1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 New 2010 Prius Spy Photos

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Sep 24, 2008.

1. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    They will NOT be selling ANY more Prii to Rural Mail Carriers if we cannot get our left leg across when driving from the passenger seat!!!

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development got to do with a Prius?:eek:

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just thought about cross wind... :eek:

4. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HUD = Heads Up Display, such as those found on military jets where important tactical information is projected up onto the windshield, where it is reflected back to the driver's eyes.

If this were true, I would be surprised, but not surprised.

Surprised because this would be such a major evolution in automobile design. Surprised that it would achieve DOT approval. (I think automotive technology evolves relatively slowly, mostly due to the resistance posed by regulatory agencies). Surprised because flying military jets and driving cars are completely different in what the pilot/driver needs to focus attention on.

Not surprised because this is the Prius we're talking about, which has one of the most innovative drivetrains in automotive history.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Certain BMWs have the HUD and I believe Cadillac used to offer it so it's not "new" technology in vehicles.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple more notes:

- It appears they're using the standard door/window frames rather than the thinner ones most recently found on the new Camry

- Is the headlight back to the one bulb setup? I would prefer a dual-bulb so that the DRL can be used as reduced high beams or bright ambers.

- Still can't figure out the side/corner light

- the seats look just as thin as the current one

- Is that the third brake light between the rear split window and the top of the camouflage?

- the rear lights do look vertically arranged (mostly the fact that the taillight assembly is skinnier/thinner than before)

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmm all the talk about a lexus prius and 1.8 engine in the new prius
    and then this dash.. leather steering more buttons...

maybe this wil be the lexus prius with a bigger engine for more power and a normal dash....
    also the rims are more sporty and less earodynamic.

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    THE NEW BATMOBILE !!!! WooooHooooo!!!!

9. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think Bob Lutz caught on. Just got these spy photos from GM's top secret R&D department ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The fins are likely intentionally deceptive, or perhaps designed to make it harder for people to see inside the hatch etc. They might even be there to make it easier to lift the full body bra off the testbed.

If you put fins like that on the Prius, rear quarter visibility will be impaired so I find it unlikely.

11. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like that they lowered the MFD. The way that it sticks up in the current Prius looks very clunky. The new dash is much more flowing and refined. I like the new shifter location too. The current shifter kind of feels like a toy.

All in all, I think they did a great job evolving the dash layout. It will be more popular with the general public. However, the current Prius owners will not like it, because people generally do not like change.

I hope they have improved the driving position. The current position is annoyingly upright.

12. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wonder why they are lowering the position of the MFD. With it lower placement on the dash, you will have to take your eyes off the road more so than now. I remember when they redesigned the LS400 to the LS430, they explained how they moved the navigation system moved higher up on the dash so the driver would not have to take their eyes off the road as much. I personally do not mind the location of the current MFD, but I would like a more refined look.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto, I don't mind the current location but it sticks out of the dash and you can see it from the car behind lol. Having it lower gives it a more fluid dashboard design and is something the majority of the people out there prefer (i.e. it's more familiar to THEM)

14. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I agree. I think this next one is being engineered to look more familiar to the general public. I hope it still has some quirkiness to it though.

15. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I like that new inside layout. It looks a lot more comfortable, and ergonomic. Thankyou USBSEAWOLF! Where did that shot come from?

Dave

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't like the new interior at all. I have been thinking about this though. I think they want to improve efficiency and bring the cost down. There must be some sought of energy flow indicator in the dash below the windshield instead of the MFD.
    I still like the MFD. Glad I have my 2004. I like the Volt display more but, I would not pay $40K for it. That is what Toyota is thinking. If you want the extras buy the Lexus Prius. Maybe I will after I see it.

18. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought it was 2010 Toyota Prius BelAir (old Chevy) model what with the fins and all.

19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I disagree 100% :) They should have MORE on the MFD. Like the ability to change settings for stuff like backup beeper, seat belt reminders, etc.

I prefer having FEWER knobs, sliders, etc on the dash. The 'buttons' on the MFD can be larger and easier to read since they can put as many or as few buttons on a given screen as makes sense. Think about putting all the existing button on the dash, it would be unusable.

Do the radio preset buttons on your dash mounted radio show the station setting for each button? If you want to set the Climate Control to 72F, do you have a display on the dash for that?

I agree that when I rented a Prius in 2003, I thought the MFD was a bit wierd. But now I find the MFD in our Gen 2 Prii to be well thought out and very functional, much more so than dedicated space for each thing on the dash.

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OH GAWD PLEASE DO NOT PUT THAT INTERIOR IN THE NEW PRIUS!!!!!!!!
    :nono:

TOYOTA ARE LISTENING??? You are blowing EVERYTHING that is GOOD about the current Prius 'cockpit', EVERYTHING.

This 'design' ROTS!
    - It cramps the driver and shotgun passenger. Tall drivers USE the space for their knees where there is NO console in the current Prius.
    - Tons of wasted space with the 'forward' console hunk.
    - The armrest is USELESS, much too short.
    - Is the thing with the phone in it supposed to be a cup holder, and the 'second' cup holder is inside the armrest RIGHT where I WANT my elbow, making the armrest even shorter when you use the cup holder?
    - The shifter is too big and IN THE WRONG PLACE. Heck, they could make the current one SMALLER! A Prius shifter does not need to be gripped. The ONLY reason for a shifter to be on the console is if you need to use it frequently, as in a MANUAL transmission. Since there is no actual linkage, it should NOT be hogging space on the console. They blew that on the Hybrid Camry too.

I was looking forward to replacing my 2004 with a PHEV Prius when it comes out but if this is what the cockpit will look like, Toyota just lost a sale. Two when it comes time to replace the wife's '06.

And if that front end is even close, they are blowing their Cd by losing the single initial point of contact with the wind. Too much grille work. Is Toyota letting their art department design the cars and telling the engineers to fit inside that box?