1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

30k update, paint suffering major road rash.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Skoorbmax, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    *UPDATE* 30k update, paint suffering major road rash.

*UPDATE*
    Heck, y'all were right. I have no idea what these specks were but I just rubbed a few off with my fingernail. I've seen specks of rust like this on a white car but these are white specks and mostly circular. Anyway, thanks! I guess the paint isn't suffering such road rash after all :) I'm told by SO there was no driving over fresh paint, but who knows. It covers a great deal of the car like it's happened a lot of times or was involved in some nasty spray or something (we don't bring it to the car wash, though).

---

Here is the paint after a fresh wash at 29,900 miles. Pretty bad. I don't even know how that happens on the rear bumper for pete's sake but you can see a ton of white specks there where seemingly anything that so much as thinks about touching the paint is going to leave it speckled. It looks fine from a distance but up close there's no hiding this. I leased the car @ 18k/year. I can only imagine how it will look at 54,000!

I don't drive many highway miles, mostly suburban type stuff, no dust or gravel roads whatsoever. Does suffer some salt collisions in the winter, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, my mug guards must be doing some good... I don't have anywhere near that many dings (on the sides). Now my front bumper skin is much the same.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have spots on the piece of clear plastic on the lower rear corner of your back door. You wouldn't have chipped through the paint there. It look like you have something on your paint rather than road rash.

Have you taken a close look?

4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure that's clear plastic? I assumed it was painted. I didn't look closely, but I'll do that. It had occurred to me that maybe these were some kind of residue from something else, but I took some scratch X to one section of paint and nothing came off, so they really do seem like damage to the clear coat. I'll check out that plastic section later in closer detail and rub at it for a while with a clay bar to confirm...

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's what I was going to point out. My guess is that it is soap residue from the wash or you might have run over a freshly painted road marking and have some paint reside - my wife did this last week with her car - the pressure washer and a shammy worked wonders.

6. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's not residue of some sort it's not damage to just the clear coat. It's gone thru the clear coat, thru the paint, and into the primer. One thing I noticed about the Prius is how ridiculously thin the paint/clear really is. They should have an option for a 2x or 3x layer of clear when you buy the car.

7. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it look more dramatic and enhanced because of the particular camera setting, exposure, angle, ambient light, etc?

It is somewhat not easy for me to tell based on the picture if it is more or less than normal.

8. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP, xs650 has a good point. That plastic piece would have reacted differently to chipping. Maybe you got some "up spray" from a road where new white lane lines were just painted? If you have any paint thinner, you could experiment on a very small section and see if it rubs off.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update first post.

10. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go to Wal-Mart and buy a Meguir's clay bar kit.

11. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK - good to know. Be careful if you decide on a solvent to remove the specks. Prius clear coat is not too forgiving. Don't use rubbing compound. I've already guffed an area of my car that way. Try a solvent on the the lower rocker panels first - least visible. Quickly remove the solvent too. It still looks like a big job to correct.

12. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It almost looks like smaller spots from when I ended up getting concrete dust stuck on my car. It just so happened to rain really heavy and I was parked in the parking garage at work that they are working on. I still haven't gotten it all off, and some of it is protected by a coat of wax now.

Any suggestions for the spots of concrete? I have a few small spots left on the windshield I couldn't get off, either (I could try a razor blade on the glass, but not paint).

13. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To find out if the concrete can be dissolved, maybe put a soaking wet towel on the windshield area where the concrete bits are and let it sit for an hour. If that doesn't soften the concrete, it might be a special blend. If it works, rinse it off or carefully blot it up so it doesn't scratch the glass - don't rub. You could then try the method on the paint. Careful though as concrete can scratch the clear coat very easily. Good luck.

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look like salt deposits to me.

15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll try clay bar first, if that doesn't work I'll try scratch x 2.0 better, but I think the clay should do it that stuff is pretty magical.

16. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    This stuff works! Got the mothers clay bar kit at Oreilly's 13 bucks came with 2 clay bars and spray. Had some white paint specks ( painted house on a windy day) looks marvelous!