1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

240 degrees!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Yippeekyaa, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got home from a 5100 mile, 12 day road trip towing a lees ure lite camper. The day before this trip the oil and the transmission fluid was changed. Second trans change on the geniii at 90k miles. Carefully monitored the various temperatures using obdfusion app with the appropriate obd dongle. Rarely did mg2 temps get above 200 degrees but twice it reached 240 which worries me. First time was in New Mexico during a long climb to apache summit. Slowing down or stopping was not an option due to heavy traffic and no place to pull over. After reaching the summit I found a gas station, pulled in and shut it down. It cooled off to 180 quickly. Less than 5 minutes for the temps to drop. Second time was a similar situation in Texas.

I have a few questions. Should I change the trans fluid again? Was this heat too much? Would an oil analysis on both the oil and transmission fluid be worth the expense? Appreciate any input.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much does the trailer weigh?

3. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No...with just fresh charge you are still under the boiling point....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

And i will suggest to go on SUV hybrid like....Lexus or Toyota
    Prius are not made for this type of trips you have

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    240 is extremely hot.

I don't think your inverter coolant is in great shape. I would check the inverter coolant pump operation by putting the car in ready and take the cap off the inverter reservoir and look inside that tank for good circulation. Should show lots of movement. This coolant and pump also services the transYour lucky seen so many posts of g2 on the side of the road after pulling loads up big hills and inverter crow barring from overheat.

m.wynn likes this.
  5. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    275 loaded.

Merged, use multi-quote.

I respectfully disagree.

Merged, again. Learn to use multi quote please.

Inverter coolant pump works flawlessly and never got hotter than 25 degrees above ambient. And it's a gen3 not a gen2. Here is a screenshot I took of the app I use and the main screen I set up to monitor temps. This was half way up the long climb to apache summit. Outside temps were 99 degrees.
    IMG_5415.PNG

#5 Yippeekyaa, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    These are MG temps he's worried about. Oil will be fine even above 300C. I wouldn't worry about it. THIS is the reason most temp gauges in cars are not accurate. If they were, they panic the consumer.
    As already posted, from the owners manual and info Toyota puts out, the Prius IS NOT designed to tow. Period. It WILL cause worrying things to happen if you do. I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying Toyota tells us we shouldn't. ;)
    You may believe whomever you like, but I tend to believe the engineers who designed the car. To tow, use a vehicle designed for it.

The Electric Me and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At first I was worried that I saw Flash points for ATF at 160 to 200 Degrees, but then I realized they were in Celsius, your 240 F is only 115 degrees C.

If I were asked what would be inappropriate for a Prius, hundreds of miles of unpaved road would be my only scenario.

Yippeekyaa likes this.
  8. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you respectfully disagree....then I wish you good luck.....Keep on hauling with your Prime

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Getting maintenance done by others, and heading off on a long road trip the next day, towing a trailer, all of these are not good for your odds. Anyway:

Who did the transaxle fluid change, and what fluid was used?

10. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow! What assumptions you make. I personally changed the oil and transmission fluid. Used mibile1 0w-20 and factory Toyota filter. Used Toyota ATF WS. Even replaced the crush washer on the oil drain plug as I do at every oil change.

kc410, Mendel Leisk and farmecologist like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, sorry. Did you have the car level during the transaxle fill, filled till it started coming back out? Just going through the possibles.

12. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope I am not the guy that buys your used car in the future. Be sure to let them know about the trailer.

13. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

What exactly are you implying here? Is towing a 275 trailer with a 35 pound tounge weight worse than the uber driver that hauled a trio of 200 pound passengers and their luggage 10 times a day? You anti towing nazis need to take a step back.

Is it too much to ask than when someone asks a simple question and you guys stay on topic and answer it without tossing in your anti towing opinions?

I'm a retired aircraft engineer that worked on aircraft interiors for 30 years. If you have flown in a commercial plane you have sat in or used products I've designed. The blanket statement about trusting the owners manual and "Toyota engineers" makes me laugh.

Thank you jimbopalmer for taking the time to read my question and offer a reasonable answer to my questions.

The rest of you armchair quarterbacks can go pound sand.

oil_burner likes this.
  14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not suspect engineers, I suspect lawyers. The Magnuson-Moss Act is on your side, Toyota has the burden of proof you damaged it with a trailer. You have no burden to prove you didn't.

Yippeekyaa likes this.
  15. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With all regards....You are extremely rude person....Towing and hauling are two different type of stress on power train.. .How some people react . .you should not get offended....From your post is evident that this is not car for trip you did

And I never say this car can't be used for towing trailer...
    Just not for so steep long hills

#15 Samprocat, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Will do. :ROFLMAO:

William Redoubt and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A very touchy subject. I am glad you know better than the Toyota engineers. "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." Godwins Law

18. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To the OP & anyone else interested in some facts - try reading this whole thread,
    Mg1 & mg2 temperature???
    then download the oakridge_2010prius.pdf
    Then read that pdf.

By the time you are finished you will have lots of solid information to throw around.

My take on the situation is that there was probably no harm done from the occasional 240F temps seen on MG2.

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a right tool for the job person.
    And IMO...The Prius by Toyota's own definition is NOT recommended to tow...ANYTHING.
    I default that for towing? It's simply not the best tool for the job. Well worth renting something that is a better tool for that job.

But when this is brought out?
    It inevitably turns into....

"But I towed a Replica of The Statue of Liberty up Pikes Peak using my Prius and it was fine...blah, blah..blah...."

So?

Those the tow with their Prius? Tow with their Prius.- It happens.

At least the OP in this case was carefully monitoring the conditions, and has concern. How many owners have done similar things, with no extra monitoring and are not even aware of increased temperatures?

As far as opinion? Well..I can't tell over the internet whether any potential damage was done. I tend to be a conservative, and protective owner of my vehicles, so if your Prius survived the 12 day road trip and evidently grueling Apache Summit assault? I might be anthropomorphic and "reward" my Prius with fluid changes. If changing the transmission fluid again, and the Oil relieves any worries of concerns? It's probably worth it on that basis alone.
    If any significant damage has been done? You'll probably only find out with the passage of time, and it's probably going to reveal whether you change the fluids or not.

PS.
    I do wish Toyota would be a little more revealing as to exactly from an engineering standpoint The Prius is given a No Towing recommendation. That might go a long way to stopping the behavior and ending the debate.
    My concern or opinon..thought..has been it might have as much to do with towing with The Prius computer controlled regenerative brakes and/or traction control...as it might have to do with the Hybrid electric motors and Hybrid Synergy Drive.
    But not much explanation from Toyota outside of the announcement that it's not recommended.

#19 The Electric Me, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Even towing with a truck can cause the transmission to get hot. If towing it's a good idea to get a transmission cooler. Towing on flat land vs steep inclines is also a huge difference. As far as engineers most are smart but not street smart. Use some common sense and I will return to my armchair.

edthefox5 likes this.