1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 Replacements, Can Afford One: Which One?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skylinedrive804, Jul 7, 2018.

1. skylinedrive804

skylinedrive804 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello. I've been getting 16 MPG for a week or two, fueling every 1.5 days.

Toyota said I need to replace the combination meter (dashboard doesn't light up half the time), replace the fuel tank, and replace the main battery.

Which of the three called replacements would best improve the MPG? I'm thinking fuel tank.

Bought the car for $8,000 at 120K. Current 184K. Repairs w/ labor for all three: $6,000.

Should I just repair one?

•Combo Meter parts and labor = $900
    •Fuel Tank Replacement parts and labor = $1300
    •New Battery parts and labor = $1950

2. MIdasko

MIdasko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    1. The battery will get you back up to normal mileage. This will also save you on gas helping you save money quicker for repairs. If that price your dealer quoted you is for a brand new battery installed I'd jump on it. Thats a great price.

2. Used combo meters can be had on Ebay for fairly cheap. I just bought my 06 and I have a letter from Toyota in my glovebox from the original owner that says should the combo meter go out within 9 years of September 2010 that they will replace it at no charge. Might be worth checking on.

3. This is the first I've heard of a bladder going bad. Someone else might have more information.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

skylinedrive804 and ITBland like this.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree, first the traction battery then the combo meter, then a second opinion on the fuel tank.

ITBland likes this.
  4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on this!
    T-SB-0172-09 Combination Meter - Intermittent Display, Toyota extended the warranty on the combination meter to 9 years from date of first use, no mileage limitation. You are almost certainly past that, but you can check your date of first use by inputting your VIN at Toyota's Vehicle Specification - Vehicle Information Lookup site. (Even if after that date, can't hurt to ask!)
    Also, PC member @Texas Hybrid Batteries has an online repair service for this.
    You should also register as the car's owner and see what other information Toyota has.

skylinedrive804 likes this.
  5. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on this also!

6. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the issue with the fuel tank? And more importantly what could that possibly have to do with fuel economy? Unless it is leaking. In that case, you're not getting poor fuel economy, you're losing fuel. If that is the case, replace that first. It is a safety issue.
    But, the same with a combination meter? Why would that affect the fuel economy at all?

You might want to look at that estimate again...$1950 is the "best price" on the battery ONLY.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco and ITBland like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    agree. want to know about the fuel tank issue before recommending. combo meter can be had for less if you shop around.
    if that is a new toyota oem battery, i would jump on it, very good price.

ask them for the trouble codes and post them here. what dealer is it?

all the best!(y)