1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 Lights and You're Out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cynthia O, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Cynthia O

Cynthia O New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car is a 2007 Prius with 137K mileage. The hybrid battery was replaced in May. Today I was driving and the car went into neutral, then three lights came on: the master warning light, the malfunction indicator lamp (check engine), and the hybrid system warning light. I turned on the hazards and tried to put the car into drive. No go. Then, I turned the car off and on. The car went into drive, and I pulled it around a corner to get out of traffic. I turned it off and on again. Still the lights remained; however, I was able to take it to my mechanic. He did a test for codes, and these came up as being current on the HV ECU and Cruise Control:
    P0A1D - Hydrid Powertrain Control Module
    U0100 - Lost Communication with ECM/PCM A
    U0111 - Lost Communication With Battery Energy Control Module "A"
    P3000 - Battery Control System
    U0129 - Lost Communication With Brake System Control Module

History code that came up for the engine, the HV battery, and the antilock breaks is:

U0293 - Lost Communication With Hybrid Vehicle Control System

Once the 12V battery had been tested when the car was on but not in drive, there were no battery issues. When the car was on and ready to drive, tested again, and there were no issues. Once the battery was tested the second time, all the lights went off. I test drove it, and the car seemed fine. Mechanic suggested replacing the 12V battery. Thinks there may have been corrosion that was knocked off during the testing. From what I can see, the batteries don't corrode because they are covered.

Suggestions here? I don't believe the 12V battery has ever been replaced.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    With what?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replace the 12v, it's going on 9 years, way past it's prime....

Many recommend replacement after 5 years

Fern1461 and b100 like this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Replace the 12V battery.
    2. If the battery replacement does not help, it may be necessary to replace the hybrid vehicle ECU (located behind the glove compartment, next to the engine ECU). DTC P0A1D points to a fault in that ECU.