1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd thoughts about the Prius now...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintd555, Jan 31, 2006.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A few comments:
    • Yep, non folding rear seat in the HCH - no sale, EVER. This is just plain stupid.
    • Prius front seats fold FLAT back, rear seats fold FLAT forward - 8 foot items fit with room to spare. I got a small Secretary desk and chair (some assembly required, i.e. put the legs on) new in the cardboard boxes from Ashley Furniture. Got them in with the hatch closed. Would have unboxed the desk if needed rather than pay for delivery. Just added $35 in savings. :)
    • Prius SKS, amazingly easy to get dependant on and I can't imagine I'd buy another vehicle without it
    • Prius VSC
    • Prius HSD smooooooooth
    • Prius 'by wire' transmission. While the 'return to home' joystrick initially seemed odd, it is a BIG ergonomic functionality feature. What is that big ugly stick taking up space on the HCH's console and why do you have to know what gear you are in to get to the one you want? ;)
    • Prius push button startup/shut down. Could have used that when I had my right wrist in cast 2 years ago. Had to reach under the wheel with my left hand and even then was barely able to turn the key.
    • Prius - much more passanger and cargo area.
    • Prius - electric only up to 42 MPH, HCH might do 5 MPH - Good for rolling along in the line at stop signs and nothing else. Still a big plus for HCH owners over the prior model.
    • Prius starts at -20F just as fast as +80F. No engine cranking, no 'warm up before you can drive it' rough idle time. Push start, READY mode well before your seatbelt is fastened.
    • Prius 4 cup holders, HCH: none in the back
    • Can't talk about ride/handling having not driven a 2006 HCH
    • What are the maintenance costs on an '06 HCH? I have no idea, but include it in your calcs. Certainly more frequent oil changes since the engine will be running for 99.9% of the miles you put on the car.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While this doesn't have much to do with the subjet at hand...

I used to say these EXACT words about the freeways I drive on. Then I got into EVs, and have become a WAY better and safer driver because of them. On the same roads that I decided were unsafe at anything under 80mph, I now consistently drive 55mph. And you know what? I regularly pass people who are even driving slower. Gosh, I never noticed them before! Usually I'll just catch up to a big rig who is doing the speed limit (55mph) and just stay with him for as long as possible. Three lane highway most of the time around here. Two more lanes to go around me on the left!

Because of my new-found driving skills, I now get about 40mpg in my standard gasoline 2001 Civic, and I get about 150mpgge in my Rav4EV. So if you're looking to save gas (and money) as the subject of this thread implies, please at least consider driving at a more conservative speed.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And now for something topical...

I have driven a Honda (Civic or Accord) since 1987. I like them, I really do. In my eyes, Hondas are better looking vehicles than Toyotas. And I REALLY like the new Civic re-design. If I were buying on aesthetics alone, the Civic would win in a heart-beat. But I'm at the age where I want what's *best* instead of what just looks the best. The availability of useful gadgets that the Prius offers just can't be matched. That stuff might not mean much to others, but it was a bit selling point for me. The extra interior space was the clincher though!

I recall that the first Civic Hybrid didn't allow the seat to fold because the battery was at the back of the trunk (toward the front of the car, just behind the rear seats. IF they're still placing the battery there, my guess is that's still the reason! The battery also consumed a bit of the trunk space. The Prius was designed to be a Hybrid while the Civic is closer to being a "conversion" from the traditional counter-part. For my money, Toyota did a better job - and I vote with my pocket book.

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree, this idea that I had to drive 80 mph was just in my head and now when I do the speed limit (55 or 65) I find that it's MUCH more relaxing and safe. It's also amusing to me to see everyone rush down the road thinking "I have to drive this fast". Not really amusing as I used to be one of them but seeing it from the other sides it looks so stressed. What determines how long it takes to get somewhere in my city (Boston) is red ligths and traffic. Going 80 vs 55 makes no real difference. On my 35 minute commute I lose all of a minute and a half (on average) doing the speed limit instead of rushing. It's a lot safer and I arrive to work/home relaxed.

I'm so glad the prius showed me the way.

So you don't "have to" go 80 mph, it's more unsafe to do so and you won't get there any faster (and you will pay more gas). In reality it's that you want to do so. For me it was to be seen as young and hard working and having a certain attitude (fed by car comercials).

Try to for one tank drive the speed limit. Use the cruise control *(you'll need that in the beginnning to keep speed down)* and you'll find that it's not only safer and easier it's also more relaxing.

The prius have plenty of umph to get you up to highway speed, it is FE at 100, or 80 or at 65or lower. It has no more "ideal" speed then any other car.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

• You forhet the two bottle holders in the door. so you basically have 6 vs (it seems) 2 . this must be an impotant fact no?

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I LOVED finding those bottle holders - great idea.

Especially after reading Bruceha's comparisons, I'm very glad I bought the Prius. The lack of folding seats really cut the Civic from contention for me. That's also a big reason I didn't wait for the HyCamry - I left one of those annoying passthroughs with my old Camry, and I didn't want to deal with it again.

Darrel, I cannot WAIT to see you giving silkshorts a run for his money over at GreenHybrid =)

7. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That was a deal breaker for me too. I liked the HCH2 alot. Its front seats were more comfortable and it didn't have the rear-vision problem. I have read elsewhere that folks are getting about 48 mpg at 70 which appears to be better than the Prius, which seems to come in about 40-45 mpg at that speed.

But in terms of flexible space, rear seat room, and hybrid technology, the Prius comes out a winner. So far I haven't found its farfurnugen, but that's partially because it doesn't have a manual transmission and because the weather sucks.

Regardless of what you choose, I'm willing to bet that either car will also save you a lot on repairs over the Jetta. That's a fun car, but unless you have an unusual one, the repairs can really add up. I know of 3 (and one Passat) that started losing oil pressure around the 60k mark and it wasn't due to owner neglect. Try to find a used Prius on a lot. See if you can try it out overnight. This is a big decision and the car takes getting used to.

Where are you located? There are msrp models available in the Portland area if that helps.

8. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Summary Bruce. How do you like the new tires? What differences have you noticed? Any mileage penalty?