1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

24 mpg consistently in town - why? Baffled.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by LRL66, Mar 25, 2022.

1. LRL66

LRL66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2014 Gen 4 Prius with only 48K miles. I can’t get the mpg to go above 24 for months. I’ve tried ECO mode, and Power mode, but it makes no difference. 45 mpg on the highway.

I rarely need to fill the tank, so I know that this reading just cannot be right? I’m selling the car soon, and need to be able to explain this somehow.

Just had everything checked at the dealership, and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Help…

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct. you need to measure average mpg's at the pump. nothing else is close to accurate.

short trips around town are mpg killers. warm the car up before giving a test drive, take the prospective buyer on a varied route under all conditions, and you'll see a nice average mpg number.
    that's how prius work.
    plus, in this market? you're gonna make a fortune.

3. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A 2014 is 3rd Generation but 24mpg seems pretty low. I wonder, are these very short drives on cold days? If you're only going a few miles in the cold the gas engine is probably running the whole time. Once the engine is warmed up you'll see better mileage, that's why you see 45mpg on the highway (which is pretty good for highway driving in winter tbh)

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Bisco and Malachy nailed it. If you are making short trips and running with the AC or defroster on the car never has a chance to get into hybrid mode. To maximize mileage shown in the history (on the dash???) , turn off the heater and drive more than just the 5 minutes to the corner store. Take the long way home and let the engine warm up all the way.

Back in the old days there was one other mileage killer. Occasionally the tech would over fill the engine during an oil change. Too much oil can cause the oil to rise too high and the crankshaft would churn it, causing a lot of lost horsepower.

5. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the only way I could get close to 30 mpg was pulling a trailer of dirt bikes at 80mph and running the HVAC all night while camping the weekend....

check your tire pressure and get a couple 30-40 mile trips on it. if you're burning a lot of oil your cats may be clogged also.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ?

7. LRL66

LRL66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. Your response make sense. I’m in San Diego, so it’s not cold driving. I’ll check the oil. What’s weird, is that this car lived with me in New Mexico at high altitude, and it was much higher mpg around town (45). I moved to SD in October, and is it possible that it’s having a tough time acclimating to sea level? That’s the only thing that has changed since the mpg drop.

could there be something wrong with the consumption computer?
    Thanks.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'd recommend you get the Hybrid Assistant app for a cell phone and a recommended ODB2 bluetooth adapter Hybrid Assistant: OBD

It should help figure out why by choosing the reporter option after you have driven the car with the app on your phone connected to the ODB2 adapter in the OBD2 port in the Prius.

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The sea level change should not be an issue. I go from Sea level to 6,000 feet and back monthly.

I was reminded this evening that sometimes a dragging brake caliper can cause poor mileage. It's worth putting on a rack and give them a spin.

10. LRL66

LRL66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A friend just mentioned the brake as a possible cause tonight. It could be gripping causing the mileage to plummet. He suggested driving on a flat road at 30 mph, then shifting to neutral to see how fast the car slows down. Is this what you’re speaking of, dbs2?

Thank you!

11. LRL66

LRL66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can I have Discount Tire do this, or should it be a mechanic?

12. LRL66

LRL66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could my tires be the cause? I replaced my tires in September, and the drop in mileage occurred not long after, though I immediately went on a 1400 mile trip, and so I can’t be sure?

Continental Control Contact 205/50/R17. Are these the correct tires for this car?
    2014 Gen 4 Prius.
    Thank you.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything related to the car would effect city and highway mpg

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is the results of short tips in an ICE vehicle.

9 yrs=3285 days divided into 48,000 miles=14.6 miles/day. Very few of these trips ever reached proper warm up temps nor for long enough distances to negate the warm up penalty. The best way to solve this is with a plug-in that can cover those distances.

Short trips are also hard on the HV pack. You also may have a tired traction battery that's not assisting as much now. Hwy driving doesn't stress the battery very much so mpg's aren't as affectd.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not officially, but the OD is very close to 195/65R15, the stock 15" size. The official 17" size is 215/45R17, which actually a bit smaller OD the 15" size.

You might try the rear wheel spin test, per "3rd Gen Rear Brake Drag Info" link in my signature.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you driving in D or B? B will increase fuel consumption by not letting the engine shut off at a stop.

Tires will affect fuel economy but not 20mpg’s worth unless they’re severely underinflated.

17. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yes, that's what I was talking about.

As for the tires... you should have low rolling resistance (LRR) tires on the car. They have a design that produce less friction when they flex, and therefor waste less energy.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing though: there's a LOT of tires making Low Rolling Resistance claims,, that in actuality have little benefit. There's also some tires that don't make LRR claims, but do pretty good.

We changed our 17's from well-worn Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, to Michelin Primacy MXM4, both being 2115/65R17. Both had the Michelin LRR logo "Green-X", signifying LRR. New tires can traditionally drop your mpg some, but in this case it was a nose-dive, about 20% drop, for the first few tanks. Very gradually came back.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  19. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    OK, I’m no expert on Prius history by a long shot but I thought the Gen4 started in 2016. However, if your’s is truly a gen4, you can address your concerns as far explaining it by pushing the Trip button on your steering wheel to display the ODM with the accumulated mpg, and then hold the Trip button down for a few seconds to reset the mpg. Or at least that is what I’m told.

bisco likes this.
  20. LRL66

LRL66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks so much to all of you who have replied to my thread.

Tideland Prius, what’s D or B driving?