1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

300 bucks for a Block Heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nyty-nyt, Nov 16, 2009.

1. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I didn't have the time or mechanical confidence to install an EBH myself so I forked out a box of cash to have the dealer install it for me. It took a long time, so I guess I made the right decision. After a winter with it I don't think I will ever earn back the money in fuel savings.
    In deep cold it seems that I reach stage III temperatures just a bit farther down the road with the block heater off, so why did I spend all this money?
    I've been using the EBH on mornings where the temperatures are above freezing, and between short trips, to keep the engine warm, and I think that's where the savings might be. It's surprising just how fast our little engine cools off when parked, and when gliding in cool weather.
    I have two plugs for my car, one on a timer that starts the EBH at 5 am (why heat the engine all night?) and the other is plugged in at all times for those 1 hour parks between short trips. By using the EBH to keep the engine warm I am able to re-enter Stage III without coming to a stop, which I find to be a complete pain.
    My biggest problem has been to remember to unplug the block heater before backing down my driveway. Nothing is worse than getting to work and finding the cord hanging, a victim of being wrenched apart. To solve this, one of my kids' stuffed animals adorns my wiper control stick, blocking the power button when the car's plugged in. Goofy but effective.

Attached Files:

2. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you grill block? That should allow the engine to warm higher with the ebh, and should keep it warmer when moving, too.

3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 on the grill blocking. I've just finished a couple of days driving with full upper and lower blocking and have been amazed at the difference. Best $1.94 I've spent on the car (I went with the pipe insulation method, used 2 x 6' long pieces.)

- D

4. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Yep, I grill block when the temperatures get safer, but I don't really think it prevents cooling in extreme temperatures. With so much grill space under the bumper, I think that probably needs to be blocked too. Last winter I blocked the grill, and still never reached 70 degrees C on my 20 minute commutes to work, even with the cabin heat turned off. Had the thermostat checked, and it was fine. When I maximize my mileage in winter, the engine doesn't produce much heat, because it doesn't burn much fuel, I guess. I'm going to block the area under the bumper this year and try that.
    Now that we have 50 degree highs, and nights near freezing, the EBH starts me off at a decent water temp, though, and is improving my mileage even over what I was getting when it's warm out. My commute is short enough that the first bar is a killer that's hard to overcome by being efficient on the rest of the voyage. If I had a nice 40 minute commute the first bar wouldn't handicap me so much. Using the EBH helps a lot in my commute situation and on evenings when I drive my kids short distances to their activities. If you've installed an ebh, try using it as I describe, but I think if you expect to get your money back in fuel savings you will be disappointed.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    $300 is a lot of dough . . . often you can get a drive by, from nice PC folks that are more than willing to help. Oh well, maybe next time.

6. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ???

What is the pipe insulation method? Temperatures have plummeted here (north Texas) and I actually had to pull out my coat. If I'm going to play with grille blocking, now is the time...and I don't know what to do with pipe insulation.

I presume that you remove it in the warmer weather?

Chuck

7. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If I had a choice between 20 and 40 minute commutes, I would choose the former, even with worse MPG, I would still save time and total fuel used.

9. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WOW, I hadn't seen that thread you linked. Mine certainly doesn't look that tidy. Crud, now I'm going to feel the need to redo it all! ;)

- D

10. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Two other ideas for using pipe insulation to block the grille ...

First, I found pipe insulation which has adhesive on one side of the split -- covered with pull-off plastic. You position the insulation, pull off the plastic cover of the adhesive, and thereby glue the tho edges together. That may help keep it on if the insulation can be positioned to let the two edges align.

Second, I've been thinking of using black plastic ties (plastic with ridges on one side, and one end goes into a fitting which secures it to whatever tightness you choose.

Here in SE Michigan, it's still a tad early for me to block it ... but that's going to change soon (where's global warming when I need it).

Rick

11. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Dealer response to blocked grille?

Has anyone taken their Prius into the dealer with the grille blocked -- what has been the dealer service response to this tactic? I figure they'll object, but how upset did they get?

Rick

12. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Okay, time for a followup on my block heater. 300 bucks three years ago.

I will be in the market for a new car in May, and will try the G3 Prius on a very cold day to see if the heat recapture adds value to the driving experience. The dealer installed option for an EBH in Canada is $460 now, so I did some experimentation.

Here are the driving conditions: Heater fan on LO, temperature on LO (Eek!) Temperature outside -6 C to -8 C, Cruise at 57 km per hour, same route which involves NO stopsigns or stoplights, no elevation change and no traffic to cause me to brake.

Scangauge II coolant reading 70 degrees C was the endpoint, since that's when the car becomes a full hybrid when stopped for 5-10 seconds. The distance travelled without prewarming the engine with the EBH for 3 hours was 7 km before 70 degrees C was achieved without the EBH. It was 6.6 km with the engine prewarmed with the EBH. Six hundred meters earlier, on the average over several mornings using each of the conditions.

Four hundred sixty bucks for that advantage? Save your money, everybody unless you live in Edmonton or Inuvik and block freeze-up is a significant risk. If I get the new Prius, I won't pay for an engine block heater. It's a waste of time and money.

Incidentally, I turned on the heater at the lowest setting, 18 C here in Canada when I hit that magical 70 degree mark, and the engine coolant fell immediately to around 60 degrees, and Phase 3 was unobtainable on the rest of my 16 km commute. I'm really, really hoping the new car gets decent mileage and allows the cabin to be heated at the same time. We'll see on a test drive, but the Prius has been a disappointing winter car for this enthusiast.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also have to say that I don't see the point of an EBH, unless you are totally fixated on the MFD mpg readout and can ignore the upfront cost of the EBH as well as the cost of electricity being consumed by the EBH.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've taken the 2006 & the 2010 (I think) to the dealer with the insulation in place. No comments. I'll also say that it depends on the reason for the visit. If it isn't a thermal problem they won't notice. If the inverter is cooked they'll blame the insulation.

They tried blaming my ScanGauge because their 12V battery failed.

The 2010's coolant temp starts at OAT. I keep the climate control on manual, fan speed at 2 bars & cabin temp at 74F. The car is comfy.

15. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Hey, folks. My car is back from the dealer after having its last oil change before I trade it in for a 2010. They removed all the grill blocking foam, saying I was going to fry my transmission or something. This is the same dealership that I took it to after having so much trouble with heating my cabin last year, and they told me the car was normal.

Anyway, the car is gone next week and I'm hoping the heat recapture strategy of the new black 2010 makes for warmer engine coolant.

16. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Final post on this.
    I got my 2010 yesterday and today, with 12 kilometers on it, I tried driving it on my route using the same conditions...-6 degrees C, heater on LO, fan on LO, cruise set to 57 km, ECO mode, and I hit 70 degrees C water temperature in 3.5 km, down from 7 km. Bravo, Toyota engineers on the heat recapture system, and a faster engine warmup. Looking forward to comfort next winter, as this one's almost gone.

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's pretty considerable difference! I know the 2010 is very much redesigned, and bravo to Toyota for improving things!