1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$3,400 new key fob

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by 2016.touring, Jul 20, 2020.

1. 2016.touring

2016.touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I lost my only key fob. I called the only dealer in town who told me i had to have the car towed to his site with a projected cost of around $375 to get and program a new fob since there was no original. I checked with a local Automotive locksmith who offered to come to my location and open the locked doors and program a new key fob for $250. Great! He failed to program the fob because he brought the wrong fob with him. Error messages obtained on his ipad said "failure to communicate with the computer module". He left without charging me anything. I had it towed that night to the dealership. They received the same error message on their ipad. They blamed it on a dead battery charged me for a new one and communication failed still. After 2 days they asked the toyota sevice center to get online and try to reprogram two computer modules one of which was the identity module. They failed. They informed me i would have to replace two modules at a cost of $3400 because they were ruined by the on the street Automotive locksmith. I had no choice. I still dont believe that a non invasive procedure with a commercially available program could destroy two computer modules. It was the dealer and manufacturer against an automotive locksmith company and it was my fault for not choosing the dealer in the first place. As an engineer and programmer i dont see how this could happen.

2. husami

husami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel for you. I paid $200 to dealer just to try and fail to program a second key fob which I bought on ebay. I then bought a blank key fob from ebay (Toyota) and I bought the MCI programming tool and the TechStream software which took me hours to get working. But finally I was able to program a second key. As a programmer, you can see that nothing is impossible. I am glad now I have two keys in case one is lost. The problem is that most of the time my 12V battery dies and I require a jump. The problem with my key is that mechanical key doesn't work.

AzusaPrius and Mambo Dave like this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can't say that this is what happened to your car, but some car ECUs only allow n failed connection attempts before bricking themselves.

krmcg likes this.
  4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. Losing that last FOB is never any fun - but to have the modules die on you - whew!

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Automotive modules can get bricked very easily. We have come close to frying $1500 ECM's with just one failed reflash. While it is not uncommon, I am not entirely surprised either. You may need to go after the mobile locksmith who did this damage.

Raytheeagle and krmcg like this.
  6. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Put the spare in a safe or with other valuables so that it is easily found.

krmcg likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow

i would contact toyota corporate, and ask for some goodwill help. 4 year old car, that's just not right

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $3400 for a new key fob! I knew it is expensive to replace a fob if both are lost, but never thought that much. Thinking ahead, I did buy virginized key fob to program it as a spare and to save it in a safe, but I have never got to programing it. Maybe it was good thing I have not tried to do it DIY. I might have bricked the ECU. I am so sorry for your trouble, but thank you for giving me a warning what not to do if I am not sure how to DIY.

9. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Pretty sure its not just the key fob, but instead having to replace the whole keyless entry security system with matching receiver and transmitter.

krmcg likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I understand that is what ended up costing. But it all started with lost fob(s), and messing with the programing unsuccessfully.

11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't the first I've read on P/Chat - but the others were resolved much cheaper. Similar with a relative on a Mazda.

I guess the bottom line is to always have a working spare, even though it will cost more than we want to spend.

krmcg likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The headline is a bit misleading as the reality is....

I don't think there is any Godzilla, King Kong, smashing of a key fob scenario that would ever result in replacement of just the fob being $3400.

2k1Toaster likes this.
  13. JakeCastle

JakeCastle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OMG what a nightmare.... I would feel robbed. Hope local lock smith is bonded and insured. I can only be thankful that i was able to buy a used key fob off ebay and program it is with pirated techstream myself. Need to remember tech stream runs on x32 and not x64 OS which is why a lot of folks are having a problem with it.

jtg61 likes this.
  14. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OP and or moderator should change the title of the thread. It IS misleading, and a casual google "Prius key fob replacement" searcher might rightfully be alarmed by it.