1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

299,999+ Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $800 is a lot to pay to have an odometer starting at 0 miles. An alternative would be to buy a salvage unit, but you would then start with whatever odometer reading was logged by the donor vehicle.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The 1 kk taxi mentioned is still in service. You have a moving target ;)

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL
    off topic...
    There is a apparently correct, but a good deceiveing thesis written in the medieval age, that says...(very similar to the Babel Tower)..

You have a target and an arrow. 10meters, probable speed 50m/s
    Bow stretched, and there it goes!

The time the arrow traveled to get to the mid point is: distance/speed, 0.1sec.
    Then another half of the half, more 0.05sec.
    Trying again another half, more 0.025sec.
    Many, many times this procedure, and the arrow will never reach the target...

Ha...

nssdiver likes this.
  4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you missed some of the conversation sagebrush. OP was saying that he didn't want to chase a moving target and so set his goal to go further on the original battery than the mentioned taxi. That is 700000 km or 425000 miles on the original battery is now his goal.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Right you are uart. Will OP donate his record winning battery to the Smithsonian ?

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Find Peef on this forum. He can fix the ODO.

JeffD

7. 2 fas 4 u

2 fas 4 u Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Update 320000

2 people like this.
  8. 2 fas 4 u

2 fas 4 u Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In regards to above, I changed my oil, however I switched filters, since I buy oil at walmart 5 gallon 5w -30 high mileage, I am now using TG 4386 FRAM previously TG 4967 FRAM it is about an inch longer also and has that black sure grip which I dont need a filter wrench. I am at 1100 miles so far no oil loss, will see if I can come close to 4200, anyway I will keep u guys updated.

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you tried the Super Tech filter that Walmart sells? Not that it is possible to grok everything posted at Bob Is The Oil Guy, but reviews there are more positive than negative, while people seem disappointed with Fram nowadays. Since you buy oil at Walmart already...

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ good idea

11. 2 fas 4 u

2 fas 4 u Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    IN NEED OF ADVICE: Situation when parked and on battery goes low engine cuts on, that I know. However, here it is on the highway accident traffic moving slow not enought to put in park battery goes low is there a point when battery will turn ice on and stay on until charged, cause when engine turns on and I move a little engine shuts off, then I begin to get nervous cause I heard that It can cause the hybrid battery to discharge. Also happened in Miami on south beach alot of traffic battery goes low to 2 purple bars when ice turns on it turns back off cause i am still moving. Dont know if i am explaining good enough or is there another color after purple. IN regards to the Super Tech Filter I will look into it, however I have been using Fram for alot of miles, also with Purolator and they have both been good, but I definitely like the black sure grip hands down on Fram.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ the ICE will recharge the traction battery as needed, automagically. No worries.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't think you have any worries. There are folks who have actually "camped" overnight in the car with the a/c going. They say the ICE will run long enough to get the battery to a sufficient SOC and shut off till the a/c runs the battery down again; rinse, lather, repeat on through the night. Fuel burn rate is actually cheaper than a motel room!!!!

Robert Holt likes this.
  14. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the 300K odometer bug is only on the 2004 & 2005 CM boards. I can reprogram these to 0 or any other value if desired. You will have to file an odometer disclosure statement if you ever sell or trade in the car though.

See my CM repair post for more information.

I haven't yet been able to confirm this, but I think you could upgrade a 2004-2005 to the 2006+ CM, but you'd have to have the whole assembly, as the LED boards are different as well.

15. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I have done this. If you have a PHEV and can locate a plug, then the engine doesn't need to run at all! =)

I made a plywood panel that drops in over the folded-down seats and bridges the gap over the rear footwells. Through a futon mattress in, and it's quite comfy! There is 6'2" of room if you put the front seats all the way forward.

Robert Holt likes this.
  16. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only time the car won't charge the battery itself is if you put it in neutral. if you're in slow traffic it will just cycle on and off as required.

17. 2 fas 4 u

2 fas 4 u Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE: 324000 Im set back for about a week, I hit a tractor trailer tire or ran it over, either or did not know they can cause so much damage took out my front bumper and pushed the radiator back a little along with the support bar that holds the radiator anyway, im still in the hunt for 350000 in the U.S. I will deal with
    Canada later.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ I love your attitude. Good luck getting a quick repair, but what will you drive in the meantime ?

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was going to tell you to be very careful but I did not because I did not want to jinx it. I think odds are higher for accident than a natural failure. Be careful, you almost break the US highest (documented) Prius mileage!

20. 2 fas 4 u

2 fas 4 u Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Car is driveable my loving wife is using it locally, and im using her minivan, rentals in this area have doubled due to the 500 at daytona, and also bike week, and also spring break. I will probably put it in monday, body shop said about 5 days. And also my kids are out of school this week so I have options. Just hate that the gas is double for example 600 miles in prius about 40 bucks, 600 in van at 25 mpg 75 dollars x 6 /2 = 210 dollars extra in gas, that hurts. Any way i'll take a pic of front and hopefully my journey will continue next week, I just want to hold the highest driven miles on a prius in the U.S. on original battery, with all the priuses sold that is huge, even if it is for a little while. ALSO if I change the grill and had fog lights, mine is non fog lights, are the wires below to add it, and could I had hids to them, usbseawolf help me out sir.