1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

299,999+ Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No problem if they're halogen lights, but if they're HID lights, that condition can become very expensive and you should service them immediately.

With HID headlights, when you turn them on, a huge rush of current is sent. If the bulbs begin to fail, the inrush doesn't work and you do it several times. However, this can overheat and destroy the electronics which supply the high voltage current, which makes the repair far more expensive.

2. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    Hope my car last over 300K. I'm at 65K. My old BMW only lasted 150K on transmission. Honda Accord 240K. Camry around 230K. How much did it cost you for the CAT replacement? Did you go with factory cat or after market. Just wondering

3. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you haven't already, you may want to try 10W-30 oil at your next change. I bet you'll see a significant reduction in oil consumption.

4. tallman

tallman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV

5. tallman

tallman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    my 07 is at 363321 no problem with odometer

6. Frank M

Frank M Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I will bet he will also see a significant drop in MPG

7. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is still some confusion over which odometers stop at 300K and which ones keep going. The odometers in the 04-05 model cars will all stop at 299,999. If you have an 06 or newer it will keep going. For the older cars we have an upgrade that fixes the problem. This thread explains it.

Combination Meters that stop at 299,999 miles and what you can do about it.

Matt

8. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my combination meter in my 2005 replaced by Toyota two years ago, well a couple months ago it didn't roll over, and it is stuck at 299,999 I was really hoping the new combination meters wouldn't have that problem... sorta disappointing honestly.

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Significant? Unlikely.

m.wynn likes this.
  10. PaperPrius

PaperPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

1) No, and it still might be okay. Has a code P0A80, but the battery cooling fan was so clogged with dust that there may have been no air circulating at all.
    2) Only that lost when changing CV shafts, right before the tranny went.
    3) Once, because I got tired of hearing that I'd need new pads soon whenever I took it for oil changes.
    4) Unknown. Often got 60+ mpg on tankfulls until it started having problems, consistently got 52+ mpg, was in low to mid 40s when it died, even with an O2 sensor fouled by burning oil.
    5) 5000-7500 miles. Whatever conventional oil was on tap where I got the oil changed.
    6) I could post a pic, but it would read 299,999. Guesstimate mileage at ~360k.
    7) Bought it at ~5,000 miles in July of '05, but it was a demo before that.
    8) 355k?
    9) I had such good luck with it, I replaced it with a 2007 with ~124k miles in July of last year. Of course, that one has a bad HV battery only 21k miles later. Looking for information about swapping batteries is what brought me to PriusChat.

11. EZinTX

EZinTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    321,000+ miles here on my black 2008 Prius.

Answers to OP's questions:

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? NO. Still on the original big battery! I did have to replace the little Optima one once though.

2) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid? The transaxle and the inverter both fried not 6 months after I bought the car in 2010. Haven't had any problems with the transaxle or inverter since it was fixed.

3) Did you replace the brake pads? No. At over 200,000 I had a brake shop check them out and they said they were only about half worn (I brake very lightly because REGEN!). At 320,000+ they are just now starting squeak every once in a great while.

4) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? Not sure. The touch screen readout regularly averages 42-ish mpg nowadays. That's WITH the a/c or heater on (not really much difference between the two). When I first got the car, I could average above 50 mpg (but that was when I was attempting to hypermile with no a/c in the winter hehe ;)

5) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use? The oil has been changed every 1 to 1.5 months since I have had the car because I put LOTS of miles on the car each month. I used full synthetic Pennzoil 5w30 for the first 4 or 5 years (I've had the car just over 6 years) and now just put regular ol' Quaker State 5w30 conventional because I know I will be replacing the car soon.

6) How about post a picture of 300,000 miles on ODO? DONE

7) Are you the original owner? No. Bought the car at Oasis Park and Sell in Spring TX in late 2010 (the car is an '08). I'm probably the 2nd owner.

8) How many miles under your ownership? Over 240,000!!

9) Feel free to add anything else you wish to share. Bought it with 81,000 miles in 2010. I'm a full-time pizza delivery driver and have put 3,000+ miles EVERY MONTH on the car for the last 6 years. It is definitely starting to show :D I'm actually in the market for another one right now, because this one is starting to have little cumulative problems (combination meter is intermittently going out, oil pan drain plug got stripped during an oil change (took me a while to realize it, so have no idea when/where it happened) and leaks about 1/2 quart every 3 days, engine warm-up is rough sounding, getting a catalytic converter code on the dash, brake pads starting to squeak... stuff like that).

It has overall been a great car for my purposes. Before all these repairs creep up on me and cost me too much, I'm gonna get another one.

Peace!

Attached Files:

12. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Our 2007 Prius has 444k miles. I haven't posted here in a while, but figured it was worth an update. I'm a lawyer, not a NYC cab driver :)

13. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an '05 with over 300K. HV battery has been replaced, and so has the instrument cluster and front wheel hub. Still going strong though!

Data Daedalus, m.wynn and DLHDMRH like this.
  14. jan54

jan54 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi Waylon! Thank you for sharing,and non nonsense response. I hope by now you are past 500,000 mark with no issues.
    I bet some people are bent out of shape when they see no atf change

markabele likes this.
  15. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Joined the 299999+ Club today with my 2005 Prius. I thought 2005 cars did not have issue with odometer getting stuck. But my car has odometer stuck.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack?
    -- No still using original battery.
    2) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid?
    -- Yes 4 times so far with last one being at 275000. Shop mentioned that transmission would not be guaranteed with oil change. But I got it done regardless as I believe that would be an issue with regular automatic transmissions. It should not be an issue with Prius
    transmission as much since it is so different in design.
    3) Did you replace the brake pads?
    -- At 260000 all pads, rotors, shoes and drums were replaced. Brakes were still fine then though minimal lining remaining. No grinding noise or any such problems. But then a wheel stud broke and when getting that replaced the brake drums had a groove. So got it all done. Otherwise I was going to wait since the car had so many miles.
    4) Your lifetime MPG (if available)?
    -- Used to be summer 50 and winter 45. Now it is slightly lower and the traction battery has lost some capacity. It swings between 2 bars and full lot more. Mileage is now down to summer 48 and winter 42.
    5) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use?
    -- 5000 Miles regular oil. Not really any brand as such. The car now also uses more oil. It need close to a quart every 1000 Mi.
    6) How about post a picture of 300,000 miles on ODO?
    -- Sorry. I did not get one. But I really can't now that odometer is stuck at 299,999. I can get one any time.
    7) Are you the original owner?
    -- No I bought it used at 73.5 K Miles in May 2009.
    8) How many miles under your ownership?
    -- 226.5 K miles.
    9) Feel free to add anything else you wish to share
    -- In 2012 I had an accident with car striking a large rock on Interstate which I had no way of seeing untill car in front of me sverved into other lane. This cracked the transmission housing, and bent a suspension cross member for front wheel mount. Both replaced with salvage part for a cost of 2600$ installed. I have check engine light with P1121 code for a while. I have not yet fixed it. But I would get it done soon. I am also hearing a small whirring noise when engine is off and car is in ready mode or driving on battery. With Engine on I can still hear it sometime. This noise does not appear all the time but comes often enough. I am planning to get Inverter coolant pump changed as I am suspecting based on symptoms as the noise may have something to do with it. So this week I will get P1121 also resolved along with that.

I have reset trip odometer and plan to add it to main odometer. I think that should allow me another 99999 miles and then I can always use Trip B odometer :).

I may also try with salvage battery if I get triangle of death as battery appears to have lost capacity. Any recommendations in NY-NJ-CT area?

The car has really served me well with very little to no maintenance needed.

Neohippy likes this.
  16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could contact Texas Hybrid Batteries (member of PC), they offer a retrofit of the the 2006-2009 CM for a good price if you want to have your ODO continue past 299,999. See the penultimate link in my sig for the details.

m.wynn likes this.
  17. Kenrico

Kenrico Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Matt !

If I get out to DFW area will definitely visit the Texas Hybrid operation ...sounds well worth the trip.

Kenny

18. mikey72

mikey72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New York, apparently, has strict laws preventing after market CAT replacement. I had to replace the CAT and the 12 V battery whole thing cost about $1900. Kinda sucks (thanks for your help, NY), but the car owes me nothing, with so few repairs over, currently, 377,000 miles

19. disneydad

disneydad Junior Member

disneydad
    2005 prius.

mileage to date 301,255

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? NO
    2) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid? NO
    3) Did you replace the brake pads? YES AT 191K
    4) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 46.8
    5) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use? 5K, MOBIL1,
    6) How about post a picture of 300,000 miles on ODO? YES
    7) Are you the original owner? YES
    8) How many miles under your ownership? ALL
    9) Feel free to add anything else you wish to share

REPAIRS
    BOTH FRONT BEARINGS
    12V BATT
    HEADLIGHT LEVELING SENSER
    MUFFLER
    SURP BELT
    COOLING THERMOS VALVE
    INVERTER COOLING PUMP
    HID BULBS
    WATER PUMP

Attached Files:

m.wynn, Merkey, apt5020 and 1 other person like this.
  20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe my favorite screen name on the forum

gta_ and biglew8 like this.