1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3% Fuel in 1st Oil Change at 1300 miles 2024 XLE

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by X001100, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Luckily my generation twos and even the threes the engine runs way more than I guess what you're talking about here so our oil tends to come out like the CX-5 hell leaving my volt oil looks like your CX-5 the light looking brown business I don't ever see that I remember some of that in the '80s

2. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yeah, well take notice that what you saw was a worst case scenario. The engine never properly heated it's oil during our frigid canadian winter and shit ensued. And it wasn't even that much rigorous of a winter this year.. With that being said, next winter, i'm going to make the car run in charge mode once a week to make sure that some heat goes in that oil and vaporise the humidity/gas that may get there.

#22 DOHCtor, Jun 23, 2024 at 9:58 AM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 10:07 AM
  3. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The previous generation had coolant heating from exhaust heat during warm up. What does the latest generation have? It’s pretty hard to see without an OBD scanner what the coolant temp is. Of course coolant temp isn’t oil temp.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When was the last time you got good fuel economy out of a cold engine?

In a Prius, the calculated MPG on the dash can stand in for a lot of other instruments, just because lots of the negative things that you'd see on those instruments would also impact your fuel economy.

It's not detailed or deterministic, but it is useful.

5. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Exactly this! Gen 2 had the coolant thermos that was pretty effective. Gen 4 had the Exhaust Heat Recovery System (that i call heat trap). Very effective too but Toyota changed tons and tons of these on warranty. My guess is, it's for that reason that the Gen 5 don't have it. Sucks, it was really effective at putting some heat in that cold engine.

6. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota usually doesn’t go backwards. Gen 2 had a coolant storage bottle. Gen 3 and 4 had exhaust heat recovery. Someone out there in the internet must know what Toyota did to make warm up even better on Gen 5.

I use display mpg to know if I am doing better or worse over distances. Like if it says 70 mpg, and it starts trending down, not getting 70 anymore. If starts going over 70, actually getting over 70. Like pressure on gas pedal or different techniques will show if one way is better, or worse than another.
    Otherwise I want coolant temp, oil temp, and oil pressure gauges.
    Typically I start the engine in town in plans for a highway run. Don’t really look at mpg then. I don’t use the car much as a hybrid yet.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe the gen2 thermos was like the fuel tank bladder; only installed for North America in order to achieve emission ratings good enough for incentives.

Similarly, the exhaust heat recovery system was only in Canadian and US models, not Mexico.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gen 3 has EHR too, was not problematic. Gen 4 apparently had a manufacturing defect, for some time anyway.

9. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yes you're right. I forgot Gen 3 had it but yes! As for the Gen 4 EHRS, it definitely had problems, at least until 2020 MY cars, we changed TONS of them under warranty. Never touched that on my 2021 but then, i sold it at a hair under 80m km..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe Toyota needs to a little less “continuous improvement”, and devote more attention to issues like this: 5 model years until they addressed this dumpster fire…

I think there’s STILL a backlog on parts, judging from the bypass threads here. Coupled with dealerships barely aware of the problem.