1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

240K miles I take and Egr cooler

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tombukt2, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I’m looking at my intake these ports that should be clogging are at bottom of each port basically side ways ovals?.. if mine were round they’d be almost the size of a original BIC pen they look yuge.. I can blow through no resistance at all . The EGR cooler is almost silver inside. Light grey residue. Very light . The folks that owned this car were folks you’d Not desire to buy from . Maintenance did not exist to these folks ever. So I’m kinda confused at what could be going on here . Everything’s whistle clean in here cept my blown HG residues . Very weird.. pics won’t post

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what year is it?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’m sorry bud.. this is 2013 persona . 2z

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh, i thought itmight have the updated pistons and rings. still, idk if all gen 3's egr circuits clogged, just the ones reported here. maybe it depends on how they are driven

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not possible to be clean at 240k... this is what my EGR cooler looked like at 120k. 20210903_155916.jpeg 20210903_155933.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And this is what the spare EGR cooler I got off eBay looked like before I cleaned it. Unknown miles on it, but I would guess that it was from a high mileage Prius that blew a head gasket, or was a prolific oil burner, it was completely clogged with oily soot. 20210722_094032.jpeg

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'll get pics to post at some point they're too big I guess. I thot twas mainly plastic holes in intake that clogged or shrank ? Mine yuge sideways ovals. Ahh well just thot interesting .

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I looked into cooler again looks quite a bit better than the first 120K pic . I'm just trying to gather what's going on here because the people we bought the car from were not the maintenance type I.e didn't look like they were equipped to maintain the Toyota at the Toyota dealer children living in VA working in DC young. The original purchasers lived across the street from them and they bought it from the original purchasers at about 66,000 and took it right to 200 and then I got it and then it failed 25,000 mi or so later. So I'll clean it and save it no problem

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are confusing the main intake outlets with the much smaller egr outlets in each oval intake outlet opening, which is the large ovals you keep talking about.

In this close-up pic, the EGR outlet in this pic is the small D-shaped opening at the bottom of the sideways oval, as you call it. These small ports are the ones that typically clog with oily, sooty gunk.

20220323_082537.jpeg

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My bad I am talking about the smaller port in the picture you put in my bad that is an upside down or 180° turned d shape and mod those little ports on my car for my 2013 they're almost the size of a big pen squished a little bit for the d shape they're very clear there's nothing clogging them I can blow through them gently and feel no restriction which I guess you wouldn't I haven't pushed anything all the way through them yet but that's next just to see what the deal is blowing through them with my air gun at 12:00 PSI doesn't blow anything out and like I say I haven't pushing the q-tip on dirty end doesn't seem to make much happen I haven't got a long brush and tried to push it through I took pictures of my EGR cooler today and of the pictures that were posted earlier mine looks wide open those little channels that are fins that are sticking up are very concise and clear they don't look like they're stuffed up like in the picture above earlier in the post

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wish I was very confused and didn't know anything about what was going on unfortunately that's not totally the case but I'll have a long brush and a little bit and I'll run through those four ports just to see my number two failed and fast it didn't take but a few minutes to go from the light coming on the bad stuttering to the plug being saturated and not wanting to run a day or two we drive the car it doesn't drive us but still. I didn't know if the coolant leaking was getting enough water into the system to maybe blow the carbon off of the cooler because it looks very light gray and clean I can shine a light through it and see the light looking the one way that makes sense to see light and like I said I see none of the Fred in this thing at 208,000 mi nothing on this car look like it had ever been maintenance except for a 12 volt and a tire change or two

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get long nylon bristle brushes meant to be used to clean stainless steel drinking straws.

Sold at Harbor Freight and Amazon and anywhere that sells those non-dispoable drinking straws.

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Got the brushes. My cooler looks stupid clean. I ll tank it at shop but I doubt it gonna get much cleaner . The light grey brown will probably come off be silver. The little holes in the ports I'm assuming they run in the channel all the way back to where the silver tube bolts up to the plastic manifold and they all come together theyre. I'll see what pushes. As fast as the gasket blue and with the water pump for the engine working it never failed I have two of them and it's just kind of weird to me.

14. Profanas

Profanas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    III
    I have Prius plus+ 2013, ~600.000km with LPG system (popular in eu..) and my EGR is super clean to.