1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd Tank... Much Better Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wynder, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Wynder

Wynder New Member

So, I had to fill up today -- my second tank, but the first time I've personally filled it (first fill up was free from the dealer). As I've mentioned before, I got the car with a few (literally, a few) miles on it at 13.4MPG, so I had to work it up... after 348 miles on the odometer, my average was 37.6MPG.

Now, I'm 51 miles into my second tank of gas and I'm doing MUCH better mileagewise:

[Broken External Image]:http://27chickens.com/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album04/50mpg.jpg

Hopefully I can keep it right around here!

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good stuff, mate. You're sittin' 'bout right where I am. Just put in my 9th tank of gas and I'm sitting right at 50.0 MPG avg over that time (about 2.5 months). Have you adjusted your tyre pressure at all? You might get a little boost from that. When I got my car from the dealer they had the tyres set at 38 psi all around. I adjusted it to 40/38. Need to keep on top of that. I recently checked the tyres and they had lost some air for sure.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice to know things are starting to work out!

4. QED

QED New Member

Interesting, I'm having an almost identical experience. I picked up my car with 5 miles on the odometer, showing about 12 MPG. After about 150 miles I have brought the average up to about 38 MPG. I was thinking of resetting the average, but now I think I will just see how the mileage plays out for the rest of the tank. I'm hoping it at least breaks 40MPG on the first tank (my winter temps are a bit milder than yours :lol: ). One thing for sure, hills around here are killers on mileage. I guess I will just have to work harder at it. :p

Your experience is encouraging.
    I wonder if this is a common pattern.

5. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I did when I filled up -- they were bloody low.. around 33-35 all around... I put them up at 38/36, but I might do 40/38 next week.

6. Wynder

Wynder New Member

My city driving kills my average... several hills, lots of stop lights. My best mileage is, absolutely without exception, highway or interstate driving.

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wynder, please keep us up to date on your impressions of the TomTom Nav :)

Very encouraging on the mpg so far, city driving not withstanding.

8. Wynder

Wynder New Member

TomTom... I love it -- it's great. Sprint Phones' bluetooth isn't (yet) compatible for making calls through it, but then that's what I have the Prius for.

POI's on the TomTom are horrible for the US and, though the UK has a sweeping comunity movement that's maintaining their own POI's for uploading, there's no such luck in the US. Though, in all honesty, it's accurate enough to get you where you need to go via POI. Directions work well -- of course where there's been new/recent construction (within the past few years), some addresses can be a bit off, but I've yet to be misdirected to my destination.

In short, I play with a concert band every now and then and we often have gigs in the middle of nowhere... I was able to easily navigate to these places then out to my favorite pub through backroads I'd never known existed. I still feel like I saved $1300... by not getting the #7, and I'm still getting where I need to go. :)