer? I obviously was not there. I do not know what other pearls Toyota offers, just thet they only offer (from the factory) one white paint for the currently available 2010s. Outside of that, then I am lost on this one like you are??:confused:

18. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My wife recently wrecked our Blizzard White Highlander Hybrid. I'll have to see how well the paint repair turns out.

I have a Blizzard White Prius on order. I liked the color so much and the other colors have been around on the Prius that I wanted it for my 2010.

I do not like the "pearl" colors on the Audi and Cadillac as well. They do have an off white color that enhanses the metallic effect but they seem to change color over time and older ones don't look good at all IMHO.

The Blizzard on my HH looks just white in my garage. It is not until the sunlight hits it that the metalflake sparkles and gives the awesome look. It is more subdued since it is closer to white than other brands, but that is what I like about it. It is different than cars on the road that also have white "metal flake" paint jobs.

As a driver of several personal white cars and many white "company" cars I find the Blizzard effect to be quite wonderful.

I orginally thought I'd like the blue but it's too dark for me (although in the sunlight the reflection from the metalflake seems to lighten it) and I like the red but since the white is new I wanted something a little more different than what was offered in the past (although there appears there will be a big % of Blizzard white Prii on the road soon)

19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A family friend "dinged" his wife's new Lexus SUV that had the pearlized white paint. He told me (about 3 months ago, after it happened) that he had to pay more for the fix because of the pearl.

20. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have the Prius in Blizzard Pearl and a 2010 Honda Insight in Spectrum White Pearl. Sitting side by side, there is no comparison. You can actually see depth to the Blizzard with a subtle sparkling luminescence.

The Insight looks bleach white compared to the Prius

A friend has a new 2009 Honda Accord in Diamond White Pearl.

The Blizzard White Pearl looks bleach white sitting next to the Accord Diamond White.