1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd generation 3rd generation or prius v (lowercase v) buying Advice

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Californian21, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Californian21

Californian21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For my new car (will be purchased in about a year) I have decided on a Prius for mean reasons such as cost, reliability, and space. I have my choices down to a 2nd gen (04-09) Prius, a 3rd (10-16) gen Prius, and a Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) 12-16). This is going to sound silly but I'm looking for what car handles the best. I have heard that the 2nd gen and vandle very well (low center of gravity, low amounts of body roll, and precise steering) with the 2nd gen being the best. The 3rd gen looks the best and is the most comfortable but handles like a boat from what I have been told. For reasons I won't go into I can not test drive these vehicles so what do you guy think is the best driver? 2nd, 3rd, or v

Oh by the way I have lived with a 2015 Toyota Corolla LE (mothers car) for a while so if anyone would like to compare one of the Prii to the Corolla that is fine

Another update: The gen 4 is too new for me to be able to buy even though one of those would be ideal

#1 Californian21, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you can do a small amount of suspension work to greatly improve the handling of any of them.yres can make a huge difference.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 2 U-turns better than the v, but the v rides better and handles better to the extent I have tested. No Prius currently sold handles well. Gen 4 may change that.

Gen 2 seemed very flightly in cross winds.

4. Californian21

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would prefer not to do any modifications :)

5. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A boat??? The tire brand/type makes a difference in how it handles. But it does not handle like a boat overall. If you're looking for a good get-away car for a heist, then any Prius is not the best. :)

6. Californian21

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Could you explain in a little more detail on how the V's handling is better but the 2nd gen turns better? And the wind factor isn't a huge issue to me

Lol I guess a boat is a reference to the body roll

7. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You mentioned your purchase will be in a year or so - I would consider the 4th gen Prius if handling (stability in cornering, feels quick, etc) is your main driver. That seems to be the main thing they have improved along with a slight bump in fuel economy and interior quality. If cost is an issue you might be able to get a two for a reasonable price in a year. It won't have all the features of, say, a 3rd gen four or five but you will probably think it handles better.

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    U turns happen at low speed, and the length of the car is an important factor. The Gen 2 is better for U-turns. However unless the air is still in NC, you will bounce around your lane on the freeway as you pass or are passed by semis. I bought a mid body brace to minimize this.

Prius Generation 2 2004 9"Box Beam"Mid Chassis Stiffening Brace Plate Rude person's | eBay

9. Californian21

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would looooovvvveee a 4th gen but because they are so new I wouldn't be able to get one for under 12-13k ish

Kramah313 likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Oops, I need to quit encouraging you.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, I have owned a Gen II Prius (2009 Package 2). I currently drive a Gen III Prius (2013 Model Three) and have also driven a 2014 Prius v (lower case wagon). I liked the ride of the v the best out of the three vehicles. However, I found that the Gen III Prius is more comfortable and smoother riding than the Gen II Prius. I can't say anything about the upcoming Gen IV other than the fact that the suspension has been reworked and the MPG is supposed to be better than what is out at this time.

As far as any of them handling like a boat, my opinion is this. A lot of that depends on the tires that are on the Prius. If you want a mushy ride, run the tires at the placard settings. Yeah, it gets pretty sloppy especially on the Gen II with the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires. However, if you pump up the tires to max pressure and put some decent rubber on it, then all of a sudden the Gen II rides and handles very well. That is with no other mods other than a good set of high quality LRR tires being mounted on it.

My best advice would be to find a Prius that YOU like and test drive it. Don't drive it five minutes and then decide. Rather drive one at least for a day or two that way you can get a good feel for it. And above all, don't do a test drive with a salesman in the car. That is just a distraction to you.

Turning radius is excellent on both the Gen II and the Gen III Prius. The v (wagon) will have a little larger radius IIRC, but it still turns around in a very tight arc.

Other than that, I don't know what to say. The only reason I am not driving the old Gen II is a dealer offered me a deal on the Gen III I now am driving that I could not pass up on. I owe 14 more payments, and then it is paid for. I don't plan on buying another car anytime soon unless someone totals out the one I am driving now.

One other thing I will mention. Check out the hybrid Toyota Avalon. It is more luxurious than the Prius, has MPG that is comparable to the v wagon but rides like a limousine. Very smooth and handles excellently. It is a higher priced vehicle, but is a very nice hybrid to say the least. IMO, it would be comparable to a Lexus.

Best of luck to you and welcome to Prius Chat!

Prius_Angie likes this.
  12. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got it, was an issue for me as well. You could probably get a 3rd gen and have someone bolt on a sway bar for you for pretty cheap. The acceleration is pretty good on my 2012, feels a little quicker than my Corolla did. Corolla did have less body roll in turns but it handles well enough for me. I wouldn't call it a boat.

Could do a higher mileage 2nd gen, then upgrade to a gen 4 in a few years when there are some used ones in that range maybe.

Dino33ca likes this.
  13. Californian21

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If anyone has seen this account before you would know that I was looking into Prii to buy I've decided that if I go with a Prius I will be getting a Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) My new question is, Prius v or C Max? I think overall (mainly the fun driving characteristics) the C Max is better but being a college student I'm worried about reliability. What do you guys think base C max or Prius?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 completely different cars.

15. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As the owner of a Gen-II, a Gen-III and a Prius v (the lower half anyway) I think it is close to a toss-up. All are taxi-like in their ride, and their durability. The v has a slightly longer wheelbase which increases the minimum turning radius. (basic geometry lesson.)

I wouldn't touch a C-max with a 10 foot pole.

Bill the Engineer

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Zero problems in almost 100,000 miles over 6+ years with my liftback. Do you expect the Ford to be that reliable? Do you expect the Ford to get better fuel economy? Is the Ford's warranty better?

There's a reason for Fix Or Repair Daily or Found On Road Dead.

17. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You have posted of the possibility of 3 so different cars I wonder what you want the vehicle to do. In the order of MPG more to less:

C - easiest parking, cheapest
    Hatch - proven reliable, middle size
    v - utility, room, compromise on mpg for those

If I were you I'd focus on what you want the vehicle to be capable of. Until you define what you really have to have, what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice to achieve those needs/wants, you are just gonna make a mistake..

Prius_Angie likes this.