1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$3.09/gal gas today

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 7, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

We're looking at the seasonal drop in gas prices. Looking at Gasbuddy.com for the past year:

• October 2012 - started the big drop, ~$0.60/gal decrease
    • August 2012 - started this year's drop

If we see the same drop as 2012, we're looking at gas being under $3.00/gallon soon. Possibly sooner than folks might expect.

Bob Wilson

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still hovering around $4 in Lost Angeles. Wanna mail me some? ;)

dogfriend likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When you get a chance, take a look at gasbuddy. com. There will be places with locally high prices, typically California. But gasoline is a supply-and-demand commodity with less than a one-week turnaround. I'm remembering the string of refinery shutdowns about 18 months ago that pretty well screwed California and the West Coast states.

Bob Wilson

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We also just saw $3.09 for TopTier major brand on the way home from Manassass Toyota where we had the steering recall done today. My station closer to home is $3.19. We are under $3 outside of NoVA.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $2.99 here.

6. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not in Cali Bra...

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The prob with these price comparisons is we need to quote before-tax basis and EPA RFG.
    In NoVA for TopTier major brand we have $3.19-(11+6+18.5) = approx. $2.84 before tax for RFG/TopTier

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the cheapest places in NJ has gas at$2.97. The places I frequent run from $3.09-3.13. Not missing the diesel right now. :D

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    $3.05/reg (less with card discounts). Now's the time to buy a hybrid. (y)

11. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No Taxtopia surcharges, here, in South Carolina. No 'speed" or "red light" cameras, here.

I have friends and brothers and sisters, who live in Virginia. They love the state.

For me, I'll ship the state of "creative" taxes.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...yes people like Virginia for great schools and colleges and quality of life. That's partly why it's hard to get traction fighting about new hybrid fees...most people are happy and not even aware of it.

However, we have lower gasoline taxes in VA than you do in SC, so I am not complaining about gaso tax. I am just saying our price comparsions would make more sense if we compared before-tax price.

14. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I can agree with the quality of life in Virginia, years ago.

I grew up, there and lived there for 28 years until 1978. It isn't what it used to be.

It now reminds me of Southern California.

Where I live in South Carolina reminds me of Virginia in the 1960's and 1970's. USC and Clemson isn't much behind the universities in Virginia. I went to William and Mary.

[quote="wjtracy, post: 1897094, member: 17892]However, we have lower gasoline taxes in VA than you do in SC, so I am not complaining about gaso tax. I am just saying our price comparsions would make more sense if we compared before-tax price.[/quote]

Really? I DON'T think so.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^Virginia lowered gaso tax in July_2013 to 3.5% wholesale price..that under 10 cents a gal now! Only Alaska cheaper to my knowledge. NoVA has +6 cents local tax.

16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't mean this personally, but what we really need is a comparison of world prices, so that we realise how cheap gas is in the US. Also, we need to understand the full cost of petroleum, because it's many times greater than the price at the pump.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seeing how the new Va rates only took effect in July, it is possible those charts are out of date.
    The heady fumes of lower gas prices are making people forget that part of the decrease is due to the switch to winter blend. Which is less energenic, and in a high efficiency car like the Prius, will result in a nocticable drop in fuel economy.

Fuel cost is a concern when considering a diesel, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to increase the EPA label mpg by 10%(this is the low side) for calculations. They still won't beat a Prius or other high performing hybrid, but those don't all fit everybody's needs and wants.

The article was alarmist. No where did it mention that the studies that resulted in diesel emissions being label a carcinogen were with diesel equipment without any emission controls, i.e. no filter.

"Even the latest so-called "clean" diesels are not necessarily safe because the particles are so small they can bypass the lung's natural defences."
    Blame Carb. They are the ones that shot down a simple replacable exhaust filter that would not have had that problem. And we'll just keep ignoring that gasoline cars already emit these smaller particles, and the amount will rise with direct injection engines.

Also of note, the article concerns Australia, which hasn't even adopted Euro V emission standards yet. Their new diesel cars can emit more more than a new one in the US.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...more states changing gaso taxes so the tables are getting old. MD has increased and has more increase every year coming. VA decreased. Both VA and MD are planning to assign internet sales tax (if passed) to replace gasoline tax. So if Congress does not tax ineternet sales by 2015, then VA and MD gaso taxes go up to compensate for that. Further complicating the picture is you really need to add up Federal+State+Local gaso taxes. It's apparently the law that oil companies are not allowed to show the taxes on your receipt, so it's very hard to know the taxes to be honest.

20. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah,

I was just in Virginia a couple of weeks, ago. The sales tax for everything purchased, except food and medicine went up to 6%. Last year, it was only 5%.

I won't be singing Carry Me Back to Old Virginia anytime soon.