1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd Gen Small Taxi Fleet- Code Scanner Recommendation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 59green, Nov 19, 2014.

1. 59green

59green New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Greetings:

I am glad that I came across this board, The 2nd Gen Prius has served us well an has exceeded my expectations.

We would greatly appreciate feedback as to what make / code model scanner can be purchased to help us diagnose our Fleet. Our local Toyota service shop is busy and we often wait a week to have the codes read. Thus we have decided to invest in a solution.

I understand these fine cars have a self diagnostic mode, I am unsure of the parameters of these.

Thanks in Advance.

john

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A good place to start is with a Mini VCI and Techstream software. This is basically dealer level equipment at a bargain price of $25.
    It requires a lap top pc to work preferably an old 32 bit Windows XP version as this is the easiest to set up.
    It will give all fault codes and sub codes for the Prius or any Toyota Lexus Or Scion. It will also give engine codes on most other cars.
    It will let you bleed the brakes, set steering angle zero point, and the brake solenoid setup. Program key fobs and so much more. Part of the HV battery printout below to give you an idea.

nb.JPG

John (Britprius)

#2 Britprius, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius does have a very limited diagnostic capability, but nothing really that is of any use in the workshop. If the Mini VCI is used once it will have more than paid for it's self.You will never go to the dealer for diagnostics again as it gives the codes and a guide to what is wrong. They are available on Ebay and Amazon and come with the program software.

John (Britpriu)

4. 59green

59green New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    John,

I appreciate you sharing your insight into these machines. I will check this scanner out. We are creating an efficient mode of transportation, the taxi insurance rates are high run up with downtime. In this case. the dealer prices themselves out due to wait time.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i believe there is a cabby in canada who does the same, very successfully. all the best!(y)

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is not so much a hand held scanner as a dongle that allows a laptop with the Techstream program installed to be able to access all of the ECU's in any Toyota Lexus Scion through the OBD port. A truly dealer level of diagnostics it will even record tests, and play back recordings or give printouts later if required. You could use a desktop PC, but this is not really practical in a workshop as being able to carry a laptop out to a car.
    There is a walk through on bleeding brakes being able to control all the brake solenoid valves from the laptop. Steering zero point calibration required after tracking, and brake linear solenoid calibration. It will obviously read, and clear all codes including sub codes.
    I should point out that I am in no way connected with the manufacture or sale of this device.
    There is plenty of help by some very knowledgeable, and helpful people here "more knowledge than most dealers" so if you get stuck with a problem ask. If you have information that will help here that to is welcome.

John (Britprius)

#6 Britprius, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  7. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 for the above recommendation.
    But could I also suggest mounting a Scangauge II right above the steering wheel, connecting it to the OBDII port, and programming Xcodes to give helpful real time info when driving the Prrii? (Equivalent would be Torque app on phone and a Bluetooth ODBII sender, but the Scanguage is simpler.) I monitor engine coolant temp, HV battery temp, battery fan motor speed, and engine load, but other Xcodes may be valuable for your situation.
    Could you possibly let us know the repair history of your Prii over miles and time? That helps the rest of us anticipate any problems in advance.
    Cheers!

Britprius likes this.
  8. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What are these Mongoose/Mangoose VCIs? Are they any better then Mini VCI? Atleast they seem to support wider range of OSs. Latest software version seems to be 9.10.038.

I'm also interested to hear how the Prii has worked for 59green :)

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Mini VCI is a Chinese copy of the Mongoose and comes with the Techstream program on the drivers disk. I do not know if the Mongoose cable comes with the software. I do not think it does I believe you have to take out a subscription with Toyota, but I could be wrong.
    The Mini VCI works fine. Some have reported a virus found on the disc, but I believe it is the update program that to some anti virus programs shows as a virus. I run AVG and this reports no problems. This does not matter as the computer never needs to be connected to the internet anyway.
    If you get the Mini VCI when you first open Techstream go to setup/VIM select/ then choose VCI. You will only need to do this the first time.
    The software version hardly matters as I think the updates are for later models of Toyota Lexus and Scion so there is no advantage to Prius gen1/2/3 owners. The latest versions can be found on the net anyway.

John (Britprius)

John (Britprius)

Robert Holt and MattNiem like this.
  10. 59green

59green New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Guys: This information has been extremely helpful.