1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 hours at Toyota dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hormosapiens, Aug 20, 2016.

1. hormosapiens

hormosapiens Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, so I had some metallic noise coming from both front right and left side wheels when I drive over rough asphalt or small pot holes. It had been repaired once for the same thing and kept going for a year. now it looked like I was losing parts or some thing was so loose that it was going to fall apart.
    So I went to the dealership because I tend to think that brakes are important, and it is worth it to be robbed for important things... by the crooks at dealership network all over US that I have only heard bad experiences.(sorry the rant) dreaming of a day when the OEM can only replace my battery and the local mechanic can only do my brakes, the rest is software which I can deal with myself. Tesla model 3 anyone :)

Anyway to the point,
    The following is service records for the job they did, I paid $120 for just tighten nuts and bolts I suspect, as I dont have the noise anymore.

AXLES/SUSPENSION ~|~C/S METALLIC NOISE FROM FROMT WHEELS OVER BUMPS MOSTLY FROM THE RIGHT FRONT ~|~FOUND RIGHT FRONT BRAKE PAD BRACKET HARDWARE LOOSE CAUSING NOISE OVER BUMPS. ~|~WILL NEED TO REPLACE RIGHT FRONT BRACKET AND HARDWARE TO START COST = $669.14 LESS $120 DIAG CHARGE

My question is:
    what parts should I buy on ebay and go to my local mechanic, pay labour and not get robbed by the dealership.

As I understand it, these hardware will get loose again. I don't need to replace pads or disc. Just the hardware that holds this. Do they sell hardware like this or they come in sets?

thoughts, ideas, suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you in advance and happy Prius.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Assuming it's similar to 3rd generation: there's two bolts holding the brake caliper to a bracket, and two bolts holding that bracket to the front suspension. The brake pads and associated shims, some end clips are all just captured, held in place by the caliper.

I really don't understand their description. Maybe written by an inexperienced service writer? Whatever's actually happening, I would get a second opinion (another dealership) and see if you can get a more clear explanation of the problem.

Or at least ask for clarification from the first place, maybe you can talk directly to the mech

hormosapiens likes this.
  3. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I went to the dealership because I tend to think that brakes are important, and it is worth it to be robbed for important things... by the crooks at dealership network all over US that I have only heard bad experiences.

Evidently you heard bad experiences by reading some post on here. I have had my 2010 serviced at the dealer since I bought it. I get free oil changes, tire rotations , and free wash any time I take it there. I just bought a set of Michelin Premier tire for less than I would have paid at Costco. I have other options here to get it serviced but they are about the same price. They have never tried to upsell me or recommend service that was not due. Sorry you had bad experience but don't blame all Dealers.

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, because it reads as if they wanted another 500+ to replace things. Did they tell you that you were done for now? I wonder how long it will remain noise free . . .

I believe the mechanical parts of the brakes are pretty standard, so you might have a brake shop check them over. It is bleeding the brake fluid (if that is replaced) that is a bit tricky on this vehicle.

5. hormosapiens

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Its nice to hear you love dealerships. I personally hate them, I only go there if there is serious work to do like brakes... Anyway, do you want me to post here a long list of services another Toyota dealership "recommended" me to do? its about $1800 on a prius that runs perfectly. Of course, if you run after profit and not the truth you will recommend people to have an oil change even if you just changed oil 5 min ago, just an example
    But again, I can understand that there are honest people out there, and they are a endangered species.
    Thank you for your opinion.

6. hormosapiens

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They told me that they repaired it and that for now its ok, but in long term I need to replace those parts. I guess they decided to go with repair and not keep reinforcing the replacement idea because I told him since the beginning "I am not gonna spend $400 or more on this thing today as I don't have it".
    So, they must have thought just tight those hardware a bit and get this guy on the road as there is no money to make here.
    I think it will go noiseless for at list 6 months as it did the first time they repaired them. I believe is not a safety issue, otherwise they would have been more consistent on replacing parts.
    thanks

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would ask them.
    From what is presented, yes it sounds like existing hardware was tightened. BUT...they are recommending replacing the hardware.

Even at a dealership, it's YOUR vehicle. I'd want to know exactly why the recommendation to replace the hardware, maybe even ask to see the existing bracket, and why the replacement justification has been made.

I understand peoples frustration with dealership service departments. BUT...
    You weren't just paying 120 to have the hardware tightened. You paid to have it discovered and diagnosed as a problem.
    Maybe that's not a bargain, but I also read that if you had the bracket and hardware replaced they were going to reduce the cost minus the cost of the diagnostic.

If you want someone else to do it? Or to do it yourself? I think also that you have every right to ask THEM exactly what parts they are talking about. The information....is what you paid $120 for.

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry! …whilst you have my commiserations re. Stealerships (although my local Toyota Dealership has always treated me fairly), your long tale of woe reminded me of a note I saw on an aviation site, which amused me somewhat, and so I'm repeating it here (sorry if it's too long, or in the wrong place!)

After every flight, Qantas Airlines pilots fill out a form called a gripe sheet, which conveys to the mechanics problems encountered with the aircraft during the flight that need repair or correction. The mechanics read and correct the problem, and then respond in writing on the lower half of the form what remedial action was taken, and the pilot reviews the gripe sheets before the next flight. Never let it be said that ground crews and engineers lack a sense of humor.

Here are some supposedly actual logged maintenance complaints and problems as submitted by Qantas pilots and the solution as recorded by Qantas maintenance engineers.

By the way, Qantas is the only major airline that has never had an accident.

(P = The problem logged by the pilot.)
    (S = The solution and action taken by the engineers.)

P: Left inside main tyre almost needs replacement.
    S: Almost replaced left inside main tyre.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
    S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
    S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
    S: Live bugs on backorder.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
    S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
    S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
    S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
    S: That's what they're there for.

P: IFF inoperative.
    S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
    S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
    S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
    S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
    S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
    S: Cat installed.

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
    S: Took hammer away from midget."

edthefox5, Merkey and bisco like this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PS.
    It's a beef of mine.
    But I really don't like the way modern Dealership Service departments have evolved.

They whisk your vehicle away, to some usually unviewable area.
    You never get to speak to the actual technician or person doing the work.

Your interaction is removed and antiseptic, with communication usually starting and ending with a customer counter "Service Adviser".
    At quite frankly most of the time I feel the service adviser may know how to punch buttons and make appointments, BUT their knowledge of the vehicle and the work may be severely lacking.

The distancing between customer and actual mechanic or technician has made dealership service a total act of trust.
    There is usually no transparency.
    You hope they have done the work, you hope it has some connection to the value your paying for with your bill.
    But the majority of your contact is usually with a 20 something kid, who's mechanical knowledge seems to start and stop with being able to print your bill on the printer.

I actually had a dealership--Not Toyota--with a Service Adviser that presented me with a 3-5 page summary of a supposed inspection they did while servicing my vehicle.
    In the summary there was a portion where they showed the 4 tires, and they were all marked in red, with the urgent advice that my tires needed to be replaced ASAP.
    The "Service Adviser" was just about to pitch me on the dealerships great "Tire Deal"...when I pointed out that I had JUST replaced the tires a few weeks ago.....Brand New.

So yeah, I have mistrust of service departments. But it's up to us....to work to get the most information and value we can. And if we don't like it? Move on.

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I was a kid, I worked at a garage (back in the UK) and above the desk in the office there was a sign: Our rates are £5/hour to work on your car, £10/hour if you watch, £15/hour if you help! (bear in mind that was UK in the mid-60s) ;)

bisco likes this.
  11. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sounds like the bolted connection between the steering knuckle and the brake caliper bracket has failed. Tightening the bolts is not a sufficient repair, since it's happened twice. I'd bet that both the steering knuckle and the caliper bracket (and bolts of course) should be replaced. You can use this site, using your VIN, for part numbers.

This is strictly mechanical work, nuts and bolts, and any front end shop can do it. The tricky Prius hydraulic system does not have to be touched. You should be able to get a decent price if you shop around.

I'm sure you know, your brakes are compromised, possibly severely, and this affects not only your safety, but that of your passengers and anyone who happens to be in front of you.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? i have never heard of something like this before.

13. hormosapiens

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, i wonder what could cause that kind of wear.

15. hormosapiens

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My brakes are ok. Pads are not at the point of being replaced. Nothing is compromised. I feel the brakes are the same after dealership repair. I will go on for some time now like this and the next time I will do a complete brake work at the local mechanic.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds like a good idea. i wonder if some loctite would help.

17. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm sure the pads are fine. Prius brake pads, because of the electrical regen function, can last the life of the car. But based on the service write-up and cost, the bracket holding the pads to the rest of the car is not doing so well.

But I also have never heard of this before, so part of me doubts it's even the problem. From your original description, and then describing that there's no difference in feel, it sounds more like a bent sheet metal dust cover. If that's all it is, you're really getting a story from that dealer!

That happened recently to my other car and it took a few minutes with a pair of channellocks to fix it. Good luck with it.

hormosapiens likes this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those were great thanks.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle: