1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2zz-GE Swapped Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Ben_g_24, Mar 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ben_g_24

Ben_g_24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey guys so I have a really shit 2007 Prius with 180k miles. I like the car, but I have never have loved it because of how underwhelming the power is. Recently, my father rear-ended someone it but only fast enough to cause some cosmetic damage which I repaired to the best of my ability. The car is pretty beat and at the end of it's life except for the fact that it has an almost new battery. Since it's almost always cheaper to work with what you already have, how hard do you think a 2zz-GE swap would be? Would I need to replace the entire front subframe, or would I be able to easily mount the engine and transmission? I have a bit of fabrication experience, as well as access to a high powered welder and plasma cutter? I would be looking for ~300hp with some sort of forced induction. I would like to keep it fwd for the sake of ease, and I would probably be removing the whole hybrid system. Or would it be worth it to keep it? Is there any way to swap in more powerful batteries and an electric motor? I do like the idea of a motor for low-end torque. Lastly, would I be able to part out the old drivetrain to cover at least part of the cost of the swap?

2. mpg_numbers_guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sell the car and buy a faster one if speed is your thing.

SFO likes this.
  3. Ben_g_24

Ben_g_24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah but in the condition it's in it would sell for like $2000 max. I couldn't buy anything with that, plus I would have to pay for CA registration on top of that. I want to do the swap, I'm just wondering if you have any actual insight on why or why not to do it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i definitely think it can be done, and not terribly difficult. but i have no insights. a larger motor and battery would work, but maybe more work because of computer software. put the spare parts on eBay/cl ahead of time and see what you get for nibbles.
    all the best!(y)

5. mpg_numbers_guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Using any other kind of hybrid system would seriously complicate the swap, because you would have to fabricate your own battery management system for the new setup. Modifications to a hybrid system are quite complex.

Best bet would be to gut it, including the hybrid components, and install an entirely new engine and drivetrain if you really want to go down this route. If you install a significantly more powerful motor you should upgrade other components as well to handle the extra power.

In point, it's highly unlikely that a full swap into a Prius would overall cost any less than selling it and buying a faster car. If getting a faster car for as cheap as possible is your goal, then doing this swap would not be the most beneficial in that department. If you're doing this as en enthusiast who enjoys working on and building cars, then by all means do this. It would be an exciting build and one I definitely would follow with interest.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  6. Ben_g_24

Ben_g_24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah I thought that just gutting it would be the easiest way to go, but if there was an easy way to keep the hybrid system, I would be open to that as well. I really like working on cars, and I want to drive something unique, so there is definitely more to this than just wanting a faster car. The real question for me now is whether it will be easier to chop a Celica GT-S subframe, engine, and transmission into the car, or whether I could mount the engine and 6 speed on the existing subframe. Also, I would have to find a way to install a shifter, and either get a new dash, swap in a different one, or make one.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. Cosmo Tigato

Cosmo Tigato Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base