1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 service attempts for check engine light diagnosis not found

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Meredith12830, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Meredith12830

Meredith12830 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone!

I bought my first Prius, a used 2009 with 58k miles. I've driven it for 11 months without too many problems. Once the mater warning light came on. I was caught in a flash flood and had to drive through 2 feet of standing water. I was told that may have caused the warning light. That was 9 months ago, lots of long road trips and no problems. Until now.

After a longer trip, about 300 miles, the check engine light came on the next morning. The car jerked a little at idle but didn't run horribly. It's usually a little "chunky" on a cold start in the morning, ever since I bought it. It was the least chunky of the ones I test drove! I was able to get it to Autozone to check the codes: P0304. I took it to a local mechanic and they had the car for two days. These are their notes:
    Tried swapping the ignition coil, spark plug and injector. After this process, the misfire moved to cyliner 1. They set PO301 code. It showed evidence of an intake leak near manifold gasket. Replaced gasket and the problem persisted. Need more time to locate intake leak.

They had multiple mechanics and two full days of work. No answers. I drove it home, the engine light stayed off. A week later the master light came on. Took it to another mechanic:

P0A0F - Engine failed to start
    P3107 - Lost Communication with Airbag system control module
    These were codes for HV ECU (current, history) and Cruise control.

He basically told me, let me know when you want me to start randomly replacing parts. So, no thank you. The master warning light was reset, stayed off. But the engine light was back on.
    I bit the bullet and brought it to the toyota dealership. Day one, same misfire code, multiple hours, no answers. He asked for more time to make a case with toyota.

Everyone seems to want more time and more of my money. But nobody has answers. There is no warranty left, no recalls that need fixing. Just an $8k hunk of mysterious junk.

I bought this car because it was dependable and needed nothing! I want to donate to mechanics Olympics to see who can be the first hero.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sad to say, two feet of water may have,for all intents and purposes, basically totaled your car. have you discussed it with your insurance company?

exstudent and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Meredith12830

Meredith12830 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not. Do you have any advice on how I should frame it? Just give them all the information? I'm just looking for a way to put this car to its death and not have someone else inherit the problem!

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why not just replace the coil? If you moved it and it moves....the failed part is the coil

5. Meredith12830

Meredith12830 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE:
    They say there may be water in the fuel. Any additional thoughts?

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you think you have a vacuum leak a good way to find leaks is with a "Smoke Machine" . Here is a goofy guy showing you how they work
    and they are for sale on Amazon and eBay or you can go on YouTube and build your own. You could take it to a shop and have them use their $1,000 smoke machine on it.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't understand the diagnostic, when the coil is moved and the misfire moves. How does that point to fuel?

SFO likes this.
  8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you are trying to find a misfire on one specific cylinder I say it isn't because of water. If it was water the misfire would be on random cylinders. You could put some of the stuff in your gas tank for water and it wouldn't hurt anyway. If you drove it 9 months after you drove through water the water did't come from that it would have showed up immediately.

9. Meredith12830

Meredith12830 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That guy is amazing. The first mechanic did actually use their smoke machine. And didn't find any leaks. They said it may just be a tiny leak?

10. Meredith12830

Meredith12830 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right. I drove through water then a few hours later all the hybrid warning lights came on - master, check engine, airbag, etc. I took it in the next day, they checked it, found nothing. Reset it. Never came on again. I also would think that all those lights would come on again if water was the problem?

11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Modern cars don't handle water well because there are so many electronics, some are actually under the floor of the car. I don't know if the Prius has any but some do so water is a no no.

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Assuming you have comprehensive coverage, call your insurance company already and see if they will write it off.

I am inclined to believe they will write it off:
    • 2ft of water,
    • radom intermittent problems,
    • and esp P3107 - Lost Communication with Airbag system control module

13. Meredith12830

Meredith12830 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you give me more information on products to put in the tank to deal with water? They want two more service hours to drain the tank and test the fuel. That's a lot of money plus a loss of gas if thats the case.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with post #12, just tell them what happen.

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First of all I am not saying there is water in your tank but you hate to say someone is wrong and later find out if they are right, I understand that.

If I thought I had a lot of water in my gas tank the first thing I would do is run it down low and pump as much of the gas/water out of the tank as I could. These pumps from Harbor Freight work well for doing this.

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

After removing the gas I would really want to know if there was any water by inspecting the gas I took out and then I would start putting the product called Heat or similar product sold at auto parts stores. Here is a video that shows it being tested.

Good luck.

16. pashko90

pashko90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry, but i don't get it.
    Are you want to fix your car and pay no money for it? I don't think what is gonna work.
    Draining fuel tank on prius does not requre tank removal. It have a service hole under rear seat.

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Are those "water" removal products compatible with the bladder? They might introduce other problems.

IIRC, the factory service manual has a specific procedure to drain the gas from the bladder tank and the lines.

18. pashko90

pashko90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can use isopropyl alcohol 91% from your local pharmacy. It works. Just add 2-3 qt in fuel tank.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Original post says drove car for nine months after it’s sailing trip now 9 months later there’s water in the fuel tank?

How is water supposed to get in the fuel tank from underneath. I would not bother chasing this guess work.
    You will just make the situation worse.

Thought the misfire moved with the coil on plug move?

20. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya know, why did everyone take that "flooded path." It is doubtful that has any bearing nine months later. Listen to edthefox5

Raytheeagle and edthefox5 like this.