1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

240 Volt charge what amperage to install?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Damos, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Damos

Damos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I want to install a 240V charging line. I am uncertain what amperage to choose. If I choose 50 amp would that damage the battery in my 2020 Prius Prime? If I get a Level 2 240V set up & install 50 amp line- can I set how much amperage I want to charge the car with? I am reading it only uses 14.8 amps to charge the car so perhaps I should install a 20 amp line?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends what your future plans are. If you're planning to upgrade to a full EV in the future, it'll be better to futureproof by using a higher amp circuit if your house can support it. Newer EVs are starting to come with 7kW and 11kW AC home onboard chargers (The Model 3 SR is 7kW and the LR is 10kW. The 2022 Bolt/Bolt EUV have up to 11kW and the German marques are doing 7-11kW, optional 19kW AC). 11kW is around 48A (10.5kW at 220V 3-phase)

The control of electrons is done on the car side so the car will limit the current and won't damage itself. Given that the Prime only accepts up to 16A, most public chargers would be more than enough for the Prime when you plug in (they're usually 6.6kW/32A split).

road2cycle and Salamander_King like this.
  3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The wiring, circuit breaker and outlet are all likely to be less expensive on a 20 amp circuit. I charge my prime off a 20 amp 220v circuit. The charger that is built into the car determines how many amps it draws from the house.

You won't need a higher amp rating unless you drive a lot every day. A 16 amp at 220V charger will replace the energy needed to drive 14 miles each hour that it ins charging. That's roughly true for the Tesla too. It's easy to get into the "bigger is better" when charging EVs but the reality is that you will do fine as long as the nightly charge replaces the energy that you use each day.

In my case, I seldom drive more than 25 miles in a day. because of that, all of the currently available BEVs and PHEVs, all of them would finish recharging overnight on my 20 amp circuit.

Dan

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose that also holds true if you only charge to 80% on a BEV (since the last 20% will take much longer), a lower amperage circuit is still sufficient.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Regardless of the current capacity of the line you plug into, the equipment will only draw what it NEEDS.
    That is assuming that the voltage is right for the device.
    You could install a 1000 Amp circuit and it still would be fine.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    All of these folks are giving you good advice, I have one further piece of advice, which might be good.

Lets dream that you want a 14-50 outlet, it is very common and about as much 240v power before you need to hardwire the EVSE in, rather than use a plug. if you have a 50 amp plug, it should be backed by 50 amp wiring, for safety.

But while you 'just' have a Prius Prime, the 20 Amp breaker is safest. any unusual draw will protect the car and the house.

Then, in the future, when you want more Amps, you only have to upgrade the breaker as the circuit is 50 Amp ready. (40 amp if you new car draws 32 Amps) A 50 Amp breaker will safely power a 40 Amp EVSE.

Sample 40 Amp EVSE, which will not be any faster than a 16 Amp EVSE on a Prius Prime. Lectron 40 Amp Electric Vehicle (EV) Level 2 Charger 240V NEMA 14-50

Sample 16 Amp EVSE with a 14-50 plug http://www.amazon.com/Megear-Charger-Portable-Electric-Charging/dp/B08BCGSQQS

#6 JimboPalmer, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    40-amp line (which supplies 32 amps sustained) will provide roughly 200 miles of EV range in 8 hours.

That rule-of-thumb gives you a general idea of where some type of mainstream expectation will settle. It's the "7.2 kW" rate often sighted. The next larger gauge wire (6 instead of 8) will support a 50-amp line, the maximum for NEMA 14-50 outlets. That would bump rate up to 10 kW. There wouldn't be any benefit if your future vehicle isn't designed for faster though. The rate itself can be even higher, but to support that the EVSE (charging unit) must be hardwired rather than using an outlet.

vvillovv likes this.