1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$279 to bleed the freakin brakes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by atikovi, Sep 11, 2010.

1. atikovi

atikovi Junior Member

After changing the brake fluid myself on my '03 Prius and then learning you need a scan tool to bleed the system, I took the car to a Toyota dealer almost an hour away that had a $99 brake flush special and who could do it Saturday. 10 minutes after they pull it in the service advisor tells me the flush won't help, that I need to have the brakes bleed, at a cost of $279! Wth? I said no thanks and drove back home. Is this what it really costs to bleed the entire ABS system?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you call around to the various Toyota dealers within driving distance. However, that seems like a reasonable price considering that you have no alternative to Toyota dealer service for this activity, in most cities.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might as well buy the scan tool?:)

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As to bleeding the Prius' brakes, here's a must read.

In short, both Patrick and Bisco are right:
    * Patrick -- it would be best to leave this to a qualified tech -- dealer :confused:
    * Bisco -- to DIY, you'd need a $Multi-K toyota specific tool/scanner

:(

5. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Get the Autoenginuity, it has the commands to do it yourself, it will cost $400. I have one, but have not bled my breaks yet. See:
    Screen Capture

6. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't had the brakes bled on my '06 w/ 100K miles, and I'm wondering how much benefit I would get if I just drained the old brake fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir (using a turkey baster or a siphon tube) and then refilled it with fresh fluid. I know all of the old fluid would still be in the pumps and lines and calipers etc, but would the new fluid be mixed into the old, or will the new just sit 'on top' in the master cylinder reservoir?
    Thanks!

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think this would mostly be a cosmetic change. The brake fluid in the reservoir will look like new, but the fluid in the brake actuator, the hydraulic lines and the wheel cylinders will remain the old, deteriorated fluid.

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm wondering how long Toyota says to leave the factory fluid in? There is nothing in my manual saying to flush/bleed the brake fluid? I used to do it on my GM cars cause it was easy to do, but even they didn't say i needed to change it.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hobbit talks about brake fluid at his website. I think his general conclusion is that brake fluid in a Prius leads a sedentary life and likely lasts much longer than regular ICE cars. He also mentions one company that sells a test strip.

Personally, I'm thinking of a flush when rotors or pads require replacement.

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I paid $125.00 to local dealer.

11. erk

erk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    125 to bleed brakes is a bargain. Got it. What used to cost me a can of brake fluid. Summary -- huge mistake buying a Prius in the first place. Seriously, they should tar and feather any Toyota engineer who still uses drum brakes. Drum brakes are a Rube Goldberg design that is now (on most well designed cars) replaced with simple disk brakes.

12. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over drum brakes on the rear wheels. ON the Prius, regenerative braking is applied first. Then friction brakes. The front disk brakes do most of the heavy duty stoping. By the time you have enough braking going on to use the friction brakes, the nose is starting to dive, and the rear lift, so even less rear braking is needed. The rear brakes don't do much, and using drum brakes simplifies the parking brake design. If this as a sports car, I would be more concerned, but it really has minimal effect. That is why you never see drum brakes on the front axle.

13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was it Elk Grove Toyota?

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sure, dump the whole idea as it complicates one formerly DIY job, which the dealer may have to do as often as every two years, or as rarely as never, depending on local humidity.

The cars I have driven that claim 4 wheel disc brakes, still have drum brakes on the rears as parking brakes, which is about all the rears on a Prius are for.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8dDsCu5iko&feature=related]Subaru Forester Brakes - YouTube[/ame]