1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd generation MFD repair - Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Eric 2018, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Eric 2018

Eric 2018 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi - looking for Canada-based solution to 2nd generation (2004) MFD failure. The screen is black and unresponsive to touch. I have looked at AutoBeYours repair option in Indiana, but they won't ship the unit back to Canada after it's been repaired.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not canada, but might be worth checking texas hybrid batteries

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you talked to dealership, got a quote? Doesn’t hurt to ask?

mor’n likely they won’t quote without an initial assessment, for maybe $100…

4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The quote I got from my dealer for the same issue was $1400 to replace the screen with a used one. It’s very expensive.

I know there is another group that does the same thing AutobeYours does, but I’m not sure if they ship to Canada. Alternately, there are some working units for sale on ebay, although of course that’s a bit hit and miss depending on seller honesty.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  6. Eric 2018

Eric 2018 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks, Mendel. Sadly, the Toyota dealers in our area have been of no use on this front. Two different dealers have suggested that I take the issue to a garage that specializes in electronics. One tried to send me to a car stereo installer. Sigh.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The Gen 2 screen were prone to issues. They remove pretty easily and there are great how-to videos on youtube. Pick a screen up at a junkyard & the modular connections snap on and off relatively quick.

8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anything that can't be shipped USA to Canada, I normally ship to a drop in North Dakota and drive down. Where are you in Canada?

9. hotelprisoner

hotelprisoner Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I’ve used this company for all such shipping needs to receive items from the U.S. from sellers that won’t ship to Canada.

Home - CrossBorder Pickups

You get a virtual address in Niagara Falls, NY when you sign up. They have the option to forward items onwards once they arrive in Canada if you’re not residing near one of their pickup locations in the GTA.

It helps to get the item’s origin or location of manufacture prior to purchase as customs needs that info.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  11. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what is the part number of the MFD you need? I have 2 here I will gladly send you.

TampaToma likes this.
  12. TampaToma

TampaToma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm in Tampa and need one as well. I just started researching this, so I'm not sure about the part # yet. I can tell you it's a 2009 Touring model. My car's in the shop for a few days, but when I get it back I will try to figure out exactly which one I need. Any chance you could also help me install it? Happy to pay $

13. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    im in Orlando, I have a bunch of parts but the 09 touring is getting uber rare and stupid expensive for 15 year old parts.. even harder to find the chipsets.. is the screen working at all? the last one I got was from the UK In working condition and scored it for 250 bucks plus shipping..

the worst part about doing the MFDs now, especially in Florida is the vents basically disentigrate when we remove them, and the only one that is available new is the one left of the mfd.. unfortunately you have to remove 3 of them and the last 2 I did the drivers door one survived and that was it.. if you want to drive up we can totally try to knock it out but its not a fast fix unless we score one for dirt cheap and just swap it out..

also did you have your dash fixed via recall or do the cap fix yourself? if not then that would be a great time to do that as well since were already gonna be ripping it all apart..

14. TampaToma

TampaToma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I discovered there are businesses that you can ship your MFD to and they will repair it and ship it back to you. I'm considering going this route. My MFD still works, but I can't see it during the day and at night I can barely see it. I haven't had my dash fixed, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I bought the car used a few years ago, so I'm not sure if that's been done or not. IS there a way I can tell?

I'm also considering upgrading to a lithium battery, and am looking for help with that project as well, just replacing the original battery with the one from Project Lithium.

15. Hanging on with 286k

Hanging on with 286k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you near Buffalo, NY. Pinpoint is a great Prius ship and he could do it for you ..