1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

220V Charging Station Recommendations - Residential

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Curt Naser, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Curt Naser

Curt Naser New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just bought a 2014 Prius Plug-in (my 2006 Prius now has 300,000 miles...replaced the original battery at 295,000). I am looking for recommendations on a 220 volt, 30 AMP charger to install in my garage. Any preferences for chargers? It looks like Siemens and Bosch have units that are in the $500-$600 range.

Thanks,
    Curt

2. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would say that, unless you charge multiple times a day, it isn't worth it. Because the PIP has a small battery, it doesn't take long to charge anyway. If you do decide to get one, I would recommend a UL listed (or equivalent) one. Get a 16 amp one, unless you want to future proof. Even the new Prime can only charge at 16 amps max.

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Take a look at the JuiceBox Pro. Its $599 for the Pro model with wifi and internet access and they're capable of charging at 50A.

Their earlier models had some issues, but I've heard nothing but good things about their newer Pro model. I personally know 5 people who own JuiceBoxes and they're all happy.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    unless you're planning for a plug in, 30a is unnecessary. that being said, unless you're looking for remote app phone info or such, i would buy the cheapest one i could get. they all work the same, and there have been no reports of on going problems with any.
    all the best!(y)

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ditto above. There isn't a lot of benefit to get a charger given the costs still has a long way to go down.

If you insist on shorter charge time I'd recommend an EVSE upgrade
    EVSE Upgrade - Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions
    Cost is minimal. Once the L2 chargers get cheaper, you can make the purchase and you'll have a portable unit to boot.