1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

299,999+ Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like the Project Lithium for Gen2 are on sale now $2,170.00
    https://projectlithium.com/products/prius-lithium-replacement-pack

Paul Schenck likes this.
  2. abksports

abksports Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    620,000?!? Wow, Paul, you are hardcore!!

Definitely an inspiration to us all to keep on truckin’!

Paul Schenck and telmo744 like this.
  3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    We have joined the club! It's official now (photo of odometer attached), but unofficially we probably joined a couple of months ago, because we have probably put several hundred miles on the car when the Combo Meter was offline. The reading is not final, we will be putting on a few more miles before we donate the car (probably to PBS), but I decided to grab a photo of the odometer while the Combo Meter is active. The car in the picture Official Odometer Reading on 2007 Prius on June 4, 2022.jpg ahead of our 2007 is a 2022 Corolla Hybrid, which is the replacement for our faithful companion. We can only hope it will provide near the level of reliability of our Gen 2 Prius.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack?

The pack has never been touched (to the best of my knowledge) and has never thrown a Red Triangle. The State of Charge indicated on the MFD is still fairly stable, but these days the number of bars when pulling out of the driveway after sitting awhile will generally drop to 1 or 2 until the ICE is properly warmed up, at which point it will remain and 4 or 5.

2) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid?

The transaxle fluid was changed at approximately 212k miles, shortly after we bought the car. There is no documentation of it ever having been changed before that.

3) Did you replace the brake pads?

We did not replace the brake pads, but they were replaced by the previous owner somewhere around 200k miles, according to his records.

4) Your lifetime MPG (if available)?

MPG was 45.5 per Fuelly, when most of the miles were coming from long trips. The last couple of years, the car has been driven exclusively around NYC, and has probably averaged around 40 MPG.

5) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use?

We have always used synthetic oil since we bought the car, and have changed it every 5k miles. The brand is dependent on whatever our local shop was using.

6) How about post a picture of 300,000 miles on ODO?

I missed the official turning over to 300k, as my wife was driving the car while I was out of town, but I am attaching a picture with the most recent odometer reading.

7) Are you the original owner?

I believe we are the 3rd owner. The car had 211k miles on the odometer when we bought it.

8) How many miles under your ownership?

With the flaky Combo Meter, I'm guessing we have put 90k miles on the car. The official tally is 89k miles.

9) Feel free to add anything else you wish to share

This is the best car we have owned in our 40+ years of car ownership.

m.wynn, Dnc95 and abksports like this.
  4. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Our taxi Prius is about to clock up the 750,000km

1) The taxi owner replaced it with one from a parts recycler before we bought it, said it cost $250

2) The taxi owner did, I'm a tad slack so it probably needs doing again.

3) I haven't and no idea if the taxi owner did, it all looks original, including the disc faces so they don't look like they have been machined which is normally a part of brake pad replacement over here.

4) No idea, lost each time the battery dies ... unless there is somewhere else it can be read beside the centre display

5) 20,000 km, 10w30w semi or full synthetic, generally Gulf Western or Penrite.

6) I'll get a photo when it does the 750,000 roll over

7) Second owner, it was a Brisbane taxi and we bought it sight unseen for AU$1900 i think

8) I think somewhere around 150,000km, probably more because the combi meter dies a lot and doesn't register on the odometer

9) Can't believe how reliable this car is, the wife gives it hell, it is the parts collector from Adelaide as well as our drive car, so sometimes it has to cart around 500kg of batteries up the steep Adelaide hills, other times she loves to whistle past slower cars at well past the speed limit, just to see the jaw drop look from the people in the other cars :lol:

T1 Terry

telmo744 likes this.
  5. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Finally, kept the dash display working long enough to actually clock up the 750,000 kms
    Taxi Prius 750,000 km.jpg

Wasn't game to go any faster while trying to take a photo with the phone on the freeway :lol:

T1 Terry

6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll have to see about getting a photo of the wife towing the trailer loaded with solar panels up the Adelaide Hills back to Mannum. She has done a few trips with the trailer to pick up 10 x 330w panels and the associated pallets the first time and 6 x 330w panels and pallets plus driving across Adelaide to the opposite side to pick up an inverter and a number of solar regulators, so neither trip were light loads or short trips and that is one very long steep hill for a poor little Prius with 752,000 kms on the clock (y)

T1 Terry

douglasjre and Tombukt2 like this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is more like our Gen2 service car. Good on you buddy . We use a plastic and aluminum 5x8 foot trailer 268# Empty. Made by FLOE USA. Great runner buddy!

8. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll have to roll our box trailer onto a few sets of bathroom scales to see what it weighs empty .... but I reckon the new checker plate steel floor I welded into it weighed close to half the total weight of your trailer, if that is 268 lbs and not kg ..... but the 500kg over head crane in the workshop did lift it empty .... so it's less than 1/2 tonne it seems :whistle:

T1 Terry

9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    1) Did you replace the HV battery pack?
    Yes
    2) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid?
    Every 50k
    3) Did you replace the brake pads?
    Yes
    4) Your lifetime MPG (if available)?
    Sold it at 275K 2 years ago in the current owner text me recently to thank me for selling him the car. He currently has over 300K on it
    5) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use?
    Every 5K with mobile 1 0W40 most of the time. A few times I use shell rotella t 5W40
    6) How about post a picture of 300,000 miles on ODO?
    7) Are you the original owner?
    Fourth owner has it now
    8) How many miles under your ownership?
    Had it from 120K to 275K
    9) Feel free to add anything else you wish to share
    eplace the head gasket, shocks struts sway bar links and bushings battery pack front and rear brakes n radio and pressure relief valve for air compressor. It was an oil burner from 120K to 170K and it stopped the horrendous burning oil after I used rotella T5W40 a couple times. I always ran it at wide open throttle the entire time I used it without exception. I usually pulled the trailer. Never clean the EGR circuit ever

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please tell us more :coffee:

Or is this a gen3 thing? o_O

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh I imagine it's heavier than this little stupid thing I bought but that's the reason I bought it. I bought this flow 270 lb trailer or whatever to tow behind a Gen 3 which has all the engine problems and all the nonsense that go on with it and the Gen 3 that pulled this trailer had all that nonsense go on with it and a new engine put in it or another engine put in it. I don't think this Gen 3 will ever make the $600,000 mi. But my Gen 2 that I personally drive will definitely make 666. The Gen 3. Might might make that mileage with three engines The Gen 2 with its original.

12. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does the Gen 3 have anything better going for it over the Gen 2?

T1 Terry

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Seems to me slightly bigger maybe heftier 1.8 versus 1.6 to me not so much The wife drives the 13 of the Gen 3 I drive the Gen 2 The Gen 3 the interior is a lot weaker it's not as heavy duty even the cloth on the seats and stuff it's just gotten a lot cheaper or you can beat the hell out of a gen 2 seat. You best not with the Gen 3 the piping will come apart and stuff like that so got to be more careful seat covers are a definite thing to be having and all that if you want to keep it looking reasonable

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mine was out for 2 years till I found a mint condition little old lady driven car with like 90,000 on it just a few months ago the display works perfectly until it doesn't

15. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Trying convince the wife who drives the taxi Prius that she should watch the video and pull the dash out. I'm happy to fix it and let her put it back in :lol:
    Needless to say, it has had this problem for the last 3 yrs or more and I doubt she has looked at the video ......

T1 Terry

16. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Newer design not as old of a car. More horsepower more towing capacity. Better handling. Better styling inside.

17. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It would be difficult to get a car that size to handle better than my '06 Prius, but then it has lots of handling upgrades .... although it was a bit like driving a rear engined car with the extended range battery hanging behind the back axle, hopefully the new LTO battery will give better weight distribution.
    As far how the '08 handles, my wife pushes it to the limit both up and down the Chain of Ponds road between Mannum and Adelaide, I'm not sure better handling would be a good thing for her to have :lol: for a car with that many kms on the clock, it still holds the road quite well.

The better transaxle might be a good selling point, I wouldn't want the ICE anyway ..... the tailights are ugly so that's a mark on the other page ....

T1 Terry

18. bernie3015

bernie3015 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2007 Prius now has 306 k miles.
    Replaced: Engine (piston rod broke old engine at 288k) replaced with an engine that only had 100k on it (junk yard), hv battery(junk yard, good if you can find a good deal, I no longer can so sell new battery modules), 12 volt battery (http://www.elearnaid.com), brakes (amazon - no problem), inverter coolant pump twice (first time was cheap Chinese pump last only 13 or 14 months), and new cabin heater fan (amazon - Taiwan worked just fine.). used Catalytic Converter (could have possibly saved it and the engine if I had clean out the engine. I now use SeaFoam.) i I bought the car with 202k miles on it for cheap and have put less than $3,400 in 6 years and 104k miles. Thus maintenance has been less than 3.3 cents per mile but this does not include oil changes, wipers, tires and the labor on the major repairs. (I did the major repairs myself.)

New versus Used cost comparison:
    Also, because I bought the care for cheap with cash I have no collision or comprehensive insurance which saved me about $1,000 a year or $6,000. Not to mention my depreciation expense is actually negative due to the value of used cars particularly high MPG cars going up. So this is a car on the cheap. And if I had junked the car at around 270k miles I would have only had to buy one pump, one junk yard hybrid battery and the cabin heater fan. But I am planing on keeping the car for at least another 100k miles.

Bernie
    Owner http://www.elearnaid.com
    we sell 12 volt batteries, hybrid battery air filters, and new hybrid batteries.

#1278 bernie3015, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    telmo744, hill, m.wynn and 1 other person like this.
  19. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I traded Thanksgiving messages with mcbrunnhilde. Her 2005 Prius is still going well at 328,000 miles.

Hanging on with 286k likes this.
  20. rep308

rep308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Head Gasket flaw?

fyrmd, telmo744 and douglasjre like this.