1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

220k Miles on Pri v. Should I replace shocks, etc? Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by G Man v5, Apr 13, 2021.

1. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just hit 220K miles on my 2012 Prius v. Recently I've noticed a bit of "squeaking" coming from the rear when going over a bump. I am guessing it is the suspension. The ride is still fine, (at least to me). I'm not sure how much longer I will keep this car, perhaps another 30,000 miles or so. Is there any reason to replace the shocks/springs if the ride is still ok? Would replacing only the back be detrimental? From reading I've gathered the rear seem much easier to do.

Thank you.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If the ride and braking distance seem fine, it can wait.

If they improve with new shocks, your car will seem 'worth more'.

3. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ride breaking and tire wear are ok yes keep them. The ride may be a lot firmer with aftermarket.

SM-G960U ?

tankyuong likes this.
  4. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a parking lot I visit sometimes. This stop sign has a weird uneven pavement before it. It makes my suspension work and creek. I think mine creaked when I got it. It's been doing it a lot more lately. I worry about next years inspection. I've noticed my front brakes will sometimes clunk... I have no idea whats up with that. I wouldn't think it's the strut as there is no forward/backward body roll going on at those times.

I remember a time in the rain, for shiz and gigglez I slammed on the brakes at a stop light. The front wheels shook up and down so bad, shook the hood. This happened early on ownership. I haven't experienced it since. It's a 2010 with 185k on it now. I got it in 2017 with 163k on it.

... I have noticed when you go about 65+mph that it starts to get kinda swervy/floaty... Poor description. Carries on up to 110+mph without getting worse. But it could be because I have a 1.5" lift and oversized AT tires on it.

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The squeak is likely coming from the bushings. Examine them to see that they are not broken loose.

You can somewhat revive the bushings by spraying them wit ATP AT205, which you can get off of Amazon.

If the squeak goes away, you're fine.

G Man v5 and Grit like this.