1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd Door Lock?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Blind Guy, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is interesting, I've not heard this discussed anywhere before, on the 3 Door SKS equipped cars, you touch the area on the leading edge of the Door Handle to lock the car, and the Doors lock. However, if at ANY time (either shortly thereafter or any extended amount of time later) the locking portion of the Door Handle is touched a second time, it LOCKS again! That in itself isn't unusual, accept the doors are already locked, and it doesn't seem to do anything different. Also, touching the locking area a 3rd time (or multiple times thereafter) does NOTHING!

I checked to be certain that second lock/press didn't unlock the doors, it DID NOT!

I'm curious what that second lock accomplishes, and why pressing it that third time stops any further locking sounds?

Next time you're at your car, lock the car by touching the locks on the Handles, touch them again (you'll hear the doors lock a second time), touch them a third time and they'll do NOTHING. What happens on that second lock, and future presses do nothing?

David (aka Blind Guy)

1 person likes this.
  2. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That second lock sounds scares me because I wonder if I have unlocked the door and walk around to check or use the FOB to lock again. Also the beep system confuses me. When unlocking for the door handle, I get two beeps. When locking from the hatch I get two beeps, but locking from the door I get one.

1 person likes this.
  3. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My guess and it's only a guess is that it is for if you don't remember if you locked it. First time, click, locked it. Second time, did I lock this? Better do it again, just in case. Click. Yeah, it's locked. By the third time, the car's like "we can't do this all day" and it's not going to keep doing it.

1 person likes this.
  4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The first time you lock it, you might forget.

The second time you lock it, it confirms that its locked.

The third time you lock it, the car decides that you are OCD and refuses to enable your little ritual. :madgrin:

5. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Nav voice should just say "Yes, it's locked already. Go about your day."

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since nobody has chimed in with a concrete answer, it has to be that the second lock turns off the headlights via the remote/key fob but for some reason is inactive via the SKS.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I can confirm the second SKS lock does nothing. I pressed it twice and my headlights stayed on (auto headlights). Pressing a 3rd does nothing (no beeps or lock). Pressing the LOCK on the fob will turn off the headlight.