1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

220v Charging More Efficient?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by bilofsky, Jan 17, 2013.

1. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't believe you'll come up with anything usable there. Or at least not significant. I've filled up my tank, reset the various screens, gone home and plugged in the car and it would read 0 kWh when I started out in the morning. It only starts incrementing the kWh value when you start drawing from the battery pack. It's also not clear if that value takes into account any additional range you get from regen.

If you really want to calculate what the charging losses are, you need to record what the draw from the wall is (done via a kill-a-watt meter, or clamp-on amp meter) and what the car reports as going into the battery (turn the car on while charging to see this on the MID). The ScanGauge 2 can be programmed to show how much amperage is flowing in/out of the battery. Multiply that value by 207 (nominal voltage of the battery pack) to get wattage and should equal what the MID shows.

I keep meaning to do this when I get home, but there's always something else I need/want to do when I finally get home. In order to measure the 240V losses, I need to get into my electrical panel, which means clearing off the bench in front of it. Which means more work I don't want to bother with doing at the time. Color me lazy.

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A few weeks ago I measured every charge in kwh (from the watt meter of from ChargePoint). And I drove only in EV for 132 miles (except a small 5 mile HV part of a trip which I accounted for). And I observed the kwh used in the EV ratio screen. I found the difference was about 9%.

Charging efficiency of PIP | PriusChat

Mike

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    speaking of screens, here's what was really bizarre: once, i was sitting in the car while it was charging with the radio on, in ACC mode. after that, i drove some miles in EV mode. the odd thing? the EV ratio screen showed 0 kWh consumed. how's that for a mystery? :confused:

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I started with a full charge when I plugged in kill-a-watt so I'll have to end with an empty battery.

This is going to be a long-term comparison. I just want to know the difference between the two. It won't be super accurate because I'll be putting gas miles so I may be doing EV Stack and EV-BOOST.

I think in the long-term, the data would be meaningful.