1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

240 V charging using the stock ESEV

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Sahil H, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Sahil H

Sahil H New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have a 2021 prius prime limited. I have a 240 v outlet available that looks like this. I tested it with a multi meter and its 240 V

upload_2021-9-7_14-10-6.png

1) Can I buy this and plug in my charger to charge at 240 V instead of the 110?

2) Will this void any kind of warranty?

3) Will I burn down my house?
    upload_2021-9-7_14-11-14.png

2. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    1. YES
    2. NO
    2. NO (Assuming the outlet is OK and hooked to a proper breaker)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Sahil H

Sahil H New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw that thread. I still dont follow why folks dont just buy something like the image I posted? It seems like so much work when you can buy an adapter like the one I posted for like 20 bucks? What am I missing?

5. Sahil H

Sahil H New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks so much. I ordered this!

6. TerryM

TerryM Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The only problem with using that adapter would be build quality. Are you willing to trust that it is properly built so that it won't melt when connected. A short adapter cable that you know is connected properly gives a little piece of mind. My father was an electrician for 50 plus years and taught me that the best way to be sure your not going to have problems is to Do It Yourself.

7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I would change #2 to possibly - When you try to get a warranty exchange; you'll have to explain the melted plug and burn scars. #3 is a definite NO, either your breaker panel will pop or the brick will shut itself down.

The outlet pictured is a NEMA 6-20, If done properly - should be fuse to a 20 amp breaker, in your fuse box - assuming it's connected by the appropriate sized solid copper wires.

The adapter you pictured is an international plug adapter. I've used them in overseas medical missions; we bring our own medical equipment - rather than rely on "local" equipment. The build quality of those adapters vary greatly, dependent on country origin and quality controls in place. Due to their design; the adapter WILL NOT take any torquing of the power cable. Don't plan on dangling the safety brick on the end of the adapter, it will short out and the internal connecting tabs will likely heat-up and deform, over time. I would probably check these connections with a IR temperature gun, 10 minutes into the start of charge and a hour later - to make sure your not going to burn down your garage.

IMHO, the safest way of doing this is to make an adapter cable and tape it to your OEM charger; so someone doesn't accidentally plug a 110 appliance into your 220 outlet. This ensures a tight uniform connection all the way around, that will resist tripping and heating up.The material cost to build this adapter cable is about the same as your plug cost, $20..

It's your property, so you can do whatever you like.

#7 BiomedO1, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.