1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2400 miles to do asap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by John in AZ, Aug 21, 2013.

1. John in AZ

John in AZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just bought a 2007 Prius on ebay & am flying out to pick it up this weekend. I live in AZ & it is in DE I am gong to be pushing it hard on the way home. Is there any issues on running at 80mph or so on the freeway for hours on end? I am asking about the hybrid stuff, The regular mechanical stuff I am well versed in & have no worries on telling if all is going ok.

2. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you are traveling at 80 mph you might want to use the Waze mobile app so you can have advance warning of speed traps. I drove to FL and back 2 weeks ago - 1,500 mi. Drove close to 80. No problems. I had a Yakima cargo carrier on the roof. Wait one - I'll find a picture.
    [​IMG]
    2013-07-27 23.19.40.jpg
    Regards,
    Allen

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would be highly inclined to change the transaxle ATF before going a long way at high speed, in hot weather, on a well used car. It is a simple drain and fill, although I realize it might be difficult to arrange that. Check all fluids, and check for turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir (next to the inverter, take the cap off) while the car is in Ready.

alekska likes this.
  4. John in AZ

John in AZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I will be using old fashioned watching for speed traps. No smart phone here. Not that I intend to do 80 the whole way mostly concerned with the freeway running for hours on end.
    I know the inverter pump was changed by Toyota on the recall (I registered with the Toyota website to see all services on car). I will check though for shure also thanks for telling me where to look for it's reservoir is located.
    I would like to have the oil changed & the transaxle serviced before leaving but not shure if I will find anyplace to do it that will not screw it up.

5. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What was the mpg difference with the carrier?

6. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll bet it was brutal

7. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I find it's a loss of 4-6 mpg

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While you're driving 80 on the interstate, all of the "hybrid stuff" is mostly just along for the ride, presuming that the interstate is mostly flat and you're not one of those morons that are trying to put the car in N on long downgrades.
    Interstate duty is easy on cars and trucks....hybrids included. Your fuel economy will be a little lower than if you were taking a long leisurely drive at 45mhp, but that's not a hybrid thing, and you'll still be getting better fuel efficiency than most of the other cars on the road.
    Put the "giveacrap" switch in the "don't" position and enjoy the scenery!
    You'll almost certainly be fine unless there's an undiagnosed (or unreported) problem with the car.
    Just remember that the speed limit isn't 75 in those itty-bitty little blue states. :eek:

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The transaxle uses just shy of 4 bottles of Toyota ATF. It takes maybe 20 minutes to do the drain and fill. Any mechanic with a lift or ramps can do it easily. Plenty of pictures here on PC or on youtube. Same for engine oil, very straight forward.

You might want to make sure the A/C is working while you are at it. Using the A/C is beneficial as that is also helping to cool the big battery under the rear seat. As pointed out though, straight and level driving does not stress the battery much.

alekska likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on this used Prius?

11. John in AZ

John in AZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks all I was hoping there was noting to worry about but wanted to check as I know these care were designed mostly for city commuting.
    I was mostly referring to a jiffy lube type place & I know they are real bad at using what fluid is needed instead of one of their "universal ;D ) ones. I just don't trust anybody that is why I do almost all my own work.
    The car has 161,000 miles on it. 2 owner the first owner always maintained it at the dealer where purchased so I got great history until around 130,000 where these guys bought it. no records since but hope to get paper copys from them & input in to the Toyota website.
    Thanks I guess next check in will be reporting on the trip.
    John

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi John. I'd just make sure of a few basic things that you can check yourself pretty easily.

1. Engine oil. Just make sure it looks ok and is somewhere near the top mark on the dipstick. Take a quart with you in case you need to top off. Don't overfill though.

2. Coolant levels. Make sure you check the levels in both the engine coolant and the inverter coolant reservoirs.

3. Inverter coolant pump (a common failure that sometimes goes undiagnosed for quite a while). Take a flashlight and check the inverter reservoir for flow (turbulence or gurgling near the top of the reservoir when Prius is in ready mode).

4. Until you've had it a bit more thoroughly checked out (after you get home), I'd take it easy if you've got any mountain passes to traverse.

13. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

It was significant - BUT it was still way better than the Suburban I was driving. My usual rate is 45 mpg. For the trip with the rooftop box I got 35 mpg. I'm happy with it since I had the use of this great storage space. We drive from Ohio to Florida Emerald Coast. Our lab rides in the rear and we put much of our gear on top so Lola can have a comfortable space.

14. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Good info. Thanks.

15. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

16. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You're probably already on the road, but you should know that just because they replaced the inverter coolant pump doesn't mean they did a complete inverter coolant replacement.
    When they put in a new pump under Warranty, they usually just clamp the inverter coolant hoses with duckbill clamps, swap out the pump and add the small amount of coolant lost. If the Toyota Owners Website doesn't show an actual Coolant replacement Invoice for your car, Radiator and Transaxle, as well as Transaxle ATF WS replacement, you are at critical mileage to have those done. Hope you made it.

17. John in AZ

John in AZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    well she made it home great. I will be doing a bunch of services on her but the tri was uneventful other than the little plastic shield under the bumper coming down & dragging for a little while until I could get it secured back up. most of the hardware is missing under there so I will need to get that all straightened up when I am changing the oil.
    Thanks for the advice & I will still be around looking for fixes to do.
    John

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's good to know. :)

BTW. Do you know what MPG you averaged for the trip?

19. John in AZ

John in AZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    according to the car's screen a little over 41mpg

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just so you know, these cars were made like any other car, they just happen to do great in the city. Drive it like any other car and it will work just like any other car.

Now that you have it home, bump up those tire pressures.