1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd gen Prius a safe reliable buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by blargity, Jan 21, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. and if it doesn't?

2. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Then I'll fix it. Been playing this game for many years now.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly

4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure what your point is.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p wants a safe reliable buy. it is not objective

6. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My definition of reliable came from driving several used Pruis's (Prii?). The one I bought had the best driving characteristics, and still I needed $2600 more to bring it to a condition I feel confident with.

Bisco, I appreciate all your advice while I was asking the newbie questions. It was invaluable. I will use that on my next, used Prius purchase.

bisco likes this.
  7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, in that case there is absolutely no car made today, new or used that can be called reliable by your definition. You can buy a brand new car and have it not start and run tomorrow. It happens. Price paid does not correlate with reliability, which your statement seems to suggest. Nothing is objectively 100% reliable, but a gen 2 Prius in good condition can be a very reliable and inexpensive vehicle.

OP may not be the right candidate for one as he is not a "car" guy, but that does not mean he can't find a cheap Prius that will run for years without a problem. These things run all over NYC, San Fran and other major cities as cabs with great results.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did not define it, outside of my blanket price statement. but you're right, that in itself is subjective.
    even new cars break down, we have seen it many times here.

VFerdman likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know if I should step into this hornet's nest debate.
    But I'm not sure I actually agree in totality with this statement.

The old saying...you get what you pay for...has some truth to it.
    Sure ULTIMATELY nothing can be totally guaranteed...new, used, economical or expensive.

But generally, the more you pay with an automobile, the more risk factors you can minimize.
    Brand New from the factory, with a new car warranty is probably the least amount of risk but also the most expensive ownership option.
    Then I do believe the less you pay....the older the vehicle is likely to be, that does correlate to both risk and potential reliability.

I mean who would argue that a 2019 Prius, is likely to have less problems over the next 10 years, than a 2009 Prius? And a 2009 Prius today does come with a significantly different price paid reality,- if you are buying it today.

I mean simply, there is a reason older used vehicles are cheaper than there corresponding newer counterparts, and a big part of that reason is projected maintenance needs and reliability.

The only exception might be older "Classic" automobiles which are sold for entirely different reasons.

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He has a second estimate for struts and labor, it’s in the first hard to read attachment that one is to replace the struts and it’s a lot. Like around 540 just to rebuild the rear ones.

11. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another member made a recent comment that I am going to steal. He said that Toyota used to have something to prove with hybrid cars, and this could be why an 09 (Gen 2) has high reliability. Can the same be said with the latest 2019 offerings?

blargity likes this.
  12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reliability also depends on who and how the car was built. Put a 2007 Prius next to a 2007 mini. You will more than likely have a much, much less reliable car if you pick the mini. Most of the stuff the OP is complaining about is minor and might not even be needed. Spark Plugs? They would not have even been looked at in a pre purchase check. The guy didn’t even check the oil level. Plus look at the parts pricing and labor charges. You can have most of that work done cheaper at the dealer.

VFerdman and The Electric Me like this.
  13. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Minor engine maintenance is fairly easy on a Gen 2. You do need the tools, tho (looking at you, torque wrench). I did the spark plug change out in about 45 minutes, mostly because I reviewed youtube videos as I did it. Air filter /Throttle body was 10 minutes, MAS sensor was 10 minutes (9 minutes air-drying time) cabin filter was 30 seconds. 12V batt replacement took about 30 minutes because I'm old and weak. replaced tail light bulb in 10 minutes(cheaters kept falling off). I left the oil change and invertor fluid to the professionals for convenience sake.

14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t think the guy has any idea about cars whatsoever. Who goes to look at a car and doesn’t even check the oil? Could be he has no mechanical skills, could be he doesn’t care to learn. Whatever the reason he’s at the mercy of a mechanic. He better learn to check the oil though. Prius are known to burn oil, and I’m pretty sure it was mentioned to him.

Edit: I looked back and I can’t find anyone who mentioned the oil use problem. Seems like we all got so wrapped up with his questions we missed it.

#74 Skibob, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GeorgeW, torque wrench? Wait until you start working on BMW’s and need to torque then set an angular turning degree.

#75 Skibob, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  16. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    didn't want to break those iridium plugs

Skibob likes this.
  17. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would take breaking a plug over stripping out a plug hole. ;)

18. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    as a diabetic whos slowly losing sensation in his fingers, i need a torque tool.

19. blargity

blargity New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Umm yeah, that's blatant misrepresentation. You don't get a pass on lying about something because you didn't sell a warranty with it.

Let's stick to the topic of next steps. Not interested in the commentary, thanks.

Nope. My thought was that, since the dealership gave me a written promise that no major maintenance was needed which was clearly false, I'd tell them they can either share the bill 50/50 with me or I can return the car. I expected some minor fixits, not 2/3 of the purchase price.

I appreciate the info on pricing... I expect a bit of markup but yeah, this sounds extreme. Will definitely get a second opinion, maybe from a dealer as well.

It is in writing. I posted a screencap above. And you'd just eat $2700 of maintenance you were promised in writing wouldn't be necessary? Really?

I'm 36 and in good shape, I just don't like working on cars, don't have the knowledge (although I can certainly follow a Youtube video) or the tools. I work on servers mostly so never need anything bigger than a #2 Philips. :)

If there's real money in it and no expensive tools needed yeah, I'll give it a shot. Seems a better use of my time to just return the car or push them to share the cost with me rather than doing a bunch of maintenance myself.

How much would you say is a reasonable total for the brake job? Just trying to gauge how far they're pushing it.

It's only out of the ordinary because he assured me in writing that the maintenance was up to date already.

No idea how the diagnosis was done; I'll ask and verify with another mechanic. I asked for full synthetic to get the longer time between changes; is that a bad idea? The fuel induction thing is concerning to me... been very happy with this mechanic's work on the wife's Kia but pretty much everyone here is calling BS on him here. Bummer. Maybe there's an injector issue? The car was apparently leaking oil in several areas and the oil tank was mostly empty; wouldn't surprise me if other stuff was faulty too.

And yeah, what you're missing on price is that there are two invoices for a bit over $1300/ea. do not know why they put it on two different estimate forms, go figure.

Again with the threadcrapping. Can you not keep it productive?

---

Alright guys, it should be obvious to everyone that I'm not a car person. I've only bought a few cars despite my age... they're always cheap and until now they've always been pretty reliable. This is the first time I've actually gotten burned. I'm fully aware that I'm a low info buyer and taking more risks than average; that's why I'm posting a bunch of questions here rather than just buying something. If I wasn't wanting to learn, I would've just dropped 20k on a new car and forgot about it. Now let's go back to talking about the car instead of the driver, kthx.

#79 blargity, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  20. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was not dissing you for using a torque wrench. I use one for the same job. I was just showing you another way bolts are torqued. It’s the guys that don’t use the proper tools that wind up stripping out threads.