1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

230k mile beat down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Graz, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love my Prius. I have since the day I bought it. I drove it gingerly no faster than 65 for 16 years. Then I find myself traveling because of a family illness. 1200 miles in 9 days. Driving just as fast as I can. Actually took a pic of 105 mph on my speedo. Set the cruise for 85, and only slowdown for gas.

Yesterday... at 85, climbing a pretty steep grade, she pops out of cruise control. The red triangle ️of death appears MOMENTARILY. And a little oil can displays on the MFD. All faults go away quickly and I continue on my way. This behavior shows up randomly during my commute today. I think ill check my oil.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cars need oil, and yes I'm learning the hardship of Prius driving due to family illness. Way too much of that of late...

3. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    about 25 years agoI got in the habit of checking the oil level at every fuel up...

I'm still surprised when people say "the oil light turned on" , since I know what the level was less than 300 miles ago

folks don't check their oil at fuel stops ? it's about ten seconds that prevents a $4k+ repair bill ...

srellim234, Graz and jerrymildred like this.
  4. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm now, after 230k miles I have to start checking the oil. These cars are MAGICAL.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I kind of solved this problem by throwing $$$ at it. Bought a '21 Prius Prime Limited. Giving my son the '05.

Via Prius Chat for Android

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure he checks the oil at every fill until he is comfortable with the oil usage, show him how to fill the oil, and with what to fill it. Make sure you emphasize that it should not be overfilled. The amount between the marks is 1.6 US qts, so roughly 1/3 of that is 16 US fl ozs or 1/2 US qt. Rather than fill it to the top dimple, fill it to a 1/4" below.

Graz, ColoradoCrow and Aaron Vitolins like this.