1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 New 2010 Prius Spy Photos

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Andrew Stephenson

Andrew Stephenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting photos, here and elsewhere.

Looks like they have been doing some heat-stress testing, going by the taped-up air inlets in some photos, suggesting they're happy with the basic performance.

That new central shifter: it's worth bearing in mind that current Prii :p (mine is a UK T4 of mid-2005) differ in placement of the shifter and start/stop button, depending on left- or right-hand drive, so putting that stuff in the centre could be a big money saver and simplifier of the production lines.

I'm not sure about lowering the screen. I suspect it's one of those things we'll get used to; and maybe they've brought in other tricks to make up for the lowered sight-line.

2. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Spy shots: Next-generation prius gets a little wider, shorter and faster

Sorry if this is nothing new, I did use the search feature & got to this thread.

Here's some info from the latest SEMA eNews:

SEMA eNews, Vol. 11, No. 41 - Oct 09, 2008
    SPY SHOTS: NEXT-GENERATION PRIUS GETS A LITTLE WIDER, SHORTER AND FASTER

[​IMG]

Toyota's history of extreme camouflage may mean that this is the only look of the new Prius that we'll get until the North American International Auto Show in January, says auto spy photog Brenda Priddy. This is the first time Priddy's network of spy shooters has caught the hatch design fully uncovered.

The new Prius will be built at Toyota's new Mississippi plant and will measure in a bit wider (about 2.5 cm) and about 3 cm shorter than the current model, Priddy says. The new Prius us also expected to get a 40-plus horsepower bump from a new 1.8L engine, and better fuel economy. Nickel metal hydride batteries will still provide electric power, but lithium ion batteries are anticipated in the future.

[​IMG]
    Link: Article Detail

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lower = Good = Less Frontal Area = Less Drag
    Wider = Good = Less body roll and more stability when cornering
    Faster = Good = More fun to laugh at the gas guzzlers when you beat them at the stop light would using half the fuel
    More Efficient = Good = More money for beer!

Sounds good to me!

Anyone else notice that the rear spoiler seems to be a lot thinner than the current one? Should improve visibility out the back window a bit for those who find it distracting.

4. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Overall, I like the new look. The screen (Presumably the MFD) looks cheap and monochrome. Why go back to the 90's with the display tech? I think that a cheap MFD would be a deal-breaker for me.

Lets make it cooler... I think that it would be nice to have the MFD handle all the functions of a carputer.

5. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand your preference, but why are you READING -anything- while you're driving? The reason some things are controlled via big dash knobs is so we can reach them and make the settings changes we seek to make without looking away from the road.

~ dan ~

And it's assinine to have to navigate through a series of menus to accomplish one or two things in any car. That's why the first generation of BMW's idrive was flamed so hard.

6. jorgeez

jorgeez New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The overall shape and lines of the car is almost the same as the current version. But I am just hoping that Toyota will do something about the car's interior.