1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$35k Model 3 now available

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by iplug, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, marketing. they're good, aren't they?:cool:

iplug likes this.
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And if the flaws you mention don't exist??

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My experiences:
    • Electrify America at Manchester TN revealed that early one was both unreliable and expensive, 3-4x the cost of gas.
    • EVgo in Nashville TN revealed they are reliable but expensive, 3-4x the cost of gas.
    • L2 chargers are sometimes under-rated, 16-24 A; sometimes public ones are broken, and; Bling network was expensive before all but going out of business in Tennessee.
    • Dealer chargers are locked up outside of business hours, often under-rated, and often ICEd by other dealer cars.
    • No evidence other EV makers are supporting or expanding, 24x7, fast DC chargers.
    • NEMA 14-50 has turned out to be surprisingly available thanks to RVs and the ShoreCharger.com network, 208 VAC 30 A, amazingly affordable, $2 first hour and $1 per hour thereafter, ~1/2 of gas.
    I have no SuperCharger network experience but am intrigued by: Tesla Unlocks V2 Supercharger 145 kW Rate Via New Software Update

Tesla is now applying its innovative over-the-air software update ability to enable 145 kW-charging for the Model 3. We’re looking at an increase in charging rate of upwards of some 20 percent. Keep in mind, this is prior to the mass implementation of Tesla’s sought-after V3 (250 kW) Superchargerscoming online and expanding incrementally. . . .

Bob Wilson

#243 bwilson4web, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    iplug likes this.
  4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats @bwilson4web on the upgrade! The SR+ is arguably the best value in the Tesla fleet. Excited to hear your thoughts on everything when you try them firsthand.

Got my first OTA upgrade today. Feels magical and awesome to know that my car is more powerful (and safer) today then when I bought the car. The upgrade was for 5% more peak power and alerts if I'm running a red light.

5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Got a VIN this morning. Called the local Tesla service/delivery center a few miles away and the car is on hand. The Model 3 SR+ should be delivered later this morning after getting detailed at the center.

bisco, Zythryn and markabele like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <drool>

iplug and markabele like this.
  7. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    44DF7DFC-4207-4386-B682-04D3DCD5BF2F.jpeg
    The Model 3 has landed! :)

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Beauty! Congratulations!!

iplug likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exciting, congrats!(y)

can't wait to hear all about it.:)

iplug likes this.
  10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    mine and yours must be brothers (or sisters)!

iplug likes this.
  11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Congratulations! Beautiful Car! Welcome to the Tesla family. I think it is funny that my waste pickup day is Tuesday too! :D

iplug likes this.
  12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Will do. Will write up my impressions in a few days after getting a better feel for everything and have more hands on experience.

So far I can saw, wow! What a blast to drive. There are a few areas that could use improvement, but most things easily exceed expectations plus a few welcome surprises.

Appreciating how Tesla does not try to soak the customer for their aftermarket products.

My J-1772 adapter (wanted an extra to leave on one of our home L2 charging stations) and all weather interior floor mats arrived today. Both are top notch quality with excellent prices. The J-1772 adapters are rugged, appear well made, and fit snug like a glove. The floor mats fit perfectly, have velcro nonslip pads for the front driver and front passenger sections, and have a small to medium lip around the edges for rainy/snowy/muddy situations. IIRC, these were made in collaboration with WeatherTech who makes excellent products.

13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Looking @iplug 's car, I think the aero wheel covers look best on the black car, second best on midnight silver. I don't think the color of the wheel covers matches well with the other body colors including my Pearl White. I like the looks of the aero wheel covers and they are more aerodynamic than running without them by as much as 10%. So I "fixed" my wheel covers so they look better,I think, on my white car. I'll post a picture when my project is complete.

markabele likes this.
  14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :D (Tesla grin)

I presume you never had a test drive before picking up your car. Neither did I although I had ridden in one as a passenger. It is difficult to understand what a Tesla is all about and the fanboy excitement..........until you drive one. And it gets even better the more you drive it and take full advantage of all the technology. And your car gets better with age through OTA updates and improvements.

15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Have had the opportunity to drive a Model S about 3 years ago and Model 3 about a year ago from friends who had newly acquired them. Just drove them around the 25mph suburb block, so kept it respectable for the neighbors and was not able to open the throttle up; also didn't have much time to play around with them at the time. It takes some time to absorb everything, as you can probably attest to.

Yes, the speed in really cool. But much more than that, it’s the whole experience put together – the attention to numerous details, function, fit/finish, software integration, etc.

Zythryn and bisco like this.
  16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After 3+ months of ownership, I am still tinkering with the settings and fine-tuning everything. Every week I learn something new and cool about the car. I just added a thumb drive with 4K+ songs to my audio files and can access it from the U.I. calling out specific music through voice commands. I haven't even tried basic summons or autopark yet! So much to discover and learn! And when no one is looking, I just love punching it at a stop sign. :eek:

iplug likes this.
  17. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did the 3 come with the J1772 adaptor?

18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes.

19. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nice! Second question. Does it lock completely when plugged in and you're away from the car? Or can someone simply walk up and disconnect it on either side of the adaptor?

20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nope, you're good there.

The adapter locks to the car so resistant to such sticky fingers. As far as the J-1772 to the adapter, not sure about that.