1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2G Prius Plug-in Reveal - March 23 @ 9:10 am EDT - Live Stream here

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PRPrius, Mar 15, 2016.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Didn't see that pic until now. Thanks, Sergio. Now all we need to get black is that steering wheel plate. I am hoping that Toyota has been digesting the consumer comments in various countries on their pro/con feelings of the white from the initial roll-outs of the 2016's.

mrlebop and Sergiospl like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that 7" display looks great!

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As it was stated, 88% are driven by car and therefore we can statistically say almost the entirety of the influence of commute ranges is determined by this mode alone.

For fun, one could assume that - however, statistically this or any other scenario permissible within the data presented does not change the prior statements made. It is overwhelmed by the effect of the 88%. So the statements about 50% and 80% barely move in any of these scenarios.

That’s why the last post noted that it doesn’t matter. The influence of the remaining 12% of modes has an insignificant statistical influence on the conclusion stated.

Pardon me for saying so, but this is a strange statement - no one stated this or suggested it until now. Please check back with the prior posts. Specifically, I said:

“at least half of U.S. commuters will be able to go all electric round trip (no charge at work) in the Prius Prime and 80% if can charge at work”

That’s the beauty of it, we don’t really need any extra parameters other than the data presented.

You are correct if you are suggesting that the caveat is that all PHEV users have to have roughly similar miles in ICE mode (once they have picked a theoretical PHEV that allows them to do all commuting in EV mode). I can’t find a formal source for that, but anecdotal observations including those here on PriusChat and other sites suggest it is roughly similar. Please share if you have sources that show otherwise.

For more details, here’s how the 50%+ adds up:
    1) 50%+ of PHEV commuters can stay all electric for commute in the Prius Prime EV range (USDOT and Toyota figures)
    2) Once outside of EV range, the Prius Prime has the best PHEV mpg (Toyota and EPA rating pending)
    3) By extension, those in PHEVs who go on other longer trips beyond their commuting EV range would use the least amount of gasoline in the Prius Prime (see unlikely/not observed caveat above)

Examples:
    a) You are one of the 50%+ of commuters who drive 22 miles or less round trip daily for work. You charge once only before your commutes/trips. Then you go on the average number of medium and long range trips a year that Americans do. The Prius Prime would then use less gasoline on an annual basis than any other PHEV who also goes on the average number of medium and long range trips a year that Americans do.

b) You happen to have a 30, 40 or 50 or possibly more mile round trip commute, can’t charge at work, have a PHEV that does 50 miles EV, and you basically uses the PHEV as a BEV (don’t take it on longer range trips as most do). In this scenario, the Prius Prime almost certainly uses more gasoline than other PHEVs.

Surely, there are many different driving scenarios, but the conclusions still hold up.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With the prius prime with solar panels you'll never run out of ev in the sun...

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    3 years of driving a PIP in Houston, living 3.5 miles from work, 22,900 total miles, 28% of which were in EV mode, average MPG 72 according to the computer, despite the engine coming on every time I breathe too hard. So no not a total joke, but could have been so much better with a bigger battery (or a more consolidated city). And of course we use our HyCam most of the the time because my wife hates the ride in the Prius. I'd use the PIP a lot more if it had a big enough battery to get out to the suburbs or down to Galveston, and it had better handling and ride comfort. PP looks like a major fail to me, based on the bad interior design and the inadequate battery, but what do I know? Good luck with that Toyota!

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Start by asking how the decision to purchase your G1 was made.

8. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    True; you'd just run out of water waiting the days it would take to recharge.

Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see any talk of wireless charging...was that discussed?
    Ugh I need a family car this seems like a luxury commuter.
    I don't see a big market unless CA HOV comes back

10. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think that solar panel will do much .
    The solar panel on gen. 3 was/is only able to run the fan for a few minutes now and then if weather conditions and angle to the sun were/are ideal,so what groundbreaking technology jump considering solar panels have I missed to now believing it could charge the main battery to a useful level ?

merged

#390 civicdriver06, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
    KrPtNk, Sergiospl and bisco like this.
  11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mostly I just wanted the 8-way power seat,,,:p
    But I also wanted to spew less toxins into Houston's already dirty air, and wasn't ready to go full BEV, which is why I want more EV range and don't care about the supposed gas efficiency and was willing to continue the great Prius experiment for a few more years. However,the older I get the more I want a car with comforts and conveniences and the less I'm willing to put up with bad design. My 2004 Prius was a tin can, but it had a lot of great tech you couldn't get at the time in lower priced small cars, and a very practical hatchback design, with no stupid flying buttresses in the front or stupid consoles or humps in the back. What's supposed to make me want to buy a PP today, with the other better options out there now or coming soon? Is it just the fact that it finally drives somewhat like a real car? I may as well buy a volt or a bolt, or wait a couple of more years for Tesla. I might have even bought one of the fords, if it weren't for the similar bad design choices they made.

Ashlem and mrlebop like this.
  12. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just need a few miles to the next gas station lol. Could prop the car slowly. The Japanese version gets solar panels. Not sure what the rating is

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone figured 10+ miles in 8 hours of sun, that's not too shabby.

merge

danny's insider notes say it won't come until there's an international standard.

merge

ooooh, i like the rear turn signals!

great video, thanks! now we know where the battery is, and why we lost all the hatch space.:unsure:

but i don't see a hump in the middle, so, not sure why we lost the bench seat. i hope there's room for the to put it back when they realize the mistake.

#393 bisco, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
    Trollbait and hill like this.
  14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I don't think it was a mistake or else it'd be in there for production. When something like this is done, there is always a reason. It may not be said, but if the engineers could engineer a car such as this meeting all laws that have to be met, removing the center seat cushion simply wouldn't be done for the heck of it.

As with many technologies in vehicles, the US simply has very very strict laws and as the limits of cars such as this are pushed, sacrifices have to happen. Of course we don't always like them but it is the way things are sometimes and no one can change them no matter how many people on the internet gripe. And I am not saying you bisco, I'm generalizing.

Sergiospl likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought maybe they decided a four seater would sell better. oh well, griping may not change anything, but it is what it is. there are many more positives than negatives, and as i said elsewhere, it's probably gonna come down to price.

16. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I personally don't share that thought.

Tracksyde, Trollbait, Ashlem and 3 others like this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is the consideration of comfort. Remember how vehicles used to have bench seats in front. That's ancient history now. This move could simply be an effort to bring that comfort to the back too.

KrPtNk likes this.
  18. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    One can come up with any number of maybes...

Tracksyde likes this.
  19. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On Hybrid Life, as probably already mentioned here, Hortvin has put a nice article in French which integrates many details he found on the website of Toyota Japan. Although in Japanese, many of the pictures speak for themselves. Sorry if this link had already been placed!

Just click the buttons on top of the page, starting with "exterior"

On-line tranlators japanese > english do not do a bad job, and will help you understanding some details even better.

Jan ;)

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep. any number of maybes, or excuses... i've got one, maybe they think volt sales are due to four seats.;)