1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

30,000 miles maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Jul 28, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Well, I need to have 30,000 mile maintenance done. I called a dealer and I was told the cost is $430.00
    A bit expensive.

What do I really need to have done at 30,000? The dealer recommends all kinds of crap.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The manual calls for Oil Change and Tire Rotation like every other time.

Also calls for Air and Cabin Air Filter changes. You can do those yourself easy.

Then, all the normal 'inspections'.

Don't let the dealer sell you lots of stuff, particularly if it involves 'flushes' or 'additives'. They can do more harm than good.

Depending on what you pay for the normal 5K service, it should cost at most $75 more for the filters and labor to change them, but even that's really gouging.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Jul 28 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]293803[/snapback]</div>
    I'll do my the cabin air filter myself
    what about those inspections listed? Do I need them? Also what about engine air filter?

4. Ron Dupuy

Ron Dupuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try another dealer!!!!!! I just had the 30 done at Toyota in Eureka and it was $160.

5. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Jul 28 2006, 07:55 AM) [snapback]293803[/snapback]</div>
    Is there an on-line version of the maintenance schedule for the 2006 Prius? I haven't received my car yet and I would like to review it. What are the "inspections" you mention?

I get angry when service departments try to sell me extra stuff that is uncalled for and that I don't need. All these "flushes" and "additives" are pure nonsense. One dealer did an unauthorized "flush" on my MR2 about ten years ago and it cost me no end of problems, both with the car and with them. It took the better part of half a year to get the problem they caused corrected and get my money back for the unwanted nonsense.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Jul 28 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]293808[/snapback]</div>
    http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-maintain04.htm has a list for the 2004. The 2006 should be similar.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you can replace your own engine and cabin filters- you may not even need them if they look clean. the engine air filter is in that black box with hinges under the hood. and you can check your own fluid levels.

it is a good idea to have the car inspected if you're taking it in for the oil change anyway, just to be sure. much easier to replace a cv boot than a cv joint.

dealer recommended maintenance schedules often don't take into account how different the prius is than other cars.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Jul 28 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]293808[/snapback]</div>
    http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Thanks everyone.
    I just got back from the dealer. I had to take the car in for the recall and they wanted to do all kinds of crazy stuff. I told them to do only oil change and tire rotation. Paid $50.00. I checked my cabin air filter and it is a little dirty. I am not sure how dirty it should be to replace it but I bought one anyway.
    As far as the engine air filter I will check it later. How do I know if it needs replacement?
    I will check my own fluids. What else should I have inspected?
    I didn't ask the dealer to do any other ispection because they want to charge for that.
    At least I got the recall done, oild changed and tires rotated.