1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

35k mile service

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mechanicpanic, Jun 23, 2022.

1. mechanicpanic

mechanicpanic New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a 2017 Prius and just took it in to the Dealer for an oil change. Before looking at the car, they told me I need to get the brake fluid replaced for $250 and get the hybrid fan filter replaced and the ducts cleaned out for $400. When I look at scheduled maintenance for a 30 or 35k service online I don't see those mentioned. I declined as I figured I'd look into before shelling over the dough. Any opinions as to whether these are necessary or whether getting done now perhaps at an independent shop?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well done!
    just follow your included toyota maintenance schedule. no need to further line dealers pockets with your hard earned money.
    they are not necessary at all. brake fluid has a time or miles schedule, follow the shorter.

cooling fan is unnecessary unless you carry shedding pets or the like. keep your eye on the intake grille and filter for a clue.
    if you're going tokeep the car for many hundreds of thousands of miles, many here will recommend a tranny fluid change every 50k or so. toyota calls it lifetime, which is around 150k.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Service writers working on their weekly/monthly bonus checks. Find a qualified independent Prius shop.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That seriously was the gist of their language, that you need these things doing? Neither item is in the US maintenance schedule, both have their merits, but they are elective.

That aside: both dollar amounts are about double a reasonable charge.

Maybe tell them you'll consider it, but would like to confirm both the necessity and cost of both, with Toyota USA. That might carry some weight, but I'm beginning to wonder... :(

FWIW: Toyota Canada recommends tri-yearly or 48K km (30K mile) brake fluid changes. I've done ours (3rd gen, similar) a couple of times now, using the proscribed non-Techstream brake bleed instruction in the Repair Manual, coupled with multi-watches of @NutzAboutBolts video.

The actual procedure took an hour at most, and I used two pint bottles of Toyota DOT3 fluid (about $8 per bottle. My wife helped, pushing the brake pedal. It took maybe one more hour, for raising/lowering the car and removing/installing wheels.

I've also cleaned the hybrid battery fan on ours, twice I think. It takes about an hour, tops.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    They stopped short of telling you that you need to hand them your wallet. Always a good idea to find a good reputable shop after the warranty ends that can do work on your car for less than what the stealership charges.